JD gets some credit for this debacle too...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

This is my issue with Gase...he doesn’t coach to the players we have. Great coaches do. As much as I hate Belichick, he changes the offense or defense to fit his talent. Gase doesn’t.

Just like I hated Paul Hackett way back in the day...those days the story was that his offense was so amazingly intricate that it takes a couple years to learn it. What kind of asinine bullshit was that? If it’s so complex that it takes years then it’s not the right offense.

we have had shit GMs and shit coaches for so long...

Gase was a terrible hire from the go...why we had to rush to hire a just fired coach with a losing record is beyond me...

2. JerzeJets

JerzeJets Active Member

I also disagree that Douglas is a bad GM but I do blame him for a lack of weapons obtained via the draft. Overall his draft was solid but I hate taking a qb in the 4th.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, it doesn't. Just because he didn't take one of those 4 WRs doesn't mean that he's building around Gase. I'm certain that he has had doubts about Gase. He probably decided that based on his doubts about Gase, the wisest course would be to wait until next year to add more WRs to see what happened with wait and see what type of WR the next HC/OC want, to wait because there were other areas/position groups that needed help, and because he didn't have any of those 4 WRs rated that highly. That would be the smart thing to do. Even if he is building around Gase, he didn't force the issue by taking WRs that Gase wouldn't/couldn't use. He was smart to wait until next year until there were WRs who would fit Gase's system. You can't have it both ways that Douglas is wrong for not drafting WRs and wrong for building around Gase.

4. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

LOL is all I can say to this. Dude sucked Macc's dick for years up til the end, but now it's Douglas' fault? Amazing.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and LAJet like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Mehta sensationalizes everything especially when the Jets have staff members that have identified him as a weasel and don't want to talk to him. So this is as bad of a slam piece as anything.

Douglas and his resume are still incomplete. I thought his off-season was pretty good. I don't understand why there wasn't a bigger push to trade Adams before the draft either to be honest. Everything pointed to him turning into a problem child.

I don't think all of his points are wrong though. The roster construction is strange and this is still a team with very little offensive talent. The guards still suck and we had the balls to release one to save pennies we're not using.

If this team is not competitive next year then his resume starts moving from incomplete to bad. It doesn't take 3-4 NFL off seasons to rebuild a franchise like it does in the NHL or MLB. It takes two good drafts and some strategic free agent signings. The roster also looks much worse because everyone's hurt. But it's exposing the lack of depth badly.

And I still can't figure out why we aren't trying to sign every receiver off the street or bringing them in for workouts. Our practice squad should be 9 receivers and 4 offensive lineman at this point. And I'm only half exaggerating.

At this point though we're pretty much locked into Douglas. We've turned everything over in terms of coaches and GM and what not too frequently. You don't want continuity for continuity's sake, but at this point he's the closest thing to stability we're going to get. And while I didn't love his draft (liked it though) he didn't really make any egregious picks of guys with 6th round grades in the 3rd like McDougal back in the day.

JerzeJets likes this.
  6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Mike MacIdiot is the reason the cupboard is so bare. And blame the Johnsons for keeping him so long.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Yup!!

I'll depress everyone for a second. Here is a list of his draft picks:
    • Leonard Williams
    • Devin Smith
    • Lorenzo Mauldin
    • Bryce Petty
    • Jarvis Harrison
    • Deon Simon
    • Darron Lee
    • Christian Hackenberg
    • Jordan Jenkins
    • Juston Burris
    • Brandon Shell
    • Lachlan Edwards
    • Charone Peake
    • Jamal Adams
    • Marcus Maye
    • ArDarius Stewart
    • Chad Hansen
    • Jordan Leggett
    • Dylan Donahue
    • Elijah McGuire
    • Jeremy Clark
    • Derrick Jones
    • Sam Darnold
    • Nathan Shepherd
    • Chris Herndon
    • Parry Nickerson
    • Folorunso Fatukasi
    • Trenton Cannon
    And people want to throw blame at Douglas?! LMAO

Fuck. This is why we suck

8. Jonathan_Vilma

And while Maye has turned out to be solid and one of my favorite players, his selection perplexed me. Two fucking safeties. Considering we spent $100 million on the secondary two years and a month prior I was dumbfounded that that's the way we went.

tomdeb, ColoradoContrails and Falco21 like this.
  9. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

I nearly threw myself off the deck after reading that list. Let JD pick his own HC, and then he will own it.

