Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I still think you can't accurately judge Darnold until Gase and Patten Oswalt are gone. Darnold didn't regress overnight, it was a process overseen by "the QB Whisperer" and his flunky. They don't have to extend him this year, unless by some miracle he suddenly blossoms under a new HC (Cooter or whomever) and they decide he IS the FQB (unlikely). So they can afford to see what happens and see what their draft position will be and if a potential FQB that's better than Sam will likely be available for them.

As bad as this team is, and as angry and frustrated as we all are, "let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater".

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The question is: if the Jets bring Trevor Lawrence in can they develop him with a bad roster next year? The Jets 2021 roster is going to be a few high draft picks better than this one and one of those picks would be Lawrence. I'd rather pay Darnold on the option and trade the #1 down for enough talent to bring the Jets roster up to close to NFL par.

I just see a complete start over as a disaster in the making at this point. If Lawrence doesn't make the cut the Jets will be bad into the mid-2020's.

I'd give JD absolute control of the next two years and let him do what he wants to do. If I was ownership I'd sit back, keep my mouth shut and pray the guy I hired to fix the lost decade is actually as good as the rest of the NFL seems to think. I'd give JD full control on the Adam Gase decision.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

What is the likelihood Sam will command a 3rd offense?

4. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Teddy had success in Minneapolis though. Sam has had a career of losing and being a bottom 5 QB. I don’t see Sam getting much interest on the open market outside of a backup QB gig. It’s a shame too because we all had such high hopes for him.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

That's the question with any quarterback though. Only Lawrence gives us a chance to rebuild the roster on his rookie contract for 4 years versus what Darnold brings to the table (whether his fault or not he clearly can't carry a team at this point) at $20 million per year.

I'd make the argument that this roster is so bad that I'd rather take my chances with the #1 overall pick and maybe even stick him on the bench for a year rather than watch Darnold continue to regress at $20 million per year as he continues to try to throw to Rudy out there every week with Rudy Jr. playing left guard.

6. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

If I’m Trevor Lawrence I’d tell the Jets don’t draft me I’m not playing for you! or I’ll stay in school...The Jets have done nothing to nurture a quarterback and I wouldn’t trust the Johnson brothers to pick the Next HC

7. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I felt like that before the game started.

Welcome.

8. Br4d

The QB's that have managed to prosper long-term after escaping a bad scheme they had played in for a few years are few and far between.

You have Drew Brees and Fran Tarkenton maybe. You could stretch it to Vinny Testaverde and maybe Rich Gannon also, although Gannon's issues were equally injury and system related in his early years.

I think the answer for Darnold is to get the opportunity to play with average to above-average NFL talent. He's played with bottom 20% talent for his entire NFL career and nobody looks good doing that.

Vida and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Ryan Tannehill.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

NO Gase is gone if JD doesn't pull that trigger in your scenario JD is gone too. Gase has done nothing as a head coach period the one reason he was brought in here was to make sam better and he did not do that. I do not want gase around this team the sooner he is gone the better

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Adam Gase is a terrible coach but I think it's pretty clear at this point that Sam is not the answer at QB. You cannot contend for a title with a QB that commits so many turnovers. It's a problem he's had since college. Better WR's won't fix that.

Our best move is to get Lawrence and build around him. Invest some of our early picks in oline and WR.

Vida and semperfigreen like this.
  12. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I had a discussion with another veteran Jet fan and we have come to conclusion that Ken O’Brien’s 3 year run was far better than Darnold’s. Ok The Jets has Toon, Shuler and Walker but they racked up points.

Sack exchange likes this.
  13. GreenWhiteandGold

GreenWhiteandGold Well-Known Member

Is he gone yet?

Savatage likes this.
  14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Will he survive a blowout loss against the Broncos?

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Alex Smith as well. But yes - it's extremely hard to do. Marcus Mariota will likely be a career backup the rest of his career IF that. There are countless other examples.

I think the only reason he'll survive this week is the short week...

Ralebird, JetBlue and Br4d like this.
  16. Br4d

If the Jets did this the logical progression would be to red-shirt Lawrence his first year - with this clearly in the offing when he was drafted. Start Darnold next season as the cheapest reasonable veteran option at about $4.7M for the season and see where that got us.

The closest comparison would probably be the Brees-Rivers situation in San Diego in 2004. The Chargers did not intend to have Rivers sit out and Brees play the year but Rivers held out in TC and lost the starting opportunity for the year when Brees looked very good to the Chargers in the pre-season. Brees held the job for two years, making the Rviers holdout very costly in terms of playing time for a guy the team clearly wanted to be the starter. Then Brees got hurt and the Chargers let him go and Rivers finally got his shot.

The Jets could do worse than play Darnold next year while Lawrence got his feet on the ground. In the best case Darnold could do what Brees did and start playing like a franchise QB and in the worst case he'd take the shots that might otherwise knock Lawrence off course.

The problem with the analogy of course is that the Chargers were a talented under-achieving team at the time Brees finally found his rhythm. The Jets are just a rock-bottom roster with very little immediate hope.

17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Broncos are traveling east, are playing with their backup QB, and are missing their top WR.

18. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

If that was the case, i would use the 5th year option on Sam to help organise a trade.

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I know they won’t but just move on right now. Is a win at home against a bad team missing half of the starter is really going to change your mind? What’s the point in waiting? This team has given up on him and he has absolutely no clue what he’s doing. There’s no point in keeping this relationship going any further than today.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. Br4d

Here's the problem for the Jets in a nutshell: anybody they hire right now, even if it's just a Gregg Williams promotion to HC, is likely to lose heavily this year.

Typically this is what happens when losing is not actually the fault of the HC but is caused by a bad roster. You can change the HC in mid-season but you can't change the roster.

So if the Jets fire Gase for a temporary HC all they are likely to do is drive away the real HC candidates they might want to court at the end of the season. Unless a miracle turnaround occurs the Jets are hurting their long-term position if they make a move on anybody right now.