Sam just isnt good... (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Whether because of him or in spite of him, the Giants won a division title in year 2 of Eli, and made the playoffs in year 3 as well. He was 19-13 over the course of year 2 and 3.

The league was also different even if we're only talking about a 14 year difference in the start of their careers.

This was a legal hit to a quarterback back then.

Five quarterbacks finished with completion percentages higher than the league leader in 2006. Three finished over 70% - a mark that was only reached four times before 2010 (one was Sammy Baugh in 1949 with 182 attempts and another was Ken Anderson with 9 games played). The leagues much different now so it's tough to compare.

2. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more and said so in a couple of other threads.... Frankly, Sam is lost and there doesn't seem to be anyone to help him. Get AG out of here get GW to be HC and Coots as OC...

Like JV stated lets see if he gets better with different coaches.... and please get him a QB coach.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Favre/Rodgers
    Manning/Luck

barfolomew likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Yes Favre/Rodgers is right. I don't really consider Manning/Luck to be of a similar transition though. The two sides mutually agreed on Peyton's release so they could take Luck. Really a once in a lifetime scenario.

There's usually very little intention to keep a quarterback once you draft another one with the #1 overall pick. Even in the Brees/Rivers scenario, Brees had thrown 11 touchdowns to 15 picks and they were ready to ship him out there the door. In the era of giving QB's a season to learn, they let him play in 2004 and I honestly think he shocked the franchise with his performance. But the decision was already made to go the other way because of the capital investment in Rivers, even if they gave Brees that second season before dealing him.

Similar thing with Favre and to be fair - while talented, Rodgers unorthodox throwing motion out of college (because of Redford) made him more of a project than most first round quarterbacks ever would be. Look at Favre the year before they drafted Rodgers and the year after. He shocked them with the 13-3 year after going 12-20 with 38/47 TD/INT ratio in 2005-2006.

Either way - I don't think this situation is anywhere near close to any of those three. This would more like the Vikings moving on from Teddy Bridgewater or the Rams moving on from Sam Bradford.

5. ColoradoContrails

I disagree, unless Darnold proves beyond all doubt that he can't be a FQB (not necessarily HOF, but good enough to win a SB). If he shows he still has the potential I don't see the Jets just cutting him loose or selling him cheap. Even if they get Lawrence, I see them holding onto both unless they're overwhelmed with an offer for Sam.

Consider that even if JD has a great FA and draft, this team is still going to be struggling with holes. We saw what happened with Sam when he was placed into that situation, and most rookie QBs would have a similar outcome, so why risk damaging Lawrence when you could have him sit behind Darnold for a year, maybe get some playing time, and then after next year keep whoever is better?

6. Jonathan_Vilma

I actually hope that if the Jets get the #1 pick, they hold on to Darnold and take Lawrence and the controversy creates itself with two good players. I'm a fan of the young quarterback sitting especially if the roster isn't ready for him.

7. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Frankly guys. It all boils down to what Joe Douglas thinks.

Douglas is most likely going to pick his coach and QB this off-season.

My take is Joe Douglas is a shrewd evaluator and will pull the plug on Sam without thinking twice if these 3 INT games continue.

SOJAZ and Jets81 like this.
  8. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

This thread needs to be renamed back to Sam Donald.

MoWilkBeast, Jets81 and sozopol like this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The first part of the post is great.

The second part splits the baby in two by suggesting that Sam Darnold has an impossible row to hoe but not realizing that Gase does also.

I guess that's how it goes in the NFL. The hardest job is QBing a team with very little talent. The second hardest is coaching that team.

Given the way the Jets have played over the last two seasons most fan bases would be screaming for the QB's head by now. Unfair but realistic given the way the game is seen by the fans. They'd also be squirming about the coaching but it's rare to see a fan base so out of sorts with a head coach in his second year with little talent to work with, particularly after the 6-2 second half last season.

