Is Sam already ruined?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jerryjeudy, Sep 17, 2020.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Plenty of posters criticized Sam's decision making last week. Not sure there's a cult here that believes he can do no wrong.

NCJetsfan and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  2. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Come on dude. Allen is having a bright season regardless who he plays against. Got to give credit when it’s due. Regardless the supporting cast, Allen is racking up yards in the air and with his legs. He’s moving the chains. You can sense the Bills going deep in territory in every possessions. Nothing to take away from Darnold but Allen is prospering in the offensive system.

3. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

The only QB he might be better than is Haskins

let that sink in

semperfigreen likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Uh yeah, I DO know Allen has to make the throws, but he actually has some talented receivers to throw to, and a HC/OC that have a clue about designing plays and game plans. Go back to your own forum and enjoy your Allen circle jerk.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There's no Darnold cult. Justin Herbert looks better in his first NFL start right now as a game time decision start due to injury. Darnold looks atrocious.

BuffaloBills06 and semperfigreen like this.
  6. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I haven't seen much of anything from Darnold since we drafted him (as desperate as I am to try and see something or find some positives) but when the offense as a whole is as bad as the Jets its just so hard to judge - would be great if we could borrow someone like Brees for 1 game just to see what its like with a competent QB and see how he would fair on this team - nothing will ever change with this team it is the ultimate snake bitten franchise that will always be unlucky in everything it does - the way every draft pick is a mistake, every high price signing is bad, everything that can go wrong just goes wrong for the Jets

7. Thewatchfuleye

Thewatchfuleye Active Member

I’m not sure if Darnold is actually good or bad. I don’t know how you’d evaluate that with this. The coaching sucks. He seems to be performing adequately within the narrow margins of what they’re doing (not much). Completion percentage is decent. Offensive schemes suck.

8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Now let's see him do that with gore, Hogan Berrios and Jeff Malone.

9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

This take might be unpopular, but Sam actually didn't look too bad out there today given the circumstances. Reminds me a bit of that game in Cincy last year where the stats were nothing to write home about, but the eye test showed someone who did all he could with what he had to work with.

10. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Well despite some of the wild, and I mean wild, anti-Allen stuff read on this board the fact that he is a "good" QB has never been in question. It does appear though that he's continuing to get better and may end up being way the hell better than just "good" which I kind of had a feeling he might all along.

11. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Gore was a top 3 player today so please stop blaming him for why Sam sucks

guy gets 3-5 yards Per and is solid All around

12. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I don't understand what people are expecting Sam to do with the cast of characters and the coaching that he is getting. No offense to Vilma, but to call Darnold's performance today atrocious is misguided IMHO. He had little help from his receivers, but he put the ball where it had to be in most all circumstances. Again he had multiple drops (Hogan in the first quarter and Herndon in the endzone). To me, Darnold did about as good as he could given the receivers and the game situation. I think some people think a QB is supposed to lift everyone regardless of the team around him.

Just look at two particular plays that he made - the throw at the end of the game and the Herndon drop. Both of those plays were top shelf. If you can't admit that then I don't know what to say. He may have missed a throw here or there (perhaps when the Jets were already far down and were throwing constantly), but I certainly didn't see any atrocious QB play today. I will restate what I said after the first game. Only near perfect QB would have given the Jets a chance to win yesterday.

Darnold made a few bad throws last week, but I don't see where you can really fault him this week - unless you just want to pile on assuming that any NFL QB should be successful no matter what the circumstances are.

13. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Sam was far from awful today.
    The performance was nothing to write home about but consider these key moments.

1 play opening TD - on D, but even more on Coaching Staff
    Stopped 3rd and 4th and 1 with run up the gut, nothing to do with Sam.
    Herndon’s drop in the end zone on a really good play by Sam.
    Third and 31 - first down run.

Personally I think it is time to move on and I was a big supporter, but terrible coaching and overall lack of talent were bigger factors in the L today then Sam.

14. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

I think what we're dealing with here is a team that is just so shitty that there's no hope to evaluate a QB - we almost can't re-sign him. It would be inexcusable to do so, we almost need to start over and he's just a waste, we don't know if he's any good and frankly, we'll probably have to let him go to another team to find out if he is any good. First off you need to protect him, which we kind of addressed this year, but then he needs talent around him. What little talent there is, is hurt. It's a throw you hands up and walk away type of situation. Only the NYJ could pull this off.

CotcheryFan and Snatch Catch like this.
  15. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I thought Sam was good today with what he had. Not sure why all the doom and gloom around him, I thought he stood up and made some nice throws. Not many mistakes. No QB would win that game, that includes namith manning or joe Montana!! We were not competitive be in many ways. I think it is unfair to bash Darnold after this game. Last week was did, but he showed this week. Let’s try to be real fellas this game is on poor coaching, and lack of talent and execution. Should it be bashing Darnold, but Gase and Williams, they were putrid getting the team ready!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Darnold completed 21/32 passes today. That's 66%.Last week was 21/35 which is still 60%.

I'm pretty sure our inability to run the ball is absolutely destroying our offense. The right side of the o-line looks atrocious.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

are you kidding me? at what point do you ever feel that Gore is going to pull a Mostert and take off for a 70+yd TD run

the niners running backs got about 150% more yards on less than half as many carries as Gore got (who averaged 3 yds per carry, not "3-5" yds)

18. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

no, see ryan tannehill.

however how can teh jets make a decision on him at this point? if they get a high draft pick what do they do? draft another qb? or hope that sam figures it out after this debacle.

19. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Gore had 21 rushes for 63 yards - averaging exactly 3.0 yards per carry, with 12 out of 21 runs for 3 yards or less and 9 of his 21 runs for 2 yards or less. I am not saying that Gore sucked (although the rest of the Jets with admittedly small sample number) averaged 5 yards per play. However, to praise Gore and dump on Darnold stretches the imagination - IMHO.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  20. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Darnold had about 4 off target passes today but I’m not going harp on that. Darnold just doesn’t come off as a smart QB at all. He never audibles. He is bad at reading defenses. He seems to be at his best out of the pocket but you can’t keep calling rollouts all the time since it takes away half the field. We all saw how he should of audibled for a QB sneak on 4th and 1. Many other times Gore gets a nice 1st down run and on 2nd down, you can clearly see San Fran loading the box and having a man unaccounted for but Darnold just runs it right into the teeth of the defense for no gain or a loss. Good QBs audible at the line when they see a play that is doomed but not Darnold. It’s his 3rd year and he still plays like a rookie.

All Gas No Shake likes this.