JD gets some credit for this debacle too...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Sec124DieHard and Ralebird like this.
  2. Boomboom

Boomboom Active Member

I believe that sometime between the last game and the off-season JD gave up on Sam and decided to tank this season and build from scratch. But if that's not the case and this was his idea of a competitive roster we got serious fucking problems lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

AndyDrums, REVISion and HomeoftheJets like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I feel like plenty of people have said this exact thing in the other Joe Douglas thread and as much as it hurts to agree with this idiot, I’m not going to take back my opinion now. Douglas absolutely deserves some blame. He’s not even in the top three when it comes to people that have fucked this up beyond belief but he’s most certainly on the list.

4. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

I know I’m a Manish lackey, but he’s spot on here! Fat boy is lucky Darnold and Gase are getting the brunt of the attention, although if Gase goes in-season, I wonder how much hotter Douglas’s seat will get. Most likely not enough, although this does remind me of Bowles final season. Mccagnan inexplicably was able to get by without much criticism, and was able to keep his job until Gase arrived and forced him out! Looking at JD’s FA class, and draft class though, there should be some concern giving him control to $100 million.

Even though we won’t be doing this, the more I think about it, I think I want John Dorsey here. The consensus point is that the HC of NYJ is too big a project for a coordinator, and we need an experienced coach, a Parcells if you will. Welp, I don’t know where that guy is coming from, but maybe we can lesson the need for a top flight coach if we go with an experienced gm. Looking at KC and Cleveland now, man, are those some talented rosters! And maybe more importantly, at least KC was built significantly through the draft + neither appear (maybe I’m wrong) to be in cap hell!

blackssmagic likes this.
  5. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Nope, he ain’t top 3. We’re still dealing with the ramifications of the, “IDZIK 12.” That said, JD hasn’t helped either.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IF, and that's a big if, Douglas' plan isn't on blowing this whole thing up and starting from scratch, then he does deserve some blame. If his plan is to start over and build the team from scratch, then he doesn't. Sometimes things have to get worse before they can get better. I believe that Douglas has a clear vision of the type of players he wants. I don't know if Sam fits that vision or not. He may think that Sam is young and can still be fixed, or he may think that Sam is too soft mentally and not intelligent enough. His seeing ghosts comment bothered me at the time and still does. That should have pissed him off and lit a fire under him, but it seems to have had the opposite effect.

For now, I'm going to put my trust in Douglas and believe that he knows what he is doing and has a sound reason for each and every move he's making. He may have made some mistakes. He's human and is a rookie GM. Watching someone else be GM and doing it yourself are two very different things. He may be too hung up on the character aspect. Not re-signing Robby Anderson and drafting Bryan Edwards may have been mistakes. Signing Kalil was a mistake, but was one made out of desperation when he had no other options aside from trying to trade for another team's backup C who could have been better than Harrison. We'll see how things play out.

7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I’m all in on Douglas so far but I’m curious about 3 things:

How will his draft class perform?

Will he be able to convince ownership to let him pick the next coach?

Will he be able to convince ownership to change the power structure of the organization?

#7 Jets81, Sep 29, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  8. Sometime this offseason he had to realize this team was a complete disaster talent wise & despite having cap space as well as trade ammo decided to sit back & let this thing rot.

Nobody is saying he could rebuild this team overnight but this team got worse from last yr & could ultimately be one of the worst teams in history.He did nothing to stop it

9. NCJetsfan

Did the team get worse from a talent perspective? I don't think so. It's basically the same players as last year with some good additions. Who were the big talents that we let walk away? Harrison? Winters? Shell? Anderson? Jamal Adams is gone, and that certainly has hurt, but I think JD wanted to keep Adams. He certainly said that he did enough times. Adams forced his way out.

If JD decided to just let it rot, he would have traded or released Avery Williamson and gained more cap space and probably would have brought in fewer FAs. JD thought his starting ILBs were going to be Williamson and Mosley. He didn't know that Covid was going to come along and Mosley was going to opt out. JD didn't know that so many players were going to get injured.

If he was just going to let it rot, he wouldn't have brought in as many FA OL as he did. The OL play has been better. The TE corps should be a strength, but it isn't because of Gase's stubbornness. I think he expected the team to be significantly better this year, but Covid screwed everything up. It cost the team mini camp, OTAs, offseason workouts, and preseason. Those things in turn, along with quite possibly Gase's practice regime resulted in a lot of players getting injured and going on IR. Douglas couldn't have foreseen that or wanted that. With Covid, Douglas couldn't even have been certain that the NFL season would happen.

