Lawrence better prospect than Darnold?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Jul 29, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks. I respect your opinion, especially regarding QBs. I've seen Clemson and Lawrence play numerous times, but have never really focused on him. I'll watch clips of games and of him and zero in just on him, and will do the same of Fields.

Big Cat likes this.
  2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Lawrence is a great player and fun to watch. He's dynamic and has charisma, hence the hype, but the kid the Bengals just drafted is a better NFL prospect IMO.

Big Cat likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I respectfully don't think so. But Burrows was a really good prospect. He's downgraded because of only one phenomenal year albeit against much better competition. Lawrence also has a much stronger arm outside the numbers and is built a bit more solidly.

As far as Darnold vs. Lawrence, Darnold had a lot of turnover concerns coming out of college and forced throws. He played schoolyard football well but it lead to errors.

Lawrence plays in a worse conference but they also tend to forget that the absolutely lit up Alabama and Notre Dame in 2018. He struggled against Ohio State to an extent last year as Higgins and Justyn Ross got bullied by Ohio State corners and knocked in and out of the game via injury. He also then put the team on his back and ran for a hundo and a score.

Lawrence comes with zero turnover concerns as he leaves college and will likely grade out as the closest grade we've seen to Luck. Although I'm not sure we'll ever see a prospect as good as Luck again.

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Sam has shown everything you want in a young QB. he's hampered by the worst o-line in the NFL the past 2 years, lack of skill posiiton players to throw too, and horrible OC's.
    Pat mahomes would like look ass in our offense. Sam isn't the issue

5. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

That's why you draft Lawrence and let him sit behind Sam to see if Sam can improve with better talent. If he doesn't, you have a new QB to take over. If he does, you have a bargaining chip for future high draft picks. But again, I'm skeptical, because a QB should carry the offense, not the other way around.

6. NCJetsfan

Maybe I'm just being hopeful, but I still believe that Sam can carry the offense. I think once he gets quality coaching, gets an offense tapered to what he does best, the training wheels are taken off and he's allowed to audible and create, realizes that he has a solid OL in front of him, and has quality weapons around him, he will be everything we hoped for an more.

7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

or you trade down get more picks and actually fill this team with talent. at this point mahomes wouldn't win here. we need to use our picks wisely and fill our roster with good players. drafting Lawrence is a mistake that would haunt this team for years

dawinner127 likes this.
  8. Linebacker712

We already have two first round picks, a second round pick and two thirds. We also have two firsts next year. We're good with draft picks for now. We also have a history of passing on top notch prospects and having that haunt us for years: Marino, Sapp, Polomalu, Mahomes...the list goes on. If he ends up having a Hall of Fame career elsewhere while Sam ends up being a bust even with talent around him, it will just add to the list of Same Old Jets moments.

9. NCJetsfan

I disagree with the statement that we're good with draft picks. With all the holes the Jets have, with all draft picks not panning out, and with as long as we've waited to have a competitive team again, one cannot say that we're "good with draft picks" or that we have enough. I don't disagree that we need topnotch prospects, but it is possible that if we're drafting #1 or #2, we could trade down 2-3 spots, still get an elite prospect at a position of need, and add more draft picks with which we could add more talent to the team and potentially fill more holes/upgrade more positions, and improve the depth.

The two things are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I don't think anyone would be able to stick around for this scenario. Fans are already feeling apathetic. If this happens, there will be as many Jets fans in the stands as there are right now.

11. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Sam will have a shot to show us what he's made of when Mims+Perriman+Crowder line-up in week 5. How long they all last? Not sure. But there are no more excused when the WR all play. Cardinals game will tell you a lot about him. Couldn't care less if it's Mims first game.

12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I expect Mims to start out primarily as a red zone target as he works on his route running. Perriman, Crowder, Griffin, and Herndon will have to step up.

13. NCJetsfan

Sorry, but you're flat out wrong. They'll still have Gase as HC, still have his awful offense that isn't the right offense for Sam or Herndon or Bell, and will still have Gase's awful play calling. Expecting Mims to put up big numbers in his first game isn't realistic. The problem is with your expectations and attitudes.

14. Cliv Clav

Cliv Clav Active Member

If we got the number 1 pick, and Trevor Lawrence is presumably who would go first, what would we get in trade value? 3 first rounders?

15. Linebacker712

Even if we could use more first round picks, Lawrence is looking more and more like a prospect that would be very foolish to pass on. Again, drafting him doesn't necessarily mean giving up on Sam completely; drafting Lawrence would hopefully light a fire under him and let him know that he's gotta put up or shut up. If he succeeds and solidifies his place by performing well for a few years, we're left with a prospect of getting even more high draft picks when we then shop Lawrence around. If he fails, we have a top QB waiting to take his place.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. dawinner127

2 1s and a 2 is the starting price. Maybe 3 1s but doubt it

17. Cliv Clav

Cliv Clav Active Member

I guess the choice to improve the team would be:

Option 1
    Sam Darnold + 2 extra first rounders + 1 extra second rounder

or

Option 2
    Trevor Lawrence + whatever we can get for Sam

Obviously, if we are picking first, we will have a new head coach too. Which option would people prefer?

Personally, option 1 looks more appealing as we have to rebuild the entire core of the franchise, not just one position. Trading the first pick would give us a total of possibly 6 first rounders in the next 2 years (plus some other high picks). As long as Darnold wants to stay of course, and hasn’t had enough of this organization.

18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If we do end up with the 1st overall pick then it likely means Darnold has not progressed at all and it very well may mean Darnold has been Carr’d.

In that case option 2 is a no brainer. Either way Lawrence is probably a no brainer. You just don’t pass on generational QB prospects which Lawrence very well may be.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

I could be mistaken, but if Lawrence is truly a generational QB, it seems to me that he should generate more picks than that. I think the price you quoted would have been for Burrow this year or perhaps for one's choice of Darnold, Mayfair and Rosen 2 years ago. For a generational QB, imo the starting price should be 3- #1s and a #2, and the lower the picks are in each round the greater the price.

20. dawinner127

I don’t think we will ever see what Washington gave up to get RG3 again.