Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Sep 25, 2020.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Well, by the mid-season mark or sooner neither will Gase. Singling out Robbie for the Jets awfulness is not fair. Our coaches and GM were awful too. He could have been part of the building blocks along with Becton. But now we'll never know.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

i’m definitely not blaming Anderson for us being abysmal offensively since 2016 I’m just saying he was not going to make or break this offense. He’s a mostly one dimensional player and that one dimension isn’t valued by our awful coach.

3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Yea, it’s a bit of a head scratcher isn’t it? As a manager a part of my day - the first part, in fact - is dedicated to reviewing the latest feedback for my team. For many, many years now it’s been incredibly easy to aggregate and categorize information from online resources, so there’s no excuse for him to be out of touch with the general consensus regarding the state of the team.

I can honestly say that I’m not sure the guy is competent enough to implement something so simple yet incredibly crucial to running a successful business.

#83 Jets81, Sep 27, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  4. All we heard leading up to this draft was how we could “get a wr later” bc it was a strong class;It’s very obvious most folks said this as an excuse to not take any WR early..specifically in round 1.

Plenty of mid round WRs develop into top of the depth chart talents.I hope I dont need to list them all bc the OL crowd certainly touted all fucking pre draft about how great WRs are found later. What changed? Now all of a sudden we couldnt find anybody to help after the 2nd round?

Meanwhile the likes of Vinnie Smith,berrrios & Josh Doctson are long term pieces standing in the way of building a respectable skill unit around Darnold?

I think its pretty clear most Jet fans AGREE w The Jets & now Douglas that WRs dont matter. Forgive me for strongly disagreeing & feeling outrage

blackssmagic and boozer32 like this.
  5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

That is depressing to hear.

6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Just proves what an idiot he is then, doesn't it.

Older dumb dumb as well.

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Ah come on, we wanted a LT and a WR, you even said yourself you wanted Becton.

Bit harsh on Berrios, I like him, given some 'good coaching' (sigh) I think he could be a long term asset.

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Which WR's did you want in rounds 3-7? I thought Tyler Johnson and Bryan Edwards would be nice additions. I felt that one of the round 3 picks could've been used on a WR.

blackssmagic likes this.
  9. Im seeing post after post rationalizing not having WRs & complacancy w the current unwatchable skill group.

So it’s one of 2 things

A. Wishful thinking & blind faith bssed on JD being in his honeymoon stage

B. Folks are really ok w having the worst offensive weapons skill groups yr after yr & all the “find one later” talk predraft was just a way to avoid taking one early

How bout both?

10. Edwards/Golden-Gandy/Davis/Johnson & there were others

My reasonable retrospective counter to those who ask “what would you have done differently?”

A.Re sign Robbie
    B.Still signed perriman but to a 2 yr deal
    C.Still draft Mims
    D. Draft Edwards/Davis in round 3

Still not a great group.But Thats 2 more young weapons to develop around Sam.Long term pieces.

Is that unreasonable? Unrealistic?

All JD did was draft one guy after trading down & signed a 1 yr band aid to replace RA & hes nowhere near as good

#90 KurtTheJetsFan, Sep 27, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2020
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. CotcheryFan

I like it. Too bad we can't change the past. I'll pose this question. If Douglas re signs Perriman, drafts Chase, and drafts Schwartz(Auburn WR), would you find the WR group acceptable?

12. Yes of course. But it will take the young WRs time to develop & for Sam to find chemistry w them.I mean better late than never but sheesh..it takes 4 yrs to finally put some talented youngsters around Sam? It might already be too late.In which case we take Trevor & miss out on Chase.

Other thing is I simply dont trust them to actually address the position in this manner. The team has repeatedly either ignored it or taken the wrong guy. JD might be different but than again he came from Baltimore where WR is low on the totem pole AND he already let this past offseason happen thus allowing the travesty we see now

13. CotcheryFan

Well, he took a WR in round 2, so he knew it had to addressed sooner rather than later. And the Ravens took Hollywood Brown in round 1, so they've changed that mindset.

And unless we get the top pick, we'll be in play for the Chase Sweepstakes. You know this team will win a few games to avoid completely bottoming out. If that means Sam shows enough progress to give him more weapons to work with, it might not be a bad thing.

14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

This hindsight judgement is BS. Our top 3 WRs got injured. That is bad luck - not bad drafting.

If anything we should have drafted more o linemen not more receivers. You don't build your offense around receivers.

15. Thanks for proving my point.At least you admit that you dont value WRs.Couldnt disagree more & feel this kind of thinking is outdated & holding the team back. But at least you own up to it.

