Is Sam already ruined?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jerryjeudy, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I truly wish this looked like a Pennington dink and dunk. Never thought I see the day...

I couldn’t be arsed to give the game all of my attention, but it appeared to me that Sam often went with his first read. Was he going through his progressions on a regular basis? I can’t see how that’s possible if he only threw a handful of passes over 10 yards.

Then again, if that’s how we’re calling plays.

#141 Jets81, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

This is my stance as well. If we’re so bad that we’re drafting 1st, we take Lawrence. Fair or unfair to Sam, we have to pull the trigger on that for a couple of reasons.

1) It's not everyday you get to draft a generational talent at the most important position in the sport.
    2) If we're that bad, Gase is 100% gone this offseason. We get to hire a brand new staff and push the reset button. Gase won't be around to destroy Lawrence.
    3) Unfortunately for Sam, if we're this bad, it's most likely because he hasn't shown the type of progression we're hoping for in Year 3.

And before I get killed on here, I don't think 3 is all on Sam. I think what the Jets have done to this young man is a travesty. You look at all the other young signal callers drafted before/after him. Buffalo went out and got Diggs for Josh Allen, gave him a solid rushing attack, and a created a great defense. Cleveland has Odell, Landry, Njoku, Chubb, and Hunt. Baltimore built their entire offense to emphasize Lamar's strengths. What have the Jets done since Sam's been here? Let their best WR walk in FA and signed an aging RB (I actually liked the Bell signing at the time but clearly it hasn't worked out). The skill positions, outside of the Mims pick and signing Le'Veon, have been grossly neglected to the point that we are forced to trot out the ageless wonder Frank Gore (no disrespect to the man), Chris Hogan, Braxton Berrios, and Josh Malone yesterday. There's nothing else to call that other than incompetence.

As I said at the top, fair or unfair to Sam, if we're drafting 1st overall, I don't see any scenario where we don't take Lawrence. If that's how this season goes, I just don't think Sam will have shown enough to warrant us picking up his 5th year option, which would be 20M+, and if we're not willing to do that, are we really that sold on him being our Franchise QB?

3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Seems like a win win. Let them battle it out in TC.

If Darnold wins, the world sees what he looks like with a better coach, a better OL, and more weapons (in theory). Possibly increases his value. If Lawrence wins then it means he’s playing well enough to get the nod over year 4 Darnold.

I know a lot of people would try to trade Darnold. If the value is there, go for it. The value probably won’t be there in this scenario, though.

Some people are of the opinion that you can’t “ruin” a QB. Maybe not, but you can sure as hell set one up for failure.

4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Absolutely. Unless someone offers up a really good pick for Darnold during the off-season/draft, I would be all for keeping Sam and letting those 2 battle it out during camp.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Passing on Lawrence is passing on Andrew Luck. I'm not an expert but I'd grade him only slightly below Luck. Luck was virtually can't miss and a shoe-in to be a good to great NFL quarterback. Lawrence is only slightly below that. His floor feels like 2019 Josh Allen because he'll run around and run linebackers over to move the chains.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Not sure what the Jet Fans’ expectation of Darnold to begin with. I doubt that he will ever be the same level as Peyton, Luck or Rodgers’ even with the good OC and supporting casts. He s obviously not a playmaker like Jackson and Mahomes and Wilson with his running ability.

Question is do the Jets believe that Darnold is the QB for the future to build around, even with a new OC? Is he just an average QB that will be good enough to win games and playoffs with the right casts and better defense in the future? If so, focus the next two years on building the offense. However it is beyond boggling they don’t have a decent back up QB.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

He was an extremely high rated prospect. His biggest red flag in college is not what is plaguing him in the NFL right now. There was a big worry that he was going to be a turnover machine by way of forcing bad decisions. That's not his issue right now. He's playing scared.

Blame the coach, blame the player. Blame whoever you want. But Darnold is not playing up to his potential. In his 3rd year he still has a bad roster around him but he should look better than he's playing. He's not the first quarterback to have a bad supporting cast - young or otherwise.

8. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Agreed, but this is what he does well. He's always done this well. How about the HC/OC coming up with game plans that use this part of his game more as well.

Mogriffjr and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Not to mention getting rid of “brilliant” offensive game plan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Sack exchange

Talent wise Lawrence no better than Sam in my opinion, so if all remained same, Lawrence would probably do worse!

11. Sack exchange

Hemp sucked on day one? Should not have drafted!

12. Sack exchange

Gino...

Patriot likes this.
  13. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Yes he was high prospect. But honestly did you anticipate him being a Rodgers, Peyton, Luck? a Stafford, a Flynn, a Wentz?

I don’t know where Darnold is right now and that is the sad part. I take a average Darnold with a depth all around. Right now we have neither imo.

14. Sack exchange

What you want from Darnold, he played good with what he had yesterday, last week he was bad, but this he was flinging it nicely, no int, and bad drop. Like I said, put a HOF QB in this situation, he may look better, but will NOT have success the way this team currently stand. It is a cluster f. We should lower expectation at least till Gase is fired or at least get some healthy WRs.

15. Sack exchange

I think Darnold has high ceiling, and to get better he has some part, but the situation is not optimal with this team. I wish things were different because you might see Darnold develop, but unfortunately it is what it is. That’s why ownership/management is so very important. I went to camp last year, it was obvious Darnold had phenomenal talent. Hope he gets to realize with jets!

16. Jonathan_Vilma

He didn't play good. He played scared. His team sucks but he's not the first quarterback to have a team that sucks.

He doesn't get an excuse in year 3 with a better line. There was some pressure, similar to the Bills game, but he wasn't under siege all day in either games. He had some time to make some plays.

17. Sack exchange

I suppose we will agree to disagree, I thought he played good for what was given.

18. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I definitely agree on lowering expectations on Darnold especially around Gase. I am for keeping Darnold for the future but has to come with a new OC, and some improved OL and offensive weapons. I don’t think getting A new QB is the answer especially where the Jets have the opportunity to select some quality picks on offense in their first 8 draft picks (through 5 rounds) to build a better offensive depth and that may include a backup mobile QB.

19. Sack exchange

Good not great! There were some positives, I would think you would have to agree, compared to last week.

20. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

not quite, almost.