Ya'll Ready For Another Tank Season?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Sep 17, 2020.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

We will find out soon enough, unfortunately.

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

You can’t tank if you simply suck.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Teams never tank. At least not the players.

Think about it.

"Hey, we want you guys to lose the last 3 games so we can draft better players to replace you with, OK?"

Players are battling for their lives and careers. At most, when the PO are out of the picture you will see players padding their stats vs playing to win at all costs. Players on a losing team may make a few more 'business decisions', but NONE of them will throw a game on purpose.

Even asking them to is sad...on your part.

johnny likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First, I agree with twown that you never ask players to not try to win. The closest to "tanking" as team would get is if ownership told the CS to "rest" some key players or list them as "injured" to increase the chance of losing. It's obvious that some teams have done this in all sports that have drafting.

As to wanting the Jets to tank, personally I'm against it because I can't bear the thought of seeing the team I've rooted for for over 57 years lose every single week. Sorry, I just can't stomach it, even if I don't watch the games. Moreover, if there's any chance that Darnold can become a decent QB, subjecting him to that kind of losing would almost certainly prevent that from happening. And finally, until Gase is gone, what's the point in drafting the "next great, can't miss QB"? He'd only be ruined.

At this point I want the Jets to do everything they can to win and be competitive. IMO that means Gase should be fired immediately as he is the biggest obstacle to Sam doing well and the team winning. Once he's gone, they have a chance to begin building on the few pieces they have already.

Tanking would mean starting from scratch all over again, and I just don't have any patience for that. I'll be done.

boozer32 likes this.
  5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Browns rang up 30 points against the Bengals. That is 4 games worth of Jets scoring.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

And a whooping 6 against the Ravens for an average of 18. Jets on a shit show performance, missing wide open receivers for TD against one of the best defenses scored 17. Now let’s do the math again. Jets suck, but let’s not put the Browns in the scoring machine category yet.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

In addition, it points that we have room for optimism. Even with all that went wrong in the game: Sam's horrible mechanics, decision making, lousy accuracy, the dropped passes, WRs not getting open, shaky OL play, Gase's play calling, etc., we still scored 17 point against one of the best defenses in the NFL. Our personnel and talent must not be as awful as some here have posited. If we can scored 17 points against a top defense, when our offense was an almost total disaster, think of what we can potentially do when the OL gels, Sam settles down, all of our offensive players are healthy, and Gase is gone.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Exactly right NC. Therein the big question surrounding Sam performance and Gase coaching. How much is it on Sam and how much on Gase. Is Gase doing anything to help Sam get better, regain his mental strength and confidence or just the opposite. I think the later but we shall soon see based on this week game plan.

9. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Personally, I just can’t go there.

10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the Over/Under on how many times the Jets offense gets past the 50 yard line tomorrow ?

11. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Indeed. The thought of players playing to less than their abilities so that the team can get a better draft position - making it easier to get replacements to possibly take their jobs - is idiotic. Now there may be a subset of lazy players that don't play their best when the season is lost. However, that's not tanking.

12. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Tomorrow’s game is going to be hard to watch. I do NOT see it going well at all (even with Ford, Sherman, and Kittle out)

As I said in a different thread, I am highly concerned for Darnold’s season/career with the Jets. It seems like this could be the season where it all falls apart.

Mims, Crowder, and Bell all out. That’s...bad. We have 37 year old (God I wish that were a typo) Frank Gore starting tomorrow’s game.

13. K'OB

I am unaware that anybody has actually suggested this?

14. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Your logic does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about the Jets. The Ravens and Bengals are probably better than the Bills and the Jets just looked bad against. So let's just settle in for a long season and hope either Gase resigns or the Johnsons remove him because there is a small window to reenergize the base. A new GM like Douglas is not gonna do it alone.

15. DefenseWinsChampionships

Too bad we can't root for Seattle to tank. JD really screwed us. Not only did he refuse to pay a future HOF talent and our best player since Revis but he traded him away to a real SB Contender. Seattle will give us picks between 28-30ish lol.

A real franchise in Seattle will not only give away picks for Jamal but also pay him long term. A crap franchise and shit GM JD did the complete opposite.

16. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

K'OB, isn't players not trying to win a part of tanking for better draft position?

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

TOTALLY AGREE WITH THE BOLD. ONLY THING BETTER IF THE JOHNSONS SELL THE TEAM TO A REAL NFL OWNER

boozer32 and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

What part about Adams not wanting to be a Jet, or play for Gase period, or safety being one of strongest position in the defense is it you think had no bearing on the trade?
    Against Buffalo, we missed having a no shit QB, a motivating coach, a real pass rusher, a shut down corner, a solid ILB, and an explosive WR a lot more than Adam. Not having Adam was the least of our problems..

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. K'OB

I don't disagree with that statement but who has actually said that?

Teams don't tank by players playing at half speed, well apart from the bag carriers like Trumaine etc but by having such a shit squad that even if the players are given 1009% they are still not going to win a game.

Hence why I said we can't even do that right.

20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

49ers backups >>> Jets starters