If we have #1 2021 pick, Trevor should pull an Eli Manning

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by IDFjet, Sep 29, 2020.

1. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Even as a life long Jets fan I feel this organization is so bad that I pity the great young athletes who get drafted here.

I really believe that the NFL players union should intervene for the sake of these guys. I don't know what the solution would look like. The destruction of talent can't be allowed to just go on year after year.

Lawrence's people would be wise to let it be known if the NYJ have #1 pick, that he will not play for NYJ--either sitting out or staying in college another year or whatever.

2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Yea cause I’m sure the team that holds the #1 pick next year is gonna be in great shape.

JetBlue, Ralebird, barfolomew and 6 others like this.
  3. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

There's another side to this argument, which is quite compelling. The Jets have a great GM and most likely will have a MUCH better head coach before next year's draft. Also, the Jets have a lot of high draft picks AND a lot of cap space to sign free agents. Oh, and I almost forgot. They have Mount Becton. Don't fret. The future looks bright for the Jets. The present is pretty fugly though.

#3 dmw, Sep 29, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    amuck57, Brook!, Pepsiguy5 and 5 others like this.
  4. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

What is the date that he'd have to declare for the draft or skip it?

Once he's declared and gone pro then he's lost all leverage as he can't return to college football and play out his eligibility(?) so he would skip the risk of an injury or regression but that might cause him to fall as other players overtake him or he gets a reputation for being awkward and all that means ofc a financial loss.

Not sure if he/his family is independently wealthy enough to skip a #1 contract in the biggest media market in the US where even a competent display of QB'ing would see him heralded as the saviour of the franchise and the best thing in Jets football since the guarantee.

If he's in the pot but refusing to sign for the Jets prior to the #1 pick then we're all about Fields at this point so will only trade out to a place that we can get him. That's going to be in the region of second or third pick so his choice is then another similarly crap team and if it's the Giants then there's no way on gods earth we'd give them the next Andrew Luck/Peyton Manning.

5. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Dude--Becton is hurt already--imagine Becton on a team like Dallas--he's a future hall of famer. You know whats gonna happen to him on the jets? Injuries, bad plays, etc. He'll be lucky to be traded while he still has a chance for a great career.

6. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Hey man--its a financial risk for him and that's why I think the NFLPA should get involved. I'm coming from a place that views the sport of football ideally--not as merely a business. It's grossly unfair to take this hero and put him on the massive dungheap known as the NYJ. He will make millions but for the sport, its crap and demeaning.

I'm serious--the NFL needs to figure out what to do with this team since they are such a stain on the league on so many levels.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don;t understand why an alleged Jets fan would adopt this POV.o_O I understand being pessimistic, but what do you gain by posting something like this? Are you going to to become Lawrence's agent? Everyone's entitled to their opinions here, but this doesn't make sense on a Jets fan board.

FinnishJET, nycarl, Brook! and 12 others like this.
  8. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

OP needs to take it easy with the day drinking.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

9. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

That shit worked out for Eli's brother.

barfolomew and Jets81 like this.
  10. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

[/QUOTE]

You're right--most message board folks are sunshiners who really don't care about the athletes and their health and well-being. I've only recently gave a shit myself. I guess I wanted to get it off my chest and I don't have another outlet.

Carry on bro.

barfolomew likes this.
  11. Anybody thst doesnt wanna play here isnt apart of the solution.Better to find out now then after we draft them.

1st overall pick?A chance to write your own legacy & propel a snake bitten franchise w a beaten down fan base in the face of all the detractors?What Bold fearless leader of a QB is gonna shy away from that?

12. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

This OP is assuming that Gase will still be the coach. There's too many factors to consider before we even get to that time frame.

barfolomew likes this.
  13. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

You should tell all the posters still bitching about Jamal Adams being gone.

Guy was great-->Guy didn't want to be here-->People are mad at the GM?

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He just doesn't strike me as the type of kid to do that. The only three I'm aware of that have ever done that are both Manning's and Elway. Elway had a lot of leverage with his Yankee contract too.

And let's be honest - Eli nor Peyton made that decision. It was always Archie's call.

I'd assuming Lawrence would force a team to trade up to get him, but the #1 spot also gets the most money for what it's worth.

barfolomew and IDFjet like this.
  15. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I generally don’t sit around worrying about the health and well being of people I don’t know just like they don’t sit around worrying about me. We’re talking about grown men who are well compensated and know the risks.

If you’re actually worried about Trevor Lawrence and you don’t even know the guy, consider taking a step back for a bit.

barfolomew likes this.
  16. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Thanks for replying man,. I'm not getting a sympathetic ear here but my point is that yeah, Lawrence is not the type--he's probably very honorable etc and doesn't want to cause waves.

My point is that the NYJ are dishonorable and don't deserve the respect of the incoming athletes because they either stunt their development, harm their mental game, get them injured, or some combination of the 3.

Proof:
    Darnold is ruined--as they did to Sanchez
    Becton is already injured--you may say thats part of the game but I say the NYJ are putting him in a position to get injured--maybe shitty LG play or shitty offensive calls put him in more dangerous positions. I've seen this shit too much--its not a curse--its bad management
    Bless Austin: he's missed a couple tackles--played what--9 games? They'll mess his mental state up with condemnation. The best thing for him is to get cut or traded. He's a future all-pro on another team.

Danny Woodhead was lucky they cut him--had a great career. Lots of guys like this.

You know who agrees with me about this shitshow--BB. What foresight to get the hell off this team. Pete Carroll--1 year and gone. Gase gets 2+ years and verbal praise from management for having worst offensive team over a 2 year period.

I can recall plenty of solid average players ruined by this team. You recall Justin Miller? Only ran back 2 ko's for tds and then is benched 2 weeks later, cut next season, and screwed for life.

17. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I think its fundamentally wrong to take Lawrence and make him into Sanchez by year 3. Personally I am not worried about him or his welfare. He's a man and needs to make his choices--I think his best choice would be to do what I said.

But to the degree his choices or other players choices are limited due to NFL rules that make them play on the Jets, that bothers me. Athletes should have a choice to not play on this team due to its record of destruction of talent.

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

This is definitely an odd thread. I get it though. The disappointment of watching Darnold underachieve and be surrounded by garbage and set up to fail is upsetting. Then you watch how teams surround Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, etc with play makers and good coaches and it is difficult to witness. That is what this thread is truly about. Not Trevor Lawrence.

barfolomew, HomeoftheJets and IDFjet like this.
  19. JerzeJets

JerzeJets Active Member

The other side to THIS argument about cap space and draft picks is that its still the jets and they will find a way to screw it up. And THAT argument is even more compelling.

Really though: I still have hopes for JD but there is no way to say he's a great GM. There is also no way to assume that the next HC is much better than Gase (admittedly I dont think you can get much worse but we also thought that after Bowles) so again that's an assumption.

Your compelling stance is actually a lot of what ifs and assumptions, but factually if we go off past history, it suddenly isn't so compelling.

#19 JerzeJets, Sep 29, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    barfolomew likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

In addition, he would know how highly respected Douglas is, that Douglas is committed to rebuilding the OL to protect him, and that Douglas has a lot of draft picks and cap space with which to build around him. Also, think of the extra endorsement income he'd get, and how huge a star he would become performing well in the biggest media capital of the country, if not the world.