Is Sam already ruined?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jerryjeudy, Sep 17, 2020.

1. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Ah, you heard that in a postgame presser? That’s unbelievable then since this is his 3rd year. Just goes to show you how bad this coaching staff is to handcuff your Qb.

2. 94Abraham

My thoughts exactly. I’d like for him to try to extend plays and not check to a short gain every chance he gets. He doesn’t have a terrible arm to he handcuffing him in this Pennington-like dink and dunk offense.

3. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

He has no one to throw to - we are starting scrap heap receivers and PS level dudes that wouldn't even be on another roster (including the PS). It's that bad. Can't evaluate the QB when he's throwing to guys off the street who don't even know the route tree or are incapable of actually performing. We've got both right now.

4. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have inside knowledge of the calling playing and know what the primary routes of every play is. Which coach are you?

azhar80 likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You don't have to be a brainiac or a coach to understand the below concept.

[​IMG]

In man coverages the out is not converting a 3rd and 9. You don't need to be calling the plays you just need to be watching the game and understand the route concept.

Sam was throwing the ball on this concept before he even hit his back foot in a three step drop.

Pepsiguy5, Jets81 and 94Abraham like this.
  6. 94Abraham

You’re missing the point of what Vilma was saying. Hes saying he isn’t looking for deeper receivers on the routes on playcalls. He’s looking for the short ones and just letting it go quick. He isn’t giving some of these plays a chance to possibly be more.

Jets81 likes this.
  7. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Sam isn't ruined. In fact, I though he executed the gameplan almost perfectly ... which is tragic.
    I honestly can't take any criticism of this QB seriously until we get rid of this dipshit coach, and get someone in here who let's him throw the damn ball downfield. We were 5-14 on third down conversions today ... and I'll eat my hat if we threw past the sticks more than 4 times all day on 3rd down. He made a few bad throws, but for the most part he put the ball exactly where it was supposed to be ... completely sideways, or 8 yards in front of the markers.

Hey Peyton ... GO F#%K YOURSELF.

Pepsiguy5 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's priceless for you to call someone else an idiot, and you can barely communicate. He is a good and valued poster, and he can write a coherent post and use correct grammar and the correct words. He also writes informative posts and contributes something positive to the board. All you do is act like a braying jackass laughing at people's posts and insulting them. That's rich considering that you have a weak grasp on the English language. Your post should read, "Well, you're an idiot. You're comparing Sam to a once-in-a-generation player." "your a idiot" and "once and a generation player" ROFLMAO!

9. NCJetsfan

Factor in the drops, and his completion percentage would be even better. Replace the stiffs we have playing WR with quality WRs, and we'd have more yardage, and probably more points too.

Jets81 likes this.
  10. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

He actually played pretty well today for the situation he was given

Jets need to mix it up and take some shots down the field though for everyone’s sake

When the QB is running the game plan pretty much how it’s meant to be and you still get your doors blown off, it’s time to re-evaluate

11. NCJetsfan

He hasn't had 3 years. This is his second year. He's only "had" 2 years.

12. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

Ok typo error forum police - sorry I’m not a over excited butt kissing fan like you

13. NCJetsfan

The negativity here is sickening and pathetic. People exaggerating, twisting facts, and focusing only on negatives to support their agenda that the sky is falling. Giving up on Darnold at this point would be insane. Lawrence is a very good, maybe great prospect, but if he doesn't get any better coaching than Sam has received, doesn't have better protection than Sam has received, and doesn't have any better offensive skill position players around him than Sam has had, he will fail too, and the same people who are screaming about Sam today, will be screaming about Lawrence in a year or two.

Sam may be toast, but I think it's way too early to determine that. We'd look like fools to give up on him, let him go to another team for little or nothing, and then see him become a top 15 QB. Regardless if Sam is still our QB or if we draft Lawrence or Fields, we need to hope that JD signs a good WR and 2 OGs in FA, then continues to focus solely on offense in the draft and uses the rest of the picks through the 5th round on offense unless we don't have to draft a QB, then maybe we can add an Edge as well. 1st - Lawrence, WR or Edge, 1st - WR, Edge, or TE, 2nd - WR, TE or RB, 3rd - WR, 3rd - RB or TE, 4th - RB, and 5th - OG.

We need to come out of the offseason with at least one, if not two new starting OGs, 2-3 WRs, a new starting TE that can catch, a new starting RB and improved depth on the OL.

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

There is such a difference between bad QB play and an inept offense, which is what the Jets are right now with Sam. People overreacted to Sam having an off game Week 1. I watched many Mark Sanchez, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Geno Smith games where they looked clueless half the time. Sam looked like that at Miami his rookie year and the ghosts game against the Pats, but the majority of the time he looks good. He can only do so much in a team sport. He looked good today. His lack of WR's, running game, protection, Gase's play calling, etc. hinders him so much.

I still have faith in Sam. My only worry is his downfield ability. I feel like he doesn't take enough shots down the field. Today he had no WR's to do it, but he rarely did it last year either. He will feel more comfortable when he has actual WR's who are able to go down field and an o-line can protect long enough for him to look downfield though.

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If we can draft Lawrence, we draft Lawrence. Doesn't matter whether Darnold would be better on a competent team, Lawrence is a generational prospect, and when there's a guy like that available you take him. Imagine if the Cardinals stuck with Rosen instead of drafting Murray because Rosen had a bad team around him in his rookie year. And that was despite Murray being 5 foot whatever he is; Lawrence is literally the perfect prospect.

Snatch Catch and KY Jets Fan like this.
  16. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Being a Jet fan for a while, I have had most of my arguments over the QB.

For years I have noticed that there is an "It is not the QB's fault but the organization's fault.

The classic example was Geno Smith. After being injured on the famous punch, you got better play from the Fitz. Fitz is no Probowler, but still gave you better production. Geno Smith now is a backup QB and what has he done? Obviously a bad pick.

Sam better prove himself soon or otherwise, he was a bad pick.

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Do you think it might help if the team had a quarterbacks coach?

18. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I’ll state this. A team in 2020 is starting Chris Hogan and Frank Gore at skill positions.

That signals it’s bad for Sam.

Who and what is there to open up the field especially when Perriman left the game. They dressed 4 WR’s, Perriman is the only one with long speed to get deep.

Hogan is strictly a possession WR who you don’t want going deep.

Berrios is a shifty slot guy

What is Malone?

That was your WR corps today. Not even some of the long speed guys dressed like Jeff friggin Smith, Mims and the like.

The RB corps, I’m begging the staff to let Perine get more practice reps if he’s healthy enough because the Jets need fresh legs. Enough of Gore. Id be even willing to let Ballage get PT because he has burner speed. This team needs speed at its skill positions like right now and fast. I feel for Sam because he’s playing a short passing game because he has no choice but to with the weapons he currently has. Even then dudes are sitting on the short routes.

19. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Get this man some damn weapons! Looks like VR got beaten like a drum, Sam escapes and throws a seed to Berrios for a TD. HE NEEDS HELP.

20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Gase is still employed, so apparently the Jets don't know how bad things are going.

ColoradoContrails likes this.