Is Sam already ruined?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jerryjeudy, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

I don’t think he is, but I’m seeing a lot of negative chatter on him after Game 1

Sam always looks like shit early in the year and then gets better as the season goes on

He’s your classic slow starter

And with no preseason this year, it makes sense that he would play even crappier than usual in the beginning of the season

For a 4-game stretch in both of his seasons, he looks like one of the top QBs in the league

That’s my best argument against him being cooked

I think he needs a new offensive coordinator and 1 top 20 WR and he’ll be fine

Gase needs to be jettisoned as well

So for those who think the Jets have already ruined Sam, what is your argument?

What are the signs that he is beyond repair after just 2 seasons and Game 1 in year 3?

Patriot likes this.
  2. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Looking at joe borrow tonight, I am sure impressed so far, I think Sam just as talented, just I think the support structure not there. Needs to build on things, but confidence not good from continuous losing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Footballgod214 and rammagen like this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Darnold will ressurrect his career at 25 years old with another team.

sackexchange likes this.
  5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I guess there were just not enough Sam Darnold threads already in existence.

94Abraham likes this.
  6. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

If Crowder is not playing, that s gonna be brutal watching Sam without much supporting casts. I hope the rookie RB plays.

7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I don't think he is yet, but he is on his way. People who have better eyes than any us on this board have been reiterating all week that Sam still has the talent, but the Coach is doing nothing to help him.

rammagen and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Benjamin Solak with The Draft Network did a great write up on Sam about a week ago. I'll post the link below.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/sam-darnold-jets-evaluation-breakdown-fix

"Darnold has become so gunshy against pressure that his poor footwork is now working even into clean throwing platforms, where he has room to step up and throw. Darnold got the worst ball placement score among 22 charted quarterbacks when throwing from a clean platform last year despite throwing generally catchable footballs, indicating that he’s failing to slot the ball relative to coverage or maximize YAC."

"His accuracy issues are getting worse as time goes on, not better—and that’s a direct consequence of the pressure he’s experienced and his lack of scripted response to it. This is where coaching and development should be condemned."

"Where was this at USC? It wasn’t as bad. Darnold was a below-average passer against pressure who got pressured a decent bit, but with such a quick-game offense and glut of talent, Darnold was not penalized for hammering his first read, and could just zip the ball out of the pocket before blitzes or pressure games materialized. In an uninspired West Coast cookie cutter offense with a poor supporting cast, Darnold’s first read is harder to access, and he’s more prone to chucking up early, downfield prayers to vertical threats in a facsimile of his old, quick-game offense. When he tries to read a spacing concept, he’s often right, but not remarkably accurate, and his internal clock screams after a mere two seconds."

I still like Sam, but I've said it all off-season, this is a make or break year for him, fair or unfair. This is year 3, at this point there's got to be a level of consistency in his game. The past 2 years you've been able to chalk up the bad to either A) rookie mistakes or B) coming off of Mono. Sure, he has no help, either from the playcalling or the talent/weapons around him which is why no one is expecting him to be this year's Patrick Mahomes or Lamar Jackson. What we can't continue to see is what we saw last Sunday. A QB that misses wide open throws, looks skittish in the pocket, and continues to make rookie mistakes (crossbody INT, not throwing the ball away, etc.).

Sam's NFL career is far from over so I'm not totally ready to write him off just yet but he's got to start showing people why he was the #3 pick back in 2018. He's got to cut out the stupid mistakes, shore up his footwork, and become a consistently solid QB this year. Otherwise, we could be looking at a 3-13/4-12 season, and at that point guys like Trevor Lawerence/Justin Fields/Trey Lance may be more of an option than we think.

9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The Fans are ruined ..welcome to the Club

10. UK_Chilts

UK_Chilts Well-Known Member

“we could be looking at a 3-13/4-12 season, and at that point guys like Trevor Lawerence/Justin Fields/Trey Lance may be more of an option than we think.“

Fine. But what makes you think that drafting another highly ranked QB will improve matters. It is the so-called supporting cast on offence that needs the focus, surely?

11. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

If Darnold is Derek Carred then matters would be improved as the new QB would not already be ruined I guess is the implication. Of course, a year with the Jets and they probably would be!

The truth is, I suspect, that Darnold has always been more adversely effected by pressure than the average QB. He may always be so and this may mean he fails, however the way that the Jets have gone about building around him has actually emphasized and exposed this weakness rather than minimized and protected him. If he busts, a lot of it is on what the Jets have done around him, but it maybnot ultimately have been avoidable.

12. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

If he is "ruined" already, then he's mentally weak. I don't think that's the case, he's just surrounded by suckiness from top to bottom.

13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

That's a fair question but I have to imagine that if we're that bad, we know Sam isn't the guy anymore. We would also be in a prime position to draft a guy like Lawerence who many think is one of the best QB prospects since Luck. You can't pass that up, you just can't, not in today's NFL.

Factor in the amount of cap space we're projected to have, all of the additional picks we have this year and next year, and we could be looking at a totally revamped offense sooner rather than later.

If we're sitting there at #1, short of some ungodly kings ransom deal, I take Trevor Lawerence 10/10 times. I then use all of those resources I just highlighted to give him the help that Sam never got.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. Sack exchange

I remember when they said Goff was ruined...

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Like I said before the Buffalo game, Sam has to learn to trust this o-line. Last week he couldn't relax and trust them which shows how much damage last season did to him. If a developing QB doesn't trust the protection the game never slows down for them and its always a fire drill.

We don't know to what degree he is struggling with this because its only one game (a game which most of the team looked unprepared). The next 3 or 4 weeks will answer a lot.

16. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned , if the Jets draft another QB, Gase should be long gone. Why take a chance on another kid only for the fact that Gase failed with Sam?

17. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I was also impressed with Burrow. One thing that hit me during the final drive, when flushed out running to the sideline, Burrows had the presence of mind to throw the ball away,negating the sack and loss of yardage. Sam still tucks the ball and runs out of bounds. Year 3 and he is still making the same mental errors.

All Gas No Shake and rammagen like this.
  18. 50ShadesOfGreen

50ShadesOfGreen Well-Known Member

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Sam was ruined the day he was drafted by the Jets.. Just bad luck for Sam to be drafted by an organization with its head planted firmly up its ass.

20. Sack exchange

I agree, there is growth that needs to happen, I think that is an issue, where he is making same errors even 3rd yr... Burrow had few costly rookie errors, but overall good start. CIN not good team. But their WR corps not bad, unlike us.

TonyFtLaud likes this.