10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

LOL

I was remembering my initial reaction when he did that while I wrote the names. Two bad ass picks, that's for sure, but made ZERO sense.

What a moron

11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Could've gotten Cook or Kamara with that pick. Sigh....

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Legend has it that we wanted to move up to get Kamara. But we stuck with ArDarius Smith.

It's sad looking at all of those picks because a lot of those guys don't even get camp invites anywhere. They just go from the Jets to out of the league. That's how you know the talent evaluation is absolute trash.

tomdeb and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

ColoradoContrails and papapump like this.
  14. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

The Bills built around Josh Allen. They fixed their offensive line two years ago to make it at least average and gave some okay weapons in John Brown and Cole Beasley. They set up Gore and Singletary to run a lot. Then last year they pulled the trigger on acquiring Diggs, who looks just as good as when he was in Minnesota.

I think before the injuries and Sam looking bad, we kind of looked like Buffalo from last year. I don’t get why the offensive line is getting such crap when I think Fant and Becton look better than Edoga and Beachum last year. Crowder compares to Beasley and Perriman to John Brown. The Bills don’t even have a tight end like Herndon. To me the talent isn’t great but we should have enough to not get blown out every week. They should have picked another receiver instead of Gase picking Morgan to be the 3rd string QB (yes it was Gases pick).That was a dumb pick when you’re supposed to be trying as hard as possible to help Sam. If they didn’t like the WR prospects in the 4th, they could have traded the pick for a veteran receiver that fell out of favor somewhere.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

The only knock on Douglas IMHO is the mismanagement of WRs. I care less about Robby leaving the building but there were opportunities to draft another WR rather than take some of the other perplexing picks from Round 4 onwards.

We also seem to have this annoying habit of churning the WR corps by adding less-than-mediocre 500-600yd receivers (Perriman, Doctson, Hogan) and expecting a different outcome. I’m happy that we’ve stopped giving out blockbuster free agency contracts to these JAGs but we may as well toss in another PS/UDFA guy and get similar production and a chance of progression.

papapump likes this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

1000% correct. Therein lies the problem and is not even close. The horseshit Metha wrote to put a dagger in JD was absolute pitiful garbage with zero fucking substance. He had his head up Mac's ass, the worst of the worst GM's ever, yet he made zero mention that the reason we had to load the picks in 2020 is because we had diddley shit to start with thanks to that useless prick and the idiot ownership that gave him one last chance to fuck it completely up in 2019. Yet here we are arguing over selecting a defensive player with the third, who mind you has not seen the field yet because of injury, and passing judgement that he might not be a good fit for us. As if our defense does not need help. We haven't seen Mimms yet, but that was not worth noting either, or the great punter on the six, and what made it the POS that he is is his comment about Becton. He is absolutely the biggest worthless snake and not worth reading because he knows nothing but how to smear shit and see what sticks. Yes, another widebody WR would have been nice, its always nice to criticize after every fucking player gets injured. Meantime from day one the HC staff can't put a game plan together and the execution is dismal across the board but hey, who cares, if we had one more WR instead of a QB we would have demonstrated more willingness to give Sam, who is retrogressing rapidly thanks to Gase, one more weapon to miss.
    There was no way in hell JD could have fixed the clusterfuck that Metha's asshole buddy left us in 2020.....not without a miracle and having a real coach that helps.

17. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I was looking earlier and forgive me if I'm not exactly correct but not counting JD's draft - there are 11 players total on our team out of the past 5 drafts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ralebird likes this.
  18. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

To soon to give JD any credit wheter its positive or negative.

I look at the team we have on paper and think that it's decent enough to fulfill the major issue we had heading into this year "Is Sam Darnold any good?".

Injuries have sure taken their toll to the point that our complete lack of depth makes answering that question an iffy prospect but even without them, I look at that list of players we have and look at the system that Gase seems to want to use and think "They do not match!".

So either Gase has to show his coaching chops by adjusting his system to the talent or coaching his talent to the system. He'll live and die by which option he takes and the results for whatever reason have not been promising.

19. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

This post and my previous post got split up some how. But I didn't check Buffalo's numbers but I'd imagine they are better than this. Our draft history is miserable and the draft is the lifeblood of a franchise. Our lifeblood is rotten.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

20. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Don’t forget whiffing on two receivers after that

tomdeb and ColoradoContrails like this.