Who Should be Coach in 2021?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Linebacker712, Sep 13, 2020.

1. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We need someone who will excite the fan base while also shoot much needed energy into the team.Someone with passion and energy.

2. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

The game is changing, it's morphing into a version of the college game. Out with the old guard, in with the new. I want Lincoln Riley.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Harbaugh turned a bad 49ers team into a multi-year Super Bowl contender and came one play away from winning a Super Bowl. Douglas had a decent resume for an assistant GM, and his most notable moves as GM have been pissing off Adams and Osemele and sticking up for Gase. The odds that Harbaugh turns out to be legendary are way way way higher than the odds that Douglas does.

Unhappyjetsfan likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, but you are not correct. Ever hear of Weeb Ewbank? He coached us to our only SB victory in 1969. He was HC of the Colts before coming to the Jets.

#144 NCJetsfan, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  5. NCJetsfan

Keep hiring? You must have just become a Jets fan. The Jets have only had 4 HCs in their history (not counting the Titans) who had previous Head Coaching experience in the NFL: Weeb Ewbank, Richie Kotite, Bill Parcells, and Adam Gase. That's 4 out of 19, and two of them were the greatest HCs in Jets' history! Lou Holtz had experience as a HC at the collegiate level, but he didn't even last a whole season with the Jets. He was a great collegiate HC, but one of the worst HCs we've had. I'm not sure about Slinging Sammy Baugh or Bulldog Turner, but pretty sure they hadn't been a HC in the NFL before.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

And he's been mediocre at Michigan. He knows nothing about scouting. This is wrong on so many levels. We finally get a qualified GM, and posters are ready to run him off to hire an asshole who would want complete control, and we'd probably be worse off. Jets fans are nuts!

7. HomeoftheJets

Some people are better at the NFL than college, and Harbaugh appears to be one of them. He's also been better than mediocre at Michigan (47-18 record, which is far better than his two predecessors). Lastly, if we're being honest, while I know it's still really early, Douglas has been kinda shitty in his time here. He's collected a lot of picks, though any idiot can do that, and he's drafted Becton who looks good. But he's also pissed off two players in Adams and Osemele who are succeeding elsewhere, and he keeps defending Gase, which means he's either lying or clueless.

Edit: Corrected Harbaugh's win-loss record at Michigan.

#147 HomeoftheJets, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  8. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Actually he's 47-18 at Michigan, he's only been there five seasons. He was also the head coach at Stanford and the University of San Diego which is where the rest of the collegiate wins/losses come from.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

Right, thanks for the correction. 47-18 is actually a higher win percentage than 105-45, so it doesn't change my point.

10. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Oops, forgot to count Weeb. Okay, so we're 2-2 so far on former head coaches.

11. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

12. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Second wave will cause a shutdown of the league and we'll end up staying with Gase as this little run doesn't count and we'll be all about continuity and so on.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If Harbaugh says he'll coach this football team it's a no brainer. You give him a blank check and the Johnson's better both give him a big hug after he writes his number on it. There are some murmurs that both he and Michigan are looking for some sort of split.

He can't get over the hump and beat Ohio State and the fans and boosters are losing their minds over it. It's sort of stupid though because there's just a recruiting gap there that he can't close with OSU. It's not completely his fault he can't get an NFL quarterback to commit.

dawinner127 likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

You are probably correct that some are better at the NFL than at college, as the reverse is definitely true (Saban, Holtz). While that record is not mediocre to most, ask UM alumni if they're happy with that record. It may be far better than his two predecessors, but I'll bet it doesn't meet UM alumni expectations.

I disagree that Douglas has been kinda shitty during his time here. Sorry, but I think that's an absurd take. Not just any idiot can collect a lot of picks. Did Bradway, Tanny, Idzik or Mac do that (and they certainly qualify as idiots!)?

No GM is perfect, let alone a rookie one. Even though he has a great background and worked for two of the best GMs in the business, being the man is different. He has a lot more pressure on him, especially with the mess that Mac left and the anger and frustration of Jets fans. Has Douglas made any mistakes since he took over? Yes, imo. Kalil was a mistake, but it was an honest mistake born out of desperation because he knew that Harrison wasn't good enough and that's what Mac left him with. Van Roten may wind up being a mistake. He's certainly had a rough start, but still is probably better than Winters.