I think he simply saw the handwriting on the wall at some point, and realized that Gase was not going to work as the HC and between Gase and Covid, there was a little chance of the team doing anything this year, so decided to save his assets for next year.

10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I don't blame Douglas at all for any of this and I will continue to maintain that belief throughout this entire season.

I have said it before and I will say it again, Douglas walked into a fuckin train wreck of a franchise and has had one offseason to start recovering it.

Douglas did not choose his head coach. Douglas also was not hired until after Mac completely fucked us on his last draft and was fired three weeks later.

Douglas walked into a franchise with no offensive line, no weapons, an ego driven head coach with question marks, injuries everywhere, and a big unknown at QB. He was tasked to fix it all and was given pennies to do it with, especially if the reports are true that he was held back in how much money he was allowed to spend in a season mirrored by a worldwide pandemic.

He did as much as he could to completely gut the offensive line and drafted one of the top rated pass blockers in the game today. He made logical trades that have now provided us with 10 draft picks next year, including two first round picks and two second round picks. He traded away a $10+ million receiver who could only run straight and he traded away an egomaniac safety who was a cancer in the locker room.

The argument can be made that he did not take more weapons for Darnold, but he also did not foresee Mims not playing in his first year. He also did not foresee the coach he was given, shit the bed yet again in his play calling. He did not sign Bell. He did not sign Mosley. He did not make all the idiotic moves that many people on here always refer back to.

Douglas has done the best he can for a franchise that was in the gutter before he stepped foot in this building. His draft picks have a lot to prove still and next year he will prove his worth with 10 picks.

I stand firm in my belief that Douglas does not belong on the list of blame for our current situation. I find it extremely hard to blame a man who walked into this mess with A LOT that he could not control.

11. NCJetsfan

It's so typical of Jets fans/posters here. We finally get a GM who has the background and potential to become a very, very good (if not great) GM and turn this franchise around, and because he didn't fix everything in one offseason or do things the way that they thought he should have, they're now turning on him, criticizing him, and some are even talking about firing him. SMH. Jets fans (including, and maybe especially me) are fucking insane.

dmw, BomberJet, Snatch Catch and 5 others like this.
  12. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Yes JD deserves some blame for this mess but he also deserves some leeway to fix this mess.

I think he realized that this team was not gonna compete this season and sees an opportunity with the cap declining the next few seasons.

With a war chest of draft picks and one of the few teams in great shape cap wise going forward he has a real opportunity to fix this pretty quickly or at least drastically upgrade the talent level pretty quickly.

NYJetsO12, dmw, Jets81 and 3 others like this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It looks like he acted as if he knew there was a better than average chance that he would be getting a new coach for 2021. He got gase all his guys on 1 year deals and worked on rebuilding the o line which is the easiest to transition coach to coach. He really set it up well , either gase has success and they are set up to move forward with cap and picks or all his guys leave with him and there’s a lean slate with picks and cap to entice a new coach. Injuries have helped sink gase, though I doubt it would have mattered but I have no problems with Douglas year 1.

dmw, Pepsiguy5, SOJAZ and 3 others like this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

So you think that he deserves absolutely no blame whatsoever? Why were the Bills... THE BILLS... able to fix their OL and improve their weapons all in one offseason but the Jets can't? I know how this convo goes, and really it's the only way it can go at this point until there's resolution. It's point/counterpoint galore. There weren't FAs available... but we only drafted one WR. There's injuries... but we didn't try to make a move and instead relied on UDFAs.

Long story short, until it's fixed, everyone who had a hand in the pot deserves to get splashed with some boiling water.

KurtTheJetsFan, Ralebird and SOJAZ like this.
  15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I will give JD 3 seasons to see some significant improvement, this season is not a good start tbh with a lot of this draft yet to see the field but hopefully, the injuries clear up and we get some live action out of them soon enough.

I am in a quandary about Gase, I want him out, there is no doubt about that but do I want him out now or at the end of the season when he has delivered us the number 1 pick?

Same can be said for Sam, he is still very young and there are flashes of a really good QB in there but then there are many more flashes of Bad Fitz and is it too late to get him back on the right path?

Will he have the desire to work hard to reach his goal? Let's face it, he is already a rich young man.

