Lawrence better prospect than Darnold?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Jul 29, 2020.

1. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Darnold was talked about since his junior year as the best QB prospect for his draft. Our protection and WRs would turn even Peyton Manning/Brady into Mitch Trubisky.

We need to truly build around the kid to have a chance to even properly evaluate him.

If we draft Trevor Lawrence, we would have the exact same problems that we have with Darnold

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

We haven't done anything to properly evaluate 14. Take the pick - dish it and then you have 6 or 7 1's in 3 years. If he sucks ass next year with a new coach and an improved roster, you are back in the same position to draft your next QB. This time with a better roster.

stinkyB and wewantsapp like this.
  3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

There's a scenario which might appear unlikely, but is a possibility. Let's say we get the top pick and Sam has a 3,600 yards, 26 TD's, 12 INT season. Would you take Lawrence or trade the selection for a king's ransom? The Jags could possibly trade with us and give us two more 1's in 2021.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  4. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Ideally, Sam plays well enough to show promise. You extend him this year to a long-term deal at a VERY favorable price to the jets. And we trade the pick for a kings ransom.

Otherwise you draft Lawrence.

5. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Yes

6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

no. i mean technically yes but it's a bad idea all around. mahomes and watson were worse prospects then sam. college prospect rating doesn't mean jack. Nothing wrong with sam we need to build around him. we should trade out for a bunch of picks. we need to fill holes. and having 3 1st rounders in the 2022 draft could be huge as well as 2 1sts in the 2021 and maybe 2nds plus 2 3rds

7. DefenseWinsChampionships

Clemson was up 49-0 @ halftime. They sat Trevor 2nd half and Clemson's offense became crap and game ended 49-0. He's the truth.

Yes. He's better than Darnold coming out and plays in the ACC a much better conference. As an FSU fan he's scary.

8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I think Lawrence is a better prospect than Sam was coming out. If the Jets get the 1st pick, you take Lawrence. We have enough assets, in the form of cap space and draft picks this year and next, to truly build a functional offense.

Fair or unfair to Sam, he hasn't shown enough consistently for us to pass on Lawrence. Hopefully, he balls out the rest of the year and makes this potential decision for us because I would love to see what he could do with a guy like Ja'Marr Chase.

However, if we're 1.1, you take Lawrence. Anything else, we continue to try and build around Sam and hope he takes the next step with an, hopefully, improved offense next season.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

How is that going to happen? How are we going to get the top pick in 2021 if Sam miraculously goes on to have those stats this season? Those two things are impossible, not just unlikely. If it could somehow happen, then I'd trade the pick because Sam would have proven that he's a FQB and we'd be better off with Sam and all those picks than with Lawrence and starting over.

I will be shocked if the Jags are drafting anywhere near the top 5. They are playing extremely well as is Gardner Minshew. Even if they were to wind up that high, unless Minshew falls apart, I don't think they would take Lawrence. They would trade down and use the picks to build around Minshew.

#29 NCJetsfan, Sep 23, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    CotcheryFan likes this.
  10. CotcheryFan

I was trying to find a scenario where Sam plays well enough to show he's the answer, but the team doesn't win because of sloppy play outside of QB and the opposition imposing their will every week. You're right, it's probably impossible. But fun to think about considering how the season has gone so far.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Lawrence looks like a can't miss prospect; passing on him would be the dumbest draft day mistake since passing on Warren Sapp.

That said, if the Jets get him, I say keep Darnold and have him start, knowing that the fire under his ass is burning hot. If he fails, Lawrence is waiting. If he succeeds, we have a QB controversy and are sitting on a goldmine of draft picks for either Darnold or Lawrence in a few years.

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

or we could trade down and get extra picks. Sam is too good to give up on. we need talent around him.
    colts, vikings, lions, falcons, panthers, and bucs could all be looking for a young QB and all should be picking top 10. sliding back for more picks would be the best move

13. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Sam hasn't shown anything except flashes of competence so far. A good QB should be able to get at least something out of mediocre receivers. If he gets nothing out of what he has, he'll only get very little out of a talented receiving corps. A QB makes the receivers good, not the other way around. He needs to do better even with what he has, no excuses. Good QBs have done more with less than what Sam has.

Drafting Lawrence isn't giving up on Sam; it's letting him know that his time is running short and they need to see something from him soon or they will give up on him.

14. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

They were playing Mary's School of the Blind.

I think he's good, but calm down with this talk against Citadel LOL

And they didn't just pull Lawrence. They pulled a lot of their starters with him

stinkyB likes this.
  15. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I’m sure I’ll post more in depth about this when/if the time comes but I’ve watched a good bit of Trevor Lawrence lately and I really don’t like him.

I love Fields though.

16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

LOL... I was going to post "They were playing Citadel!"

Raines High School in Jacksonville wouldve been a much closer game.....

Falco21 likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why? What's there not to like?

18. Big Cat

Clunky feet, slow to respond to pressure, holds the ball for too long, frequently misses underneath defenders, inconsistent accuracy, poor pocket presence/movement

He’s more of a thrower than a quarterback. And he wreaps the benefits of elite protection and playmakers. I know Fields also has the benefit of those things, but it feels like more of his success is self-made as opposed to Lawrence’s. Field’s pocket manipulation reminds me of Wilson.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. CotcheryFan

Interesting observations. Here are some videos that are critical of him.

I tend to agree with this guy. Lawrence is very talented, but needs to clean a few things up if he is to live up to the hype surrounding him. I sure as hell don't trust Gase to be the one who develops him.

20. Big Cat

Oh God. I hadn’t even thought about the possibility of dumping Darnold and keeping Gase. I don’t think I could stick around for that.