Who Should be Coach in 2021?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Linebacker712, Sep 13, 2020.

1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

People CAN learn from there errors & I think that Rex is one of those people:mad:

2. championjets69

There are times when people learn from there mistakes so just maybe 1 of the NYJ ex HC like Rex may have done that :mad:

barfolomew likes this.
  3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I don't believe the next HC has to have HC experience. Here's why. There are different types of HC's with experience. First, there are those who have done well, but have been out of the league for a while and the game has likely passed them by. They probably have no interesting being a HC anyway. As accomplished as he is, no team is looking to have Parcells be their HC.

Next, you have HC's who were mediocre to bad and are either out of a job in the NFL or are assistants in some capacity(DC, OC, etc...). This is what should've happened to Gase after Miami fired him, but we did the unthinkable and made him our HC.

Then, there are HC's who were mostly successful with their previous team, but the end of their tenure wasn't pretty. They clearly needed a change of scenery. I'd put Reid, McCarthy, and Harbaugh into this category. This is the group from which I'd have the fewest reservations about hiring.

Finally, there are the hot names in the college ranks that teams would love to lure in. The track record here is mixed. Saban didn't last long in the NFL, Harbaugh brought the 49ers to three straight NFC Championship games and a Super Bowl before he had a falling out, and Kingsbury is molding Murray into a rising star. But the top candidates make good money in jobs that are less stressful. Are Riley and Shaw even interested in becoming NFL HC's? I'd take either in a heartbeat. This is my second most preferred set of HC's to pick from.

If we can't get someone from the third or fourth class of experienced HC's, we'll have to look at assistants who can motivate players, put them in a position to succeed, and hire the best staff possible. While many here are apprehensive about hiring another first time HC because it hasn't worked for the Jets, other teams have been able to make it work.

4. DefenseWinsChampionships

Someone get Bill Cowher out of retirement. He would re-energize this locker room (as Gruden has done in Vegas) and completely re-build and coach up SAM DARNOLD and/or Trevor Lawrence. These kids today would love to play for a coach like Bill.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. championjets69

I under stand what u r saying & I would agree with U. MCG totally put the team in the lowest possible crapper sorry to say. Douglas I C also seems not so very smart when he did not dump Sam & hire the guy Belly took on. This has been the on going struggle since the glow of SB3 faded & it seems that to this day to be the reason the team is garbage no forward thinking whatsoever :mad:

barfolomew likes this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

All you have to do is listen to the comments Rex makes to the media about current football players to know he finished learning things when he was 40. Besides, he burned his bridges with the Jets after leaving. This is a guy who for years couldn't realize how badly our QB was playing because Sanchez was in some weird love triangle with his wife. Or maybe just her feet? Who knows for sure?

7. championjets69

For sure he would be a upgrade to Gase:mad:

egbert souse, Ralebird and barfolomew like this.
  8. championjets69

ouchy when u have idiots like the Johnsons as U owner who go out and anoter idiot like gase or toddy u know u are heading head 1st into the crapper> Hopefully someday U will grasp what I am saying :mad:

barfolomew likes this.
  9. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Firing him now would prevent him from further ruining our rookies and further destroying the development of Darnold. We have already bottomed out. We've been scraping along the bottom years. The sooner we purge our team of an incompetent loser who does nothing but bring the team and all of its players down, the better.

No QB coach and no OC is better than an awful coach that is instilling bad habits and a losing mentality into our young players.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Excellent post. While I greatly prefer the new HC to be from the the 3rd class, if we could get someone like Riley or Shaw I might be even more excited. My 3rd choice would be the "hot" young OC/DC who will be a complete HC. I don't want anyone from the first two classes at all.

REVISion likes this.
  11. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

12. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Mike Francesa

egbert souse and barfolomew like this.
  13. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I want Eric B. from Kansas City. Andy Reid is going to go down as one of the great head coaches in NFL history. He has been so good for so long and has ALWAYS adapted his offenses. I’d love someone who has learned under him.

phubbadaman and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I assume you meant Gase and im concerned as well.

Johnsons won't want to eat the years in salary and hire another HC.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  15. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Regardless of my feelings about Rex, he clearly was on to something.

His main mission I thought and liked was to create an identity. Play like a Jet.

what did that mean? Ground and pound. Punish the other team. Win through attrition!!! Make them cry!

As a marketing guy, I thought it was brilliant!!!!!

Sadly, Tannenbaum just kept stripping talent, making poor picks and the constant losing was the death of it.

but man. I respect Rex for at least having A vision and a direction and identity for his team. Brilliant.

Whether this was his idea or stolen from the Ravens and others, doesn’t matter. He knew, first step, decide what your identity is and fucking BE IT!

probs

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  16. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Thanks, I did mean Gase.
    I believe It would be only one year of salary, think Gase got 3 years and Douglas 6 years, hopefully CJ doesn't double down on his belief that Gase is a Genius.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Don Martindale is looking more and more like he's going to be the hottest candidate.

I like Byron Leftwich too as @BrowningNagle mentioned before.

18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

bring back Rex.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  19. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Wild card...bring back Bellicheck....

HomeoftheJets and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

RIP Gale Sayers! For those of you who never got to see him play, go to the NFL forum and the thread RIP Gale Sayers.. There's a link there to an article that has a video portion that shows clips of Sayers. Or look him up on YouTube. In his day running the ball was the name of the game and he averaged 5.0 ypc. He was grace personified. His vision, instincts, elusiveness were nothing short of amazing, and he was faster than most anyone else in the game including CBs and WRs.