Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

This goes back to CJs comment that he didn’t want to embarrass Macc, he doesn’t want to embarrass gase... there was talk of firing gase in jets camp for sure, got leaked, now this. Maybe a ploy, but will see. Also said waiting to make a u turn, well u turn to where? Trash dumpster!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. Sack exchange

More of gase antics... embarrassing.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Not firing Gase means that they have completely given up on Darnold. There is no way that you can argue that getting rid of the head coach who has stunted his development for going on two years now would be detrimental to his progress. Either CJ or Douglas or both have already moved on from darnold. Fucking stupid.

NCJetsfan and Sack exchange like this.
  4. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

The reports today. Geez. Who to believe. Earlier in the week the fans were going to be freed. Now he'll be safe. The one time I wish fans could be at the stadium. No one would go tonight. The booing would be awful. The Johnson's would have no choice. With no fans they can keep him. We'll be apathetic. Not sure what they'll need for the change. It's sad and crazy.

5. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Is anyone shocked? Clearly the guy holds grudges and will do anything to prove he is right and the other person is wrong. Sadly since he is controlling and only uses his system it hurts his team and no one else. As much as I do not like the Patriots it is what makes Belicheck great. He changes things up based on his strengths and his opponents weaknesses. Gase has never done that. If only we executed. Awful leader and coach. 19 games and it just gets worse.

K'OB and Since1969 like this.
  6. Sack exchange

I do agree, the demoralizing the players... mixed signals.

7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

It's what makes good coaches good. Look how Baltimore tailored that offense around Lamar and the 3 TE sets. It must feel nice to have a Coach who puts round pegs into round holes vs square pegs into round holes like Gase.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

2021 is where we're looking at this point. That's the thing to do when the team is bad and there are no likely miracles in the offing.

Gase will likely be gone after the season and Douglas will have his second whack at free agency and the draft. The big question this time around is whether or not Douglas thinks Darnold is salvageable or not. If he wants to go a different direction he'll likely have the high pick to do that. He'll have extra picks due to the Adams deal and he may well trade down some instead of up, particularly if he thinks Darnold still has some play in him.

This is the way rock bottom teams build. They make a lot of chips to play with and they try to develop enough of them into blue chips to make the roster good.

The situation the Jets are in right now is probably as bad as anything since 1976. There's just not enough talent to put a coherent team on the field and the injuries are mounting.

9. Sack exchange

Yeah personality wise they rival each other, both a holes, but coaching wise bb is HOF coach, gase a wanna be.

10. Br4d

Lamar Jackson is kind of a unique talent. You can't compare what he brings to the field to what Darnold brings to the field because teams have to game plan around containing Jackson and that makes all the players around him better.

11. Br4d

Your description of Belichik is inaccurate as of 2001. Once Bledsoe got knocked off the field Belichik and Weis were forced to be flexible. Before that they were 5-13 with the Pats.

Just saying that 99% of the crap we say about Gase is just that: crap. The one thing that is clear to me at this point is that he is about the unluckiest HC I have ever seen and on that basis firing him at the end of the season is probably the right move. Snakebit franchises can't afford to have snakebit head coaches.

12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

what? Harbough and Roman could have tried to make Lamar a pocket passing QB who throws the ball 30+ a game. That isn't who he is. They tailored the entire offense around him. BB tailors his entire offense around what the strength of the team is. Look at Cam running around like he is when he first came into the league. That is what good coaches do - put players in the position to succeed rather than trying to force your players into a system.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. Sack exchange

I am convinced that if Darnold was in better situation he would be pretty good. At very least, Certainly he would be better than he is. Imagine he was drafted by chiefs! I bet Mahomes more than happy jets didn’t take him. IMHO, the problem is gase mostly, but the talent level contributes to the issues. But I think the culture plays key role! Should be culture of enabling success, motivating, and reward centric. The GMs change but the behaviors don’t, so could be ownership getting in way...

K'OB, ColoradoContrails and rammagen like this.
  14. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Yeah it’s the only logical explanation to keep Gase around. I hate taking flak because I either want them to tank because it’s obvious they’re not trying to win football games OR fire the coach and attempt to save the season. There’s no keeping Gase and making an honest attempt at winning IMO.

15. Br4d

My point is that with his wheels Jackson is a very hard player to defend. You can't compare him to Darnold as if Gase had the option to use Darnold differently and it would have made a big difference at this point.

What would have made a big difference is if the Jets had a couple of quality WR's for Darnold to throw too his first 3 years and if they had an OL that allowed the Jets to use play action effectively and if they had the RB's to get some yards on the ground when they needed too instead of just on 2nd and 3rd and long.

I'd go down the list of who has actually been available for Darnold to play with but there's no need: you know he's been playing with lesser talents his entire career.

Crowder is a slot receiver. Slot receivers are only of real value when there are actually good WR's on the outside and the QB has the time to choose who he throws too - mostly things Darnold has not had access too in his career so far.

16. Br4d

How do you save the season by firing the HC?

If I thought the Jets had actual talent and they were going through the motions I'd be all for firing Gase. They don't have talent on the active roster and I see no evidence at all that they're just going through the motions. Watch Maye and Berrios and tell me you think they're just going through the motions.

17. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

It’s not about wins and losses here. It’s actually putting up competitive performances, which we have had 0 thus far. It’s about not further ruining Darnold or having Quinnen Williams or Becton no longer having a desire to play for this team.

ColoradoContrails and rammagen like this.
  18. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

I believe gase is bad coach, not snake bitten, I think he had a big cause in that thought like injuries for instance, that can be traced to his practices which have been commented on as being easy/lite where he does not take an active part
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...dam-gase-coach-sluggish-practices/3507609001/
    https://www.newsday.com/sports/foot...ld-avery-williamson-adam-gase-jets-1.49706685
    he does not coach to his players strength
    https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/...0191206-hbgzot5zy5dkzi34yrpl7xk4fq-story.html

19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with Gase's offense. I think it is fine and should work to Sam's strength. The problem with Gase is that he is a horrible play caller. He did a good a job last year scripting plays in the second half of the season but he has never proven to be a good play caller. Calling plays is more of an art than a science. It is somewhat of chess match with DC of the other team. Gase wants to be the OC not the head coach and he is not good at that. The offense of philosophy is sound if you have an OC QB like Manning.

My biggest concern is the way the O-line is being coached. I am not an o-line expert but the blocking schemes and the play calls just do not seem to work together. I think Gase's horrible play calling sets up the o-line to fail. If we do not fire Gase this season the play calling duties need to be taken away from him at minimum.

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I disagree with every word of these two sentences.