JD needs to be the man selecting the next HC and or OC if they are not the same person, they need to report to him and then he needs to report to the numpties.

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

This is an unfair criticism of Joe Douglas. He signed a 6 year deal for a reason. He is building this team long term, not for 2020. So yes, he can be blamed for not putting band aids on some positions for 2020, but that was his choice. He wanted to see which young guys would step up and then whoever didn't would be gone. He has no allegiance to anyone on this roster and unfortunately that includes Sam too.

Now Douglas went into 2020 thinking Sam would have Bell, Gore, Perine, Perriman, Mims, Crowder, Berrios, Smith, etc. Not great, but it wasn't as terrible as it has looked now with all the injuries.

You can blame him for little things like Robby, but I still don't view him as a great WR. The position can be upgraded with a better player. Maybe it won't be Perriman but someone else in 2021.

Jamal forced his way out, so that is not on him. He took over late and felt Center needed to be upgraded, so he tried the best he could. That failed but still.

Mosley opted out. He is one of the Jets' best players.

So it is complicated to blame Joe Douglas for too much. Yes, he could have made the team better for 2020, but his goal is clearly the future. 2021 and forward.

dmw, Snatch Catch, Gremlin and 6 others like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

As I said, he's human and he's a rookie, so he probably has made some mistakes. IMO whatever mistakes he has made have been blown out of proportion and there is WAY too much negativity regarding him. I think it's utter nonsense.

One cannot realistically compare what the Bills did with what Douglas was able to do. The situations were totally different, the players available in FA were totally different, the draft classes were different, the amount of cap space that each had and was able to spend was different. The year the Bills fixed their OL there was a large number of quality FA OL available. This year, not nearly as many and the quality wasn't as good. In addition, Douglas was supposedly limited by the Johnsons with how much he could spend.

You know that I was unhappy that he only drafted one WR. As long as he corrects that in 2021, I can live with that. He was trying to address as many holes as he could, and get the best players he could. Would you have had him take a 2nd WR that the Jets' draft board had rated significantly lower than the players that he took in the 3rd or 4th round? Do you think one of those WRs would really have made a difference? The Jets have had a ridiculous number of injuries, especially to the WR position. Even if he had drafted another WR or traded for one, I have no reason to believe that that WR wouldn't have gone down with an injury as well.

tomdeb likes this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

This is classic after the fact BS analysis by Mehta. The only valid criticism could be by not resigning Anderson. Yet I would venture to say that would have done little to nothing. Sam is simply playing scared, lacks total confidence and we only have Gase to blame for that. He has done shit to make him better except tie his hands behind his back. Our highly promising TE could not catch a cold, neither did every one else. Preparations is dismal, as is play calling. That is JD problem? The defense is playing crappy....but no one wanted to draft defense God forbid. The rest of his after the fact "pick the non performers" analysis is is garbage. Made no mention of the injuries. When the whole team is playing like shit there is something beyond the draft and free agency selections.
    As for the OL, he went balls out. Now a couple are banged up and uses the usual BS statement Becton fell on his lap, total cowardly trash comment, then makes references to the prior year and the signing of Khalil, the resigning of Griffith. Little bit and pieces of shit sprinkled with no substance. Where there other choices. So now is JD's s fault the players he either drafted or signed are banged up. And the BS about Mac being gone for a year and a half, where he neglected to mention that Mac was INSTRUMENTAL FOR THE TOTAL DRAFT LAST YEAR AND FREE AGENCY DISGRACE. For once put some facts together as to what he could have done realistically better, instead of regurgitating the same old BS. Classic shit from a shit rag.
    Lets look at JD after we have an NFL level HC in the building , one that knows how to get the best out of the players.

#18 LAJet, Sep 29, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    dmw, Quinnenthebeast, tomdeb and 3 others like this.
  19. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Lmao at the idea that his seat might start getting hotter. With how many years left on his 6 year deal?

And to ask why he couldn't turn it around the same way the Bills did? Did the Bills essentially punt the last 3 drafts? We did. JD took over a team that was missing not only big time talent but also depth players.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

20. NCJetsfan

Exactly! It's sad that anyone would put any credence whatsoever in what Mehta would write. He's always hated the Jets and hates them more now that they've revoked his credentials. He's a little shit weasel. He can't get fired soon enough to suit me.

Andy_M and ColoradoContrails like this.