However because the media (Manish in particular) got to filter the fan base's early view of Gase everybody is doubling down on him and giving the QB a free pass. The HC is getting all the hate at this point that would normally be landing on both him and the QB. I think that's one of the reasons Sam is so upset about the situation: he's aware that he is a big part of Gase's failure and the guilt is there in plain sight.

Note that in 1978 the fans were howling for Richard Todd's scalp but Walt Michaels was skating by the early pressure in his coaching regime.

Not saying we should be howling at Sam yet but the fact that Gase is becoming the scapegoat is a very very bad look for the Jets and the fan base. Generally that kind of look presages some really nasty seasons to come.

#269 Br4d, Sep 28, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Yankjetfan likes this.
  10. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

We don't know how much JD believes in James Morgan.

There's a chance that he already has his guy on the roster.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

Generally most HCs that fail for one team don't get hired immediately by another team as that team's HC. Generally, they sit for a year and then take on a coordinator's job if they're lucky, or a job as a position coach. I can't even remember the last time a failed/fired HC went directly to a new team as a HC.

So, this is NOT a situation that's normal or usual. Add to that that many fans and pundits thought hiring Gase was a bad decision, especially with the Jets having missed the playoffs for so long, there was already no patience in the fan base.

And most fans realize that Darnold was dealt a shitty hand, one that even really QBs would struggle with, so that's why he's gotten a lot of slack. Obviously, that slack isn't endless, and he needs to show something to retain any faith in him.

SOJAZ likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

From the little I was able to see of him, he reminded me of Mahomes...not as good, but with an exceptional arm and an instinct for making plays. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play if Darnold continues to struggle.

13. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Yup.

I believed JD when he said that he wanted to win this year. I bet his plan never included the possibility of being in position to draft Lawrence.

He probably figured that Morgan could serve as the insurance against being forced to extend Darnold.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

14. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Herm Edwards, Eric Mangini, Rex Ryan.

SOJAZ likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

Thanks for the memory jogger!

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I was never all in on Darnold; I treated his drafting with a shrug and a "prove it" attitude but guys here who are ready to blow him out already seem to be forgetting when he got here all agreed he was raw and needed a lot of work. He wasn't supposed to have to do it on his own!

If he is really the most important guy why hasn't he be given a QB coach? And Jeremy Bates doesn't count, his mind was blown when he went walkabout. Since then Gase hasn't even made believe; he said in his press conference after the game Sunday that he'd have to ask Darnold what went wrong = as if that shouldn't have happened after the first pick six! There needs to be a twelve game tutorial with a real technician - whoever the hell that is.

SOJAZ likes this.
  17. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

The only thing that has me thinking twice of letting him go, is Ryan Tannehill. Living here in Miami, Sam Darnold reminds me A LOT of Tannehill. The fan base has mixed feelings about him, but many believe Gase is leading to his demise. It was the same situation in Miami with Tannehill. I remember telling my brother in law that I really liked Tannehill and always felt like he could be very good. Sure enough, he leaves Gase, almost goes to the Super Bowl, and has had a 105+ rating since.

A large part of me wonders what Darnold will look like under a different head coach.

Although I still think we should take Lawrence if we have that pick.

SOJAZ, HomeoftheJets and NYJetsO12 like this.
  18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

100%

HomeoftheJets and MoWilkBeast like this.
  19. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I watched the Chiefs v Ravens game (or extended highlgihts anyway) and what was really interesting was seeing how often their receivers were wide open - both QBs did a good job of extending plays with their legs but even so their receivers just seemed to have great separation a lot of the time and there were lots of relatively easy throws for good yardage (plus some really great throws as well that I don't see Darnold ever making but hey ho) - makes you realise how bad our receivers/schemes are that they never seem to not have a DB within a stride of them

20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'm convinced that if we move on from Sam, he will thrive with his second team. Especially if he goes to the Saints, Steelers, Bucs, or dare I say it...the Pats.