Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Sep 25, 2020.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If the Douglas's goal was to make the team better this year at all costs, without regard to future cap space, salary structure, and draft picks, then yes he should've signed Robby, and paid Adams whatever he wanted (just like they did with Mevis who he is a direct descendant of), and invested heavily in signing Clowney as the answer to the pass rush hole, (except he's not really a great pass rusher), which would've prevented him from drafting/signing someone better and younger.

All of these MIGHT have made this year's team a little better, but they still weren't going to the playoffs, and then they would have to deal with the costs and attitudes going forward. None of these moves would've changed the REAL issue: Gase. FIrst things first: FIre Gase, and then they can actually make progress.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

And again from the “oh that’s how you do it” department:

blackssmagic and barfolomew like this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Don't look at the Vikings game...

Sigh

Deontay Burnett just came on and caught his first pass for 10 yards

Sigh sigh sigh

4. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

here is the thing what you say might be correct but you need to give the fans and the team good players to tank for a yr is not the answer without trying to improve. Anything less is major disservice to the fan base and to the team. You lost Adams due to a bad coach you set back the qb due to a bad coach I think you sign Clowney to help the rest of the defense, he may not be a dominate pass rusher but is he better then anyone else we have on the line? does signing him speed up the development of Q? You build on what you have when you have very little you dont give players away for picks on a future gamble without helping the other younger players on the team.
    That is not the way you build a team. People are talking about a window.... the window opens every yr for every team it is up to the staff to get the right players and then the coaches to get those players into position. As bad as Gase is the GM and scouts have done very little with the resources they have to build a competitive.
    Signing clowney does not stop you from drafting or replacing him with someone better down the line. football team...Having Sam stops you from drafting a QB next yr? No if you think he is not the answer same applies to a pass rusher or any other position. Next yr if they spend a 1st round pick on a olineman does that make Becton a bad pick, there are two deefensive ends having a better then average Clowney is better then what we have and allows you to help q and the rest of the defense.

5. After a yr & a half on the job, if the plan was to start yet another rebuild from scratch & quite possibly put out one of the worst single season rosters ever assembled, dont you think the HC who has to coach this monstrosity would have to be on board w this strategy & in turn given some level of autonomy from ownership to undergo more short term peril?l in hopes for long term yield?

Are we so headstrong on the scapegoats of failure’s past that it clouds reasonable judgement & expectations for the new administration? Cause i didnt expect the playoffs & wasnt expecting to even match last season’s win total..but i was expecting for the team to give Sam some help & improve the talent base beyond the OL progressing to an average unit.This team has gotten worse.Much worse.Forget Gase.The talent level is embarassing.And remember JD has been here a YR & A HALF!

88toon likes this.
  6. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Agreed with the fire Gase take.

But you can’t let people you draft and develop leave the building. That’s backwards thinking. People keep saying that we need to build through the draft. We do that and draft an All Pro and weapon for Sam and we let them leave. So which is it? Those are two home grown talents we let leave. How is that building. Team?

rammagen and 94Abraham like this.
  7. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

There’s no “might” at all. Those players have been replaced with obvious downgrades. Of course this team would of been better. Would they of been a playoff team though? That’s a good question. If Mosely wasn’t a quitter and without the bad luck of injuries, this team with a healthy Robby, Mosely, Crowder, Adams, and Clowney could potentially be a team in the running for a wild card.

I agree with you on Gase though. Even with this much more talent, the coaching here is terrible so they would have to overcome his ineptness.

rammagen likes this.
  8. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

The thing is as a gm you need to balance the long term health of the team with the short term success, and in this case JD sold out on the short term. he did not get players to replace those that left or try to upgrade areas where he could have. That to me is crapping on the fans I understand you may not win or be in the playoffs but with those players we are a better team and competitive a winner maybe maybe not but you owe it to the fans to try the very best to field a competitive team.
    Gase is a huge part of the issue so you let a bad coach chase a probowl player out of the building that you dont replace for what you are not even getting short term success or long term success

9. The only thing ill say is Adams needed to go.Likely should have never been drafted to begin w. I get hes a homegrown talent & a high producing player but you cant have guys w his divisive attitude in a locker room trying to undergo a culture change.

Even if the Jets paid him the divisive attitude was only going to persist.W the contract he was seeking combined w the poor intangibles it just didnt make sense.You cant have a me first guy taking up a 1/6th of your cap when team is still rebuilding & he plays a non impact position.

That said i do agree that home grown players who are retained are massive piece of building a team for sustained success.

10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Feels weird to quote myself but perhaps I was wrong on this one..

blackssmagic likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You don't build around a SS who wants a record contract. Douglas probably should have kept Anderson.

Jets81 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  12. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Not sure if I agree. Nobody says "build around" a SS. But when you draft and develop All Pro players that change the energy on one side of the ball you don't trade those players. The Steelers could have easily said that with Troy P. The better argument is not drafting a SS at pick 6. I could maybe live with that sentiment. But once you do that and he turns into an All Pro player, it's a different argument.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand that sentiment, and agree with it for the most part, but when that player wants the kind of money he does, that can destroy a team's salary structure. Adams made it impossible for Douglas to keep him. Gase may have been the underlying reason or maybe Adams just wanted his money and didn't care about the team, but after Adams acted like an ass and insulted everyone, he had to go.

14. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

fair enough.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree up to the point of the player becoming "me first", and making himself a distraction. Didn't we learn this lesson with Mevis?

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  16. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

I never understood the whole Mevis take. He was the best at his position at the time and wanted to be paid as such at a premium position. We don't have a winning culture that creates an atmosphere of players wanting to play for less than they are worth. Revis was the best corner in the game and wanted to be paid as such. Adams is the best safety in football and wants to be paid as such. Not sure I can see anything wrong with that......

When fans realize that this is just a job for professional athletes like anyone else, maybe we see it differently. if I am the best at my job, I want to be paid the most. Jamal saw the team pay Moseley a boatload of money yet he was the most valuable player on the team making significantly less and was home grown. The history is this team is to NEVER pay our best players, then when they get mad we call them selfish.

Ralebird likes this.
  17. Adams was trying to manipulate a trade last year to Dallas before the deadline,LIED about it & then accused the Jets of trying to trade him & going against their word.Thats some anti-social narcocistic crap.That was before a new contract even came up for discussion.

We routinely see players take more professional ethical stances in their pursuit of a new contract w.o using social media & crooked team columnists to throw Teammates,coaches,team administrators & even the FANS under the bus like Jamal did. And again he already showed this juvenile divisive behavior last season.It was no surprise.He showed his true colors as someone that didnt merit a new contract w his behavior.This is a team game.You can be a diva & even be selfish.You cant be divisive & destructive.Jamal was.

18. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

I thought Perriman and Mims were upgrades?

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It takes a critical mass of talent for the pieces to work well unless they are individually excellent. The Jets maybe have one individually excellent player in Marcus Maye and I'm not sure he's not just over performing on pure adrenaline yet.

The Jets talent levels are so low at this point that they are depressing the individual performances of every player. It's hard to do your job well when you have a problem next to you and every player on the field is surrounded by problems.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Stop thinking it's "build around" and more of just building.
    Look at how many great safeties were part of Super Bowl teams. It's an important position and the goal is having as many great players on the team as possible.
    If a GM can't do that, he isn't a GM worth having.... and I like JD.