JD gets some credit for this debacle too...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Sep 29, 2020.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Because the cap is expected to go down.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Actually Vegas had the Jets going 7-9 before the season started.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Vegas follows the money and the Jets always draw more money than they're worth. The Jets were 27th in the ESPN pre-season power rankings. They were no higher than 24th anywhere in the sporting world and they had a lot of 30 action going on.

Then of course all the injuries began and the bottom dropped out in the power rankings. Not that it would have mattered much. Crowder isn't the kind of player that makes a bad team good, he's the kind of player that can make a good team great. Mims is a rookie and rookie WR's are usually a mess.

Ralebird likes this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Parcells was planning a hybrid 3-4/4-3 as part of his 2 year Lombardi push. He likely reasoned that it was easier to match up against opposing offenses if you had flexibility in the front 7. Having the weak side rush threat be a LB was something he was more experienced with and he probably didn't want to line up Douglas in space on the downs he wasn't rushing. Farrior was drafted to fill that role even though he (as the Steelers showed) was more suited to being an ILB than an OLB. Note that Farrior was an ILB at Virginia and the Jets tried to convert him to OLB.

The Keyshawn trade was a forced trade. Keyshawn wanted the biggest contract a WR had ever gotten, an achievement he managed to fulfill after the TB trade. Parcells knew that a player focused on money is a very bad distraction in a locker room. it makes more players look at their looming payday and it distracts from the team-orientation that is particularly necessary in football with the large roster sizes. Once Keyshawn made it clear that he was going for a record-breaking contract the handwriting was on the wall and it was just a matter of finding the right deal.

Remember that Parcells was a big believer in how group think works among athletes. He wouldn't let injured players travel with the team nor stand on the sidelines at home games because he didn't want the injury bug hitting other players. Once players begin thinking about injuries they start to happen and Parcells did everything he could to remove the thought from their minds. The money pre-occupation is a similar group think that can get out of hand and Parcells did what he had too to keep that from happening.

Bill Belichik does the same thing with the Pats. Once a player makes his intentions clear about money BB sends him packing, even if he is a star caliber player.

REVISion likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Hey JD, we need a WR, so sign this beast!

6. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Gase's problem is he thinks his system works whoever players you have. He doesn't adjust. He thinks if a play didn't work it was because of player error. A perfect example is the Ravens & how they changed up their offense to work with Jackson who is the farthest thing from Flacco who they started the 2018 season with. They adjusted to Jackson. I give a lot of credit to OC Greg Roman (who I would like to see as our new HC ). HE'S done it with Jackson, Smith & Kapernik, he knows how to get the best out of the players he has. Gase needs to go.

7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

exactly....great coaches change their system to fit the talent....Belichick and Harbaugh are probably the best examples of this, and Pete Carroll as well. Gase is the farthest from it

8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I would, too.

9. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Some credit? That's quite a understatement.

Ironically enough, if tonight is coach Gase's last stand as the NY Post is calling it, the power play Gase made & won last year against MacCagnan was his downfall.

The franchise would be in a much better place right now had MacCagnan stayed and coach Gase would be in a much better position.

10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

11. Boomboom

Boomboom Active Member

LMAO to late for that now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

12. JerzeJets

JerzeJets Active Member

You're kidding that the franchise would be much better off with Mac right now right?

How do you figure?

wewantsapp, BudJet and REVISion like this.
  13. WarriorRB28

I've explained it in another thread before. I don't have the time right now (I'm at work).

Look where we're at now. Talk of firing yet another coach in week 4.

If coach Gase had stayed in his lane and allowed MacCagnan to do his thing I'm convinced the team wouldn't be where it is now.

14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

What? Mac was literally one of the worst GM's of all time. We should've gotten rid of him earlier if anything.

15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Allowing Mac to "do his thing" resulted in the team having absolutely no talent at any position. We are easily the worst roster in the NFL and that was true even before the Jamal trade.

SOJAZ, wewantsapp, BudJet and 2 others like this.
  16. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Absolutely not! Mac set this team back 3 years. Now JD is trying to fix that, but you can't expect him to fix it in 1 season. We have a lot of cap space, a lot of draft picks this year & next. JD will get it fixed...& hopefully it will be with a HC he picks & not CJ. CJ may want to win, but he doesn't have a clue how.

#116 BudJet, Oct 1, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    REVISion likes this.
  17. WarriorRB28

At this point there's no point in debating it because we'll never know what would've happened.

I'm just using simple logic Adams & Robby were his guys they'd still be here and the Jets would be a much better team because of it and Darnold was his guy too he would've loaded up the arsenal to give Darnold every chance to succeed and we'd be finding out about Darnold.

Now the Jets may never find out about Darnold or not here at least.

I'm hoping the Jets win tonight then beat the Cardinals that would allow coach Gase to stabilize the season. I think he'd save his job and buy another season for himself & Darnold we'd have some continuity. Then in 2021 with (I hope) much more talent we could begin to find out what the plan is.

We'll see.

Ralebird likes this.
  18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The time to build around Darnold was 2018 and 2019. Even 2017 was a missed opportunity as there were offensive players to be had on day 2. Maccagnan should've fortified the OL and given Sam as many weapons as possible to put him in a position to succeed.

Jets81, SOJAZ and REVISion like this.
  19. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

you're kidding, right?

Maccagnan staying is in no universe better for our team....

not sure if this is sarcastic or not...hard to tell on posts sometimes, but Mac was a terrible GM who will likely never get another GM job again...he sucks. He ignored OL forever, used premium picks on non-premium positions, and passed on both Watson and Mahomes to take a damn safety because he though Hack could play.

there is no defense of Mac...He was one of the worst GMs in our history, and with guys like Idzik, Bradway, and such, that’s quite a feat.

Jets81, SOJAZ, wewantsapp and 2 others like this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Mac is the reason we are in this mess. Make no mistake, worst GM ever. Gase saw that and was smart enough to say, fuck this, I have no shot to get a good team with this inept dude making picks. Unfortunately for Gase, he is showing that being smart and being a good coach do not go hand in hand.

SOJAZ, wewantsapp, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.