Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Sep 25, 2020.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Maybe. But like I said we have no depth. We barely have any talent. There were talented receivers available in the third and fourth round where we had four picks. We didn’t take a WR with any of them. That was a mistake.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm not saying that Douglas couldn't have done better, but given the situation I think he's done okay. Don't forget, by the time he came on board Maccagnan had already spent big money on Bell and didn't sign any OL or skill positions beyond Bell, and then of course he really fucked up the draft. No real cap space to work with, and a HC who wasn't his choice (and spare me the "Gase and he are best buds" BS).

You may completely disagree with his plan to build this team back up (or up for the first time in 50 years), which is not the sexy way to do it, but is the most proven way to build a sustainable winning team, but it doesn't mean he's wrong. I'm as frustrated and out of patience with this franchise as anyone, and it pains me to have to wait a minute longer for them to turn the corner, but I'm so sick of them trying to do "competitive rebuilds" and quick fixes that I'm willing to give a guy who has worked for years in successful organizations, with hands on experience at evaluating and acquiring players, a bit more than a year and a half and one FA and draft to prove he is or isn't the right GM.

And I envy Buffalo, and SF, and NE, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh who have F.O.s that know what they're doing, but none of them do things exactly the same as each other. But one thing they have in common is they've built themselves for the long run, and I think that's what Douglas is trying to do. But working for the Clueless Brothers is a huge obstacle, and one he might not be able to overcome. I'll give him a little more time before I call for his dismissal.

K'OB, NCJetsfan and Sandman like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You keep drafting QBs until until you find your FQB. Even you've said you don't think Sam has proven he's the FQB, so yes, it was the right move to take Morgan who I believe is a "poor man's Mahomes". And as you can see, the OL is far from fixed, so taking an OL was also smart. I do agree he should've taken another WR, but even if he had, would that guy be making that much difference right now? Would he have been able to prevent two horrible losses, or even have made them close?

And what if you fired Douglas, who would you hire that's better?

He may not be the answer, but I'm not ready to say that yet. I WILL say that he's clearly miles better than Maccagnan, Idzik, Tannenbaum.

K'OB, LAJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

Have to agree with this. But he is going to be held accountable for Keeping Gase on. At the moment player wise, I totally agree. he has had one Draft and one Free Agency. I generally liked what he did and its early days on a lot of the players because most of them seem to be down. But we are stinking it up out there, bad. And that is on the Coaching staff and ultimately on Douglas. Maybe he feels this season is lost so we might as well play it out and go again next year with new coaching staff. Its hard to say. I will give him the benefit of the doubt until the start of next season I suppose. This season is already a write off.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

You had me until the part where you crapped on draft picks that have been here for only 2 games...

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

How is it ultimately on Douglas? Douglas and Gase are peers. Douglas may have absolutely no say in whether Gase goes or stays. Even if he does have a say, that doesn't mean that the Johnsons will listen and agree. Douglas can't help it that so many players are injured. The season is only two games old. This team was not going to the playoffs. They turned things around last year and went 6-2 down the stretch when no one thought that was possible. They may be waiting to see if he can turn things around this year. If the team continues to suck for another 3-4 weeks, then I think the Johnsons will have no choice but to fire Gase. If not, the fanbase and local media will go insane.

7. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

I was 9 when I chose the Jets so I feel your pain. It's been 41 years of "Well there is always next year"

8. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Maybe he should have traded back 10 times in round two to draft Mims who stays hurt

9. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

My concern is he has not filled other holes and left the team with no talent. I know you cant fill every hole in the team but when someone like Clowney becomes available and wants to play here and lobbied for it and we need any type of passrush we can get and he does not make a move for the player.....That is an issue.
    Does it make us a winner I dont think so but it fills a need for the team and makes the players around him better and leaves less issues to fill next yr

94Abraham likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No it isn't. Clowney has never been that good of a pass rusher. He's been great vs the run, but average or below average as a pass rusher. He takes plays off, which goes against the culture that Douglas is trying to instill in this team. He would have totally undermined himself paying a bunch of money for Clowney and have Clowney come in and take plays off. Clowney wanted waaaaay too much money for someone who isn't that good a pass rusher and who takes plays off. In addition, what was the point in shelling out a bunch of money for Clowney this year? The Jets weren't going to the playoffs with or without Clowney, and due to Covid, there was a chance the season wouldn't even happen. It would have been a waste of cap space that he now can use next year.