94Abraham likes this.
  16. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Joe Douglas can and should take all the heat in the world for the disgrace of this teams Wr position situation. He was really cheap and figured Perriman could replace Robby and took a major chance with Perrimans injury history and now it’s killing any development Sam could be having right now since it’s hard to knock Sam too much with throwing to #4 and #5 receivers. If JD really wasn’t going to pay Robby, only drafting 1 WR was criminal in a passing league. A lot of people also aren’t huge fans of him trading away the only elite player on this team for essentially 2 late first rounders who could be complete unknowns but that’ll be judged later based on who he drafts.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That's a good point. But it raises this question: if it was that easy and obvious, why didn't Douglas, a guy with years and years of experience in great organizations, and having hands-on experience with player evaluations and acquisitions, decide to do this "slam dunk" approach?

The answers that I can think of are:

1. He's a terrible, and stupid GM, worse than Maccagnan and Idzik.
    2. He has a "bigger picture" and plan to go with it that is based upon building through the draft, from the trenches out.

If you think #1 is the answer I don't know what to say. If you think it's #2, but you disagree with that approach, okay, then offer your own approach, but keep in mind that the Jets have tried signing FAs and trading for vets and where has it gotten them? They're "competitive rebuilds" have not been competitive, nor have they ever completed a rebuild.

I can quibble about some things, but overall I think Douglas has a plan that's solid and is on the right track. The problems the Jets have pre-dated him, and the biggest problems are the owners and Gase, neither of which he has any say over. If you want to focus your frustration on someone or something, it's not Douglas.

KY Jets Fan and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Couldn’t agree more. What a ridiculous post. The Jets Wrs are the worst in the league so it shouldn’t be a shock they can’t score points and win games. You need receivers in today’s NFL.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Agreed. So tired of these posts saying “if we resigned Robby it still wouldn’t make a difference” or “having Jamal wouldn’t make a difference we would still suck”. It’s moronic logic. With that logic don’t ever draft or sign a good player because one player doesn’t win championships. Robby was someone Sam had a rapport with and we let him walk for peanuts. It was a complete miscalculation and I don’t care how anyone spins it. The goal is this year was to determine if Sam could make enough progress to be seen as the future. You don’t take away his #1 WR if that’s the goal. It was a huge mistake

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You just don't get it. Douglas is running the team as a professional, not a panic-stricken, desperate fan. He's trying to build a culture and way of doing things like the best teams do, and not just adding talent. He's not going to add someone that he doesn't think will fit in with his long-range plans, or who doesn't have the right character, work ethic, and the athletic traits/characteristics/talent he's looking for. He's not going to throw good money after bad, i.e., not going to waste money and cap space for a player for a one-year rental during a pandemic so the team can maybe win one or two more games. He's going to save that money and cap space until next year when he can add multiple players and improve the depth and overall talent of the team.

Look at it another way. Let's say that Sam is already ruined. If Douglas had signed Clowney, winning an extra game or two could prevent the team from being able to draft Lawrence or Fields. Even if Sam isn't ruined, signing Clowney could prevent us from getting a bonanza of picks from another team trading up to take Lawrence or Fields.

If the Jets were a playoff contender, it would be fair to fault Douglas for not signing Clowney, but they aren't and wouldn't be with him. Smart GMs don't waste precious assets in a year they know that their team isn't going anywhere. In addition, the Johnsons may have told him not to spend a lot this year, or could have told not to sign Clowney for just one season.

Further, Douglas learned under one of the all-time great GMs in Ozzie Newsome and also learned in Philadelphia and Chicago. He knows more about talent, scouting, building a roster, player evaluation, handling the cap, team salary structure, etc. than all of us put together. It's fine to have an opinion, I'm more opinionated than most, but I realize that there are times when my opinion doesn't means squat because all I have is opinion, and little or no facts. I also know what it's like to be a professional working for an organization, and have people who have no knowledge or understanding of what I do or how I do it criticize me or try to tell me how to do my job.

Finally, maybe just maybe Douglas knew that Gase is an awful HC but either doesn't have the power to fire him or maybe doesn't want to be the one pulling the trigger, maybe he wants to help Chris Johnson learn by going along with what he wants so he (CJ) can see how truly awful Gase is and will decide to fire Gase and allow Douglas full control going forward. It's easy as a fan to sit back and complain, criticize and judge when we don't have all the information, facts, or knowledge of the situation and motivations. IMO Douglas deserves our trust and our patience. It's understandable not to trust the Johnsons or Gase or have any patience with them. They have proven themselves to be untrustworthy and incompetent. Douglas hasn't. If anything, he has shown that he is different and someone that we can trust or at least take a wait and see approach.

#100 NCJetsfan, Sep 27, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020