Is Sam already ruined?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jerryjeudy, Sep 17, 2020.

1. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

If we get pick 1 we should trade it for a boatload and stick with Darnold.

twown likes this.
  2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Jaw is looking much better these days. Sam passed him on Jets all time passing yardage list.

I’ll always remember Geno because the first Jets game I took my wife to was his 3 int game against Buffalo in 2013. We still had hope at that point in the season. I think he threw all 3 picks in the first half. I’ve never seen the home crowd so deflated. Pretty sure that’s when she started to dislike the Jets because she saw how miserable (and that day, angry) they made me.

[​IMG]

3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I just wouldn't be able to pass on Lawrence. As good as I think Sam can still become, I think Lawrence is a generational talent. I'm by no means a professional scout though so I very well could be wrong.

I wouldn't be terribly upset if we got a kings ransom for #1. Would give us the chance to finally put something competent around Sam and see what he's really got.

4. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Funny how being jet fan affects the wife. Lol. Yeah, Gino was not good pick and was given high expectations by misled team management.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

If you got a deal like Washington gave for RG3 I am all over it and taking it 10/10 times.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If there's a team that can ruin a generational QB prospect, it's the Jets.

7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Well sure, If we get 3 1sts and a 2nd, I'm taking that all day, everyday.

dawinner127 and Sack exchange like this.
  8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Ain't that the truth!

Hopefully JD realizes what's been done to Sam and won't let that either A) continue to happen to him or B) happen to whoever they draft next. JD has enough assets going forward that he should be able to build a competent offense within the next year or two.

9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

At minimum you are going to get 3 1's or 2 1's and 2 2's. That's the starting price.

I think some people here don't understand what that pricetag for that pick would be. (not saying you specifically)

IDFjet and jilozzo like this.
  10. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I hope he is not delusional to believe Gase is a good HC with brilliant offensive mind.. if so, how long does it take to start over with new HC. Hope he is not like CJ that said he didn’t fire Macc because he didn’t want to embarrass him, he embarrassed himself! And Gase the same. After this weeks fiasco, CJ looks like a delusional fool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why is the bold so mind boggling? There isn't a plethora of quality QBs running around the NFL. Both Fitz and McCown are still employed. The bold is exactly why JD drafted Morgan this year, yet many posters decried that pick.

How is it that this team hasn't had a quality edge rushers since Jon Abraham? That is mind boggling. How is it that they've had so many suck ass QBs since Namath? How is it that they haven't drafted or had a great WR since Al Toon?

The answer is the Jets' owners. Leon Hess was a total effing moron when it came to football and so are the Johnson brothers. They didn't have the common sense to hire a quality football man and let him run the team, and then have high expectations. Instead, they hired totally incompetent, unqualified boobs to run the team at GM and HC. At least Hess didn't play dilettante and meddle like Woody Johnson did. Chris Johnson at least shows some signs of learning and trying, but he is still a doofus.

12. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

I don't think we had any expectations prior to the draft as we didn't think he'd get down to us at #3 and my take is that the Jets were looking to take Rosen over Mayfield.

13. NCJetsfan

Not many expected Rodgers to turn into the QB he has. Look at where he was drafted. Stafford hasn't done much. Wentz can't stay healthy, and isn't blowing the NFL away when he is. I have no idea who Flynn is supposed to be. Darnold was VERY highly rated by the experts and fans. He had the arm, the accuracy, accuracy on the move, touch, ball placement, and ability to extend plays. He wasn't on P. Manning's or Luck's level, but wasn't considered that far below them.

#173 NCJetsfan, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  14. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i think he will end up somewhere else and become a good nfl qb, sadly i dont know if it will happen here. i think gase is a goner, i think that douglas will stay so it really depends on what he thinks. BUT if you have a chance to get a great one and you dont currently have a great one you have to pull the trigger.

watching them hit the flats with success in the first half you have to assume the defense will make some adjustments, they did. the jets did not. the easy flat throws got blown up in the 2nd half. im sure that is mostly play calling but at some point hte qb is the one with the ball in his hands.

Snatch Catch likes this.
  15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

It obviously depends on how far back we drop. We just drop back to 2nd from 1st, probably won't get all of that, right?

We drop back to 6th like the Redsk...The Washington Football Team did, then we probably get something similar to what they got in the RG3 trade.

There's 2 ways this season plays out now IMO. Either the Jets are bad but Darnold continues to improve and ultimately gives the FO/CS enough confidence in him that they maintain hope he's their guy. Or the Jets are bad and Darnold looks more like he did in Week 1 than Week 2 and the FO/CS now has little to no faith in Sam as their guy for the future. If scenario 1 happens, sign me up for the trade down. If scenario 2 happens, I'm taking Lawrence and not looking back.

16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I can't imagine Gase is here after the year. Barring some miracle turnaround of the offense, he's a goner IMO.

17. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

If we end up with a shot at a highly rated QB even if it's not Lawrence then you take it.

Better to have 4-5 cheap years at what's otherwise the most highly paid position and spend the savings elsewhere in the expectation of a 2-3 year window then the lock up capital in a guy that isn't a gamebreaker on his most devestating day.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

For me, it would depend upon the talent level of that draft. Some drafts are very strong and deep. Some are pretty strong at a position group or two, but weak in other areas. Some are pretty weak drafts overall. Getting all those picks in a weak draft or in a draft that is weak at our greatest positions of need (WR, Edge, RB, TE, OG, and maybe QB) wouldn't really help as most of the players would wind up being mediocre or busts.

#178 NCJetsfan, Sep 21, 2020
  19. NCJetsfan

IMO if a GM has any questions at all about his QB, he should keep drafting a QB until he is sure he has the right QB. So, since JD didn't draft Sam, if he has any doubts at all, and we have the option of taking Lawrence or Fields, then he almost has to take one of them unless he gets blown away with some huge trade offer. Even then, however, if one doesn't have a topflight QB, one's chances of sustainable success are practically nil. I'm not sure all of those picks are worth passing on the opportunity to draft a generational QB if Lawrence is indeed one (and I think he probably is). That generational QB will succeed even with a lesser team around him.

OTOH, if Sam isn't ruined and gun-shy like David Carr was, he's plenty good enough that with quality coaching and adding a bunch of high draft picks around him, the Jets could win. My concerns are that Sam seems too California laid back. He isn't aggressive/assertive enough, doesn't have the go for the jugular mentality. He's too nice. I think part of that is due to his own struggles and perhaps lack of confidence, and part of it has been the mentality/philosophy of his OCs and HCs with the Jets. They've been to conservative, too cautious. If that's true then that will probably always be a problem for him and the team.

We just have to hope that JD has an accurate read on the situation and will make a wise decision.

#179 NCJetsfan, Sep 21, 2020
    Snatch Catch and KY Jets Fan like this.
  20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I totally agree which is why I'm not all aboard "The Trade Down Train". It will depend on how far down, the compensation, who we would expect to get at that pick, etc.

NCJetsfan likes this.