Your comments are ridiculous. Mac signed a bunch of older, big contract FAs. How exactly did that work out? The better teams don't do that. Douglas is coming from two of those teams and he's going to do things the right way, not the desperate, panic-stricken way that fans would have him take.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I’m not buying into all the BS JD could have done better with another WR or Clooney etc, etc, etc. You can nit pick that crap all day long to make a point. We look pathetic because of coaching period. If BB was our HC, we would have played Buffalo tougher than nails and probably figured out a way to beat SF. At the very least we would have been damned competitive and had shit all because we had one more rookie WR in the roster. We fucking started with zero talent and he has done more than anyone else in that position ever.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Fuck you JD.

13. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I agree. If you want to nitpick the Jets draft the Zuniga pick instead of a WR is the best spot to build a case that Douglas made a mistake. I think personally that the plan was sound, it just looks bad right now because Zuniga is out and not helping right now, and all our top skill guys are also injured which really focuses the spotlight on the shortage of WR/skill type players.

We just need to hang in there heal up and be patient. It'll get better.

14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Sacking Gase isn't in JD's power they have equal footing and answer/report to the powder puff brothers. Now he can surely say, look you pair of incompetent fuckwits it is time to shift my pal Gase as he is underperforming and we need to move onwards to some exciting new coach and you make him answerable to me this time and I get to pick the man, you have to agree, you haven't exactly been very good at it yourselves in the past, have you?

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Following a shitshow like the one Maccagnan put on was always going to be hard.

Can JD pull us out of the muck? Maybe if he gets another two seasons to put pieces in place.

Maccagnan probably did less with more than any GM in Jets history, Kotite included.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

I get it. Mcaganan and Idzik screwed us. JD inherited a clown show. All I am truly saying is I am sounding the warning sign, to be aware of a rookie class, that has not produced and we don’t know if they ever will for this team. That’s how teams stink when nobody contributes besides your first round pick, which should be a likely contributor anyways based on odds

wake me up when Mims, Zuniga, and Davis start playing.

17. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

The why not sign Clowney seriously if it costs money and cap space to try to answer the issue of not having an outside passrush and makes us better what is the harm. Instead he goes to the Titans and looks good for 12 million a yr. . The issues is not that we dont have talent the issue is there were resources he could have used to make the team better this yr for the fans. Look there were receivers we culd have signed that were cut that would help some not much maybe but they would have helped. The idea should be to help sam where we can the oline help ,getting receivers and getting defensive help in that order should eb the priority. When you have the resources you need to start building the team. tearing it down to ruin the fans base and the qb is not the answer. he has not really moved the needle with his moves.

He could have helped the defense with one signing. Shown the fans he was at least trying this yr and letting the fans suffer thru a nother bad yr. A rebuild that takes multiple yrs is fine a rebuild that leaves the fans watching bad football after 5 yrs of bad foot ball is bad business. op it off with a bad coach that is killing the team is even worse

18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

It seems pretty obvious from the outside looking in, doesn’t it?

The real test, in my opinion, is how he handles the Gase situation. Is Gase in on the tank or being setup to take the fall? What concerns me here is that being a bad coach =/= being stupid. He’s not unfamiliar with playing dirty pool.

Regardless of what anyone’s current opinion of Joe Douglas is, I think we can all agree that Adam Gase coaching the Jets in 2021 is not in the teams best interest.

19. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Shucks U R not even close I go back to 65 yes that is 1965 now that is pain in fact this year I cancelled my Direct TV subscription :mad:

20. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Well according to Chris Johnson it is in the NYJs interest to have Gase as HC :mad: