Who Should be Coach in 2021?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Linebacker712, Sep 13, 2020.

1. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

A bit of an exaggeration? LOL That's the understatement of the year. Einstein and that dumbass Rex don't even belong in the same post, yet alone, paragraph. Rex didn't have that many blitzes, because by his 3rd year, everyone had them figured out, then he had nothing. His base D was simple when he came to the Jets. It evolved and got more complex, but never that complex imo.

That's the point I was making. Systems should be basically simple. After a few years, new wrinkles can be added, the system adjusted somewhat as different players come and go, and get a little more complex once the majority of the players know the system. Still, for the most part, I believe that systems should stay on the simpler end of the spectrum rather than the difficult end of the spectrum.

Let's face it. Football players in general aren't the sharpest pencils in the box, and often times the best athletes are the dullest pencils.

#242 NCJetsfan, Sep 25, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  3. bmfc1

bmfc1 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying he should be but I'm predicting that it's Dan Quinn. He'll get fired by ATL and the Jets will get excited because he went to a SB while ignoring why he got fired and the fact that he coughed up that SB to NE. Quinn seems like a very Jets-like move to me.

#243 bmfc1, Sep 27, 2020
    rickjet and jets_fan like this.
  4. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Sadly, I could see this happening. Also doesn't help that he was their preferred choice for the job before we hired Bowles.

5. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

go with a young coach someone with fire in their bellies from a winning program.

6. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Scary thought because i believe he was second choice to Bowles and a local guy, but thankfully, Casserly will not involved in this upcoming decision

7. NCJetsfan

There seems to be a very good list of potential candidates. Hopefully, the Jets will fire Gase, take advantage of it, and no one will rule themselves out.

Potential Candidates (listed in my order of preference)
    Lincoln Riley
    Arthur Smith
    Brian Daboll
    Eric Bieniemy
    Don Martindale
    Byron Leftwich
    Jay Gruden
    Greg Roman
    Jim Harbaugh
    Nathaniel Hackett

#247 NCJetsfan, Sep 27, 2020
  8. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

I doubt he comes here but Mike Leach would be a great option. He's done alot at the college level.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Dumb and Dumber will probably let Douglas pick the HC and he'll pick Greg Roman, and probably still suck.

10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

If dumb and dumber let Douglas pick, that would be the smartest decision they have ever made

11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Agreed. They should let the GM pick his own guy so we have clear cohesion for a change. Just not sure Greg Roman is cut out to be a HC

I have a feeling Douglas would want someone from his old places Baltimore or Philly.

12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Arthur Smith is the guy I want if we go the coordinator route. He didn't make his living off coaching a HOF QB who changed plays att he LOS.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

With a plethora of picks in the draft and a Very good possibility of getting the top pick in the draft. Does this make coaching the Jets a blank canvas for a coach and depending on the coach possibly a new front office?

My favourite candidates are Jim Harbaugh, Lincoln Riley in the collage ranks. Wink Martindale and Mike McDanials in the rookie assistant ranks. A long shot would be to trade for a guy like Mike Tomlin or John Harbaugh.

14. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

No coach with any serious options is coming here. Even Lane Kiffin, the guy who has never seen a job opportunity that didn't intrigue him, thinks we're a joke and wouldn't come here.

We'll have to hope that Douglas can get lucky and find a good assistant coach somewhere in the league that has what it takes to be a good HC.

15. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

If we do end up going with a Ravens guy, Kubiack was one of my favorite:
    [​IMG]

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

IDK if he's my favorite, but he would be MILES better than anyone we've had for years.

17. NCJetsfan

The ship has sailed on him. He had to quit coaching for a few years due to health issues. He was not that successful as a HC. At one time, I liked him a lot, but I think there are numerous candidates who are better than him at this point.

His W-L record with the Texans was 61-64. He runs a WC offense, which is not what we need with either Sam or Lawrence.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on Kubiak. I'd rather have Arthur Smith or Brian Daboll. Heck, I think I'd rather have Todd Monken than Kubiak.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Mike Zimmer would be worth a long hard look if he gets fired. He's a defensive coach at his routes, but he's involved with the offense and coaches the entire team.

He's 19 games over .500 for his career. The only issue for him is that he's not exactly young at 65 by the start of next season. But he's a good football coach.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  19. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Bring in Jim Harbaugh please.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  20. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Well if we're going to go in on Lawrence then why not make a play for Dabo Swinney to join him?