Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Sep 25, 2020.

1. SmoothLefty21

SmoothLefty21 Member

Maybe JD should have taken another WR in the third, it's easy to question that, but it wouldn't have made a difference this year. The three WR taken after Zuniga have a combined 6 rec for 81 yards in six games.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The Panthers disagrees with you and others who claim that Robby is one-dimensional and can't run all the routes. He has addressed that in the media and been very complimentary of Robbie.

3. NCJetsfan

It's way too early to claim that Douglas thinks that WRs don't matter, my friend.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I just meant not all of us, LT then WR WR was my choice or hope.

6. NCJetsfan

Nonsense! The only thing that makes sense is that our top 3 WRs got injured and that's bad luck.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  7. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

While, after only one draft and the most unusual of offseasons to go on so far, the jury is still out on Douglas, I like what we've seen from him so far. He's already gotten one of the most important pieces in the rebuild in this draft with Becton, who looks like he's the best player on the team right now as a rookie who is only two games in. We'll see what we have in Mims when he gets healthy, but he should be a weapon that Darnold can count on when he finally gets out there. I don't really think that we can hold the injuries against Douglas, especially in this season, where players are going down left and right thanks to having no offseason conditioning programs and no preseason to get themselves ready for this year. We're not the only ones dealing with the injuries, as we saw with the 49ers last week.

Will Douglas turn out to be the answer? It's too early to tell, but the signs so far are more encouraging than with any of his more recent predecessors. Given just how good Becton has looked so far, that already makes him the best-drafting Jets GM in a decade (a low bar to clear, yes, I know).

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

If they were here, that would most likely be different due to all of the injuries to WRs, if nothing else.

9. NCJetsfan

You do understand that there could be a difference between which routes he has run and whether he is capable of running all the routes? I'm not saying that you and others here were wrong. I'm just pointing out that the new OC with Carolina and the local media there disagree. I watched the Panthers' 1st game and that's it.

10. BroadwayAaron

Of course I get that but do you really think it’s a coincidence that now a second NFL team doesn’t have him running anything more than slants and deep routes?

11. NCJetsfan

The season is only 2 games old. IMO it's too early to ascertain whether Joe Brady is just blowing smoke or being honest. Game situations, the score, and a QB's arm strength can determine what routes are run, as well as the WRs ability to run routes.

Unless Anderson is just lazy or totally stupid, I think he has to know how to run all the routes and can run them. He may not run them well enough to get open or may struggle catching the ball on some of the routes, but I think he probably is capable of running all the routes. We know that Teddy doesn't have that strong of an arm, so I imagine there are some routes in the route tree that the Panthers may not be running at all, just as the Jets did when Chad was our starting QB the last year or so of his time here.

12. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

In terms of JD's draft strategy, I didn't have too much of a problem with it. For the first time in years, we have a first round pick who, right out of the gate, seems like he's all we hoped him to be. For the other picks, he traded down when there wasn't a good prospect there rather than reaching. He did the opposite of simply settling on the BPA. Time will tell if he's got a good eye for talent, but so far I think he's earned at least a second year with the Jets.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

Speaking of receivers we passed on:

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I hear you. Many here have answered that better than I could. Clowney was not in our long term plans. Way too many holes. With that many needs, if you don’t intend to sign him long term, a one year rental would do very little for us. It would marginally improve a team that is lucky to win three games. If Sam is not the answer, the priorities will be even more focused on draft, draft and draft and build the core first before you do the final touches with a high paid free agent. Titans are super bowl contenders and he might put them over the top now. Unfortunately we have ways to go.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. K'OB

Well, there are plenty of those in this draft class, you could be setting yourself a dangerous precedent if you are going to retweet plays made by them all.

16. BroadwayAaron

Just seemed relevant considering the conversation had been “what did you want Douglas to do?” over the last day. Davis was one of the guys plenty of people mentioned before the draft.

blackssmagic and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

There was alot of things he could have done...There were also plenty of veteran WRs in FA that could have helped Darnold progress.A veteran Tight End wouldnt have been a bad idea either.Someone who Darnold can atleast count on to catch the ball on third down.

rammagen likes this.
  18. K'OB

Indeed, I was just saying you could be in for a lot of retweeting is all lol

19. BroadwayAaron

To quote a great Turk, I’m apathetic. In fact I might even be self loathing. At least until Gase is gone.

20. K'OB

Aren't we all :(