Neither Adams, nor Osemele were mistakes. Adams pissed himself off with his selfish, me-first, whiny ass temperament and needing to constantly have his ego stroked. Fuck Adams. I'm glad he's gone. I'll bet if the truth is known he didn't want to play for Gase, and maybe even Williams, because Williams didn't treat him as anything special, and benched him a time or two. Osemele is a POS. He accepted the FA money to come here knowing that he was injured and probably needed surgery. He was trying to screw the Jets and Douglas called him on it. That's hardly a bad thing.

Becton looks GREAT, not just good. Not many rookie LTs have played the way he has in his first two games, especially against two of the best Ds in the NFL. Douglas handled FA and the draft extremely well. I would have done some things differently, but that doesn't make him wrong and me right. I believe that he has a plan, and I'm going to trust him at least until next offseason. If he doesn't thoroughly upgrade our offensive skill position players between the draft and FA, I'll be ready for his head. At a minimum, this team needs at least two more quality WRs, a starting TE who can catch, and a starting RB. We also need an Edge, a #1 CB, an ILB, and probably a new RG unless Clark takes over that spot. I'm willing to let the D slide one more year if that's what it takes to make our offense truly competitive and give Sam any kind of chance of succeeding.

He is doing something no other Jets' GM has done in recent memory, i.e., he is taking the long-term view, which is exactly what he should be doing. He's not allowing himself to be pressured by impatient Jets fans. This roster was full of holes and practically devoid of talent and speed save for Darnold, Adams and a couple of others. I believe that he potentially addressed more holes this offseason than most GMs could have done. Many would have gone for 1 or 2 big contract, big-name FAs, and we know that the better teams don't do that. Some probably would have burned draft picks trading up, or wouldn't have taken Becton, who I think will develop into a HOF LT.

I will be vehemently against any HC candidate that wants complete control. I don't think it will happen with Douglas having a 6-year contract, nor should it. Douglas isn't going to allow himself to get shoved to the side. If the Johnsons are that stupid and do that to Douglas, the Jets will never be able to hire another quality candidate for any job with the football operation. If that happens, barring the Johnsons selling the team, I hope the franchise folds and puts us all out of our misery.

#154 NCJetsfan, Sep 22, 2020
  15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Harbough seems like a guy who would get along great with Douglas as well. Those 49ers teams were built from the inside out and were nasty MF'ers in the trenches. I would be all for this, but I doubt it would happen.

16. NCJetsfan

Utter nonsense imo. You're right, however that it would be a "no brainer," because no brains would have been used in making that move if it involves complete control and shoving Douglas aside. If he's willing to come here and work with Douglas, that would be another matter, but I seriously doubt that Harbaugh would be either willing or capable of doing that.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Not sure why your allegiance is to Joe Douglas over someone like Harbaugh.

Harbaugh has built four different programs into double digit winners. Three of them took a year or less to achieve it.

The 49ers went from a 6-10 mess including an in-season firingans 8 straight years of .500 or under play to bring them to 13-3 and a dropped punt away from the SB.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

I'm curious what makes you think that Harbaugh "seems like a guy who would get along great with Douglas as well." He couldn't get along with people in SF. He's a bit of a hothead and has an ego. As a number of people have stated, he most likely would demand complete control to take the Jets HC job. I just don't see how that would work. Douglas has a 6-year contract and he's not going to settle for answering to Harbaugh. I don't think Harbaugh would settle for not having complete control.

#158 NCJetsfan, Sep 22, 2020
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

He probably couldn't get along with Baalke because he rammed that team into the ground as soon as Harbaugh left.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/executives/BaalTr0.htm

It's taken Baalke 4 years to get another job. He's now the Director of Player Personnel for a Jaguars team that just released Leonard Fournette and traded Ngakoue...

20. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I've only seen one person claim that they would take JH over JD if that was what it came down to.

I get the feeling that Douglas is the guy who wants to build the team from the inside our and be dominate in the trenches. Look at those 49ers teams that JH had, they were bad ass MF'ers in the trenches on both sides. They controlled the game and played whatever tempo they wanted to at any given time.

NCJetsfan likes this.