Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Sep 25, 2020.

1. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

First off, I think Gase really has something with running his players into the ground. It happened in Miami and they were all injured and it's clearly happened here.Anyways, Gase will be gone, we know that. But I think Joe Douglas needs to be analyzed a bit. I know it's year one but lets think about this.. Besides Becton, which we had no other choice after last year, not a lot to feel good about. It appears he's drafted a few guys who have been dinged up from the start. Only time well tell but that is not an ideal start for all of his draft picks this year (minus Becton):

1. Denzel Mims..hurt. He will have a chance in Week 5 to show us what he's made of
    2. Zuniga: We draft an edge and he is hurt. Will he even play this year?
    3. Cam Clark: Potential for a future RG but does anyone know how bad his shoulder injury is? Will he even play this year?
    4. Perine, was hurt and let's see what he looks like now.
    5. Ashtyn Davis: Awfully quiet thus far.

Plus, not re-signing Robby was an awful move since now we have legit no idea if Darnold is any good and may have to choose between that and drafting TL. Douglas will need to draft well in the later rounds because we have a lot of questions. We will continue to stink if we can't ever develop anybody outside of the 1st round.

rammagen, boozer32, mrmajix and 2 others like this.
  2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Honeymoon is over as far as I’m concerned.

This roster is not any more talented than last years roster.
    Outside of OL, it’s actually less talented.

But where I’m really upset is how he has set up Darnold for failure, our most important asset with a ton of draft capital spent on him.
    Supporting Gase as coach while bringing in no offensive talent was criminal.

rammagen, mrmajix, Boomboom and 5 others like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The players Douglas drafted were all healthy when he drafted them. It's beyond his control if they get injured in TC. Zuniga dealt with a lot of injuries in college, so questioning drafting him is reasonable. Sometimes players who deal with injuries in college, get healthy when they come to the NFL and never have any more issues with serious injuries. Zuniga supposedly has a lot of talent and we needed help at Edge, so I can understand the pick. Still, you don't evaluate a GM on his draft picks 5 months after the draft and only 2 weeks into the NFL season. Most likely, we won't know until the 3rd season whether these picks were really good picks.

Douglas did have other choices than Becton. He could have taken Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs or Wirfs. He could have taken yet another DT in Javon Kinlaw. He could have traded down and taken a lesser player. He not only made the right choice because it was a huge need, but because Becton has HOF potential, and as further justification, Becton is playing at a very high level, and so far is the top-rated rookie in his draft class. Braden Mann was taken in the 6th round, and he has HOF potential as well if he can stay healthy.

Douglas handled the draft well, trading down garnering additional picks, didn't panic, addressed a lot of needs. He handled FA well not overpaying for big-name older players. He seems to have a plan and vision for building the roster.

Not re-signing Robbie could prove to be a mistake, but he didn't play all that well for the Jets. His effort was lacking at times, he dropped passes, failed to get open, etc. He's playing at the highest level he's played in the NFL over his first two weeks. We'll see if that continues. It doesn't hurt that he's playing with his college HC, and had chemistry with Teddy from their time here together and they were quarantined in the same city and worked out a lot together before TC began.

#3 NCJetsfan, Sep 25, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Unfortunately, he will bust after this year or more truthfully his right leg will be bust with overuse.

5. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I really like what Douglas has done so far. My only complaints:

1. Ryan Khalil ( complete waste of $, but at least Joe's heart was in the right place so can't ding him too much)

2. Not re-signing Robby ( after seeing $ he got from Carolina, why not bring back the only WR Sam's had any sort of chemistry with. Maybe Joe didn't like his off the field stuff. Whatever, it's looking like a bad decision by Joe every week)

3. Drafting back up QB in 4th this year. ( I can't even remember his name.....Morgan or is it Morton? Another WR sounds a little better right now)

Jets81, KY Jets Fan, Boomboom and 2 others like this.
  6. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

With minimal training camp and no preseason, I do not think this is going to be a good season to pass judgement on rookies, not that one season is ever enough to.

7. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Completely Agree...I dont like what Douglas has done so far.I dont care about the picks from the Adams trade..If atleast one of them doesnt become a talent equal or greater then Adams then what was the point of it?

rammagen likes this.
  8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Damn dude it’s been two games, why the need for instant judgement? Douglas is going to be here and given the chance to rebuild this roster, let it play out.

He’s done mostly good so far but obviously has a ton of work to do so we’ll have to wait and see how he does.

Making a judgement right now on Douglas is beyond ridiculous.

Brook!, tomdeb, blackssmagic and 5 others like this.
  9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

How can we judge our picks when most of them are injured?

Robbie Anderson got most of his catches on Sunday in garbage time and still managed to lose a fumble. Seems like the same old Robbie we knew for 4 seasons to me.

10. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I agree he has had a few questionable moves but considering all the moves he has made you can't expect him to be perfect. Let's not forget the extra picks he got on Draft day & the haul he got from Adams trade. All in all I like what he's doing. You can't expect him to turn the team around in one year after how depleted this roster was when he inherited it. In JD I trust.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He just put up back to back 100 yard games, I would love that same old ROBBY back here and no doubt Sam would as well, Gase couldn't give a fuck as he hasn't got a play call in his book past 10 yards.
    Unless it is 3rd and long and he has this special draw move for the RB to use. Offensive genius.

#11 K'OB, Sep 25, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    rammagen likes this.
  12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I wonder just how much he supports Gase. If it's to the extent he has stated in public, we're in big trouble.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

No clue where you are going with this. His draft has been spot on for a team with such a complete shit for personnel.. The fact that the only concern about him is that the players are ding up is laughable. Probably we need to look at the way we coach, train and practice under Gase instead.

ouchy and NYJetsO12 like this.
  14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I always judge a gm 2 games into his first full season, it’s the only rational way to do it.

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Right now let's not throw the baby out with the bath water

Waiting to see how JD really feels about Gase ..

And that time may be soon upon us

Brook! and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Increasingly, this is the American way!

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'm not going to mince words here. Douglas has not only allowed Gase to destroy any hope Darnold has of being a franchise QB, but he's actively endorsed Gase on multiple occasions. So either Douglas is a liar and secretly wants Gase gone (and apparently Darnold as well), or Douglas is trash.

rammagen likes this.
  18. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Judging a draft class while not even see how they perform is inane at this point. Yes, we could have potential D. Milners, but lets not get ahead of ourselves til the season is said and done. Except for drafting the QB, I like what JD has done so far.

#18 BomberJet, Sep 25, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

He's thinking future man. He's stripped the team down to the beams. He has his eyes on 2022? 2023?

The real blame goes to ownership for firing MacCagnan when they did and hiring a GM with such a extreme vision for the team which has basically rendered the past half decade of NY Jets top ten draft picks null & void.

What other team drafts in the top 10 in like four or five straight years then all of a sudden goes into full blown rebuild mode? It's dysfunction.

They hired him to do the job, he's doing it it's his vision his right to build the team the way he sees fit. In the long run he may be proven correct. I can't say now.

The danger becomes if he doesn't survive this season or 2021 or 2022 or if the Johnsons all of a sudden change their minds again. It's a vicious cycle of dysfunction.

rammagen likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

So far I think Douglas has done well - not perfect, but well. There is one thing that will make me change my mind however: if he continues to support Gase.

Brook!, NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.