Ya'll Ready For Another Tank Season?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Sep 17, 2020.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Thanks, I'm open to this possibility now. It's frustrating that we'll likely have to wait at least another year to see our QB put up top 10 numbers.

2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Glad to help! I'm still hopeful Sam can be our guy but that thought is definitely not as strong as it was before last Sunday. Hopefully by the end of the year he makes me look like an idiot for even questioning him but either way I think we'll have our answer on Sam by the end of the year.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that we don't wind up drafting in the top 3. If we do, Gase had better be gone. If not, he could undermine any personnel improvements, and Sam still struggle. I hope that we don't have to start over at QB, but if we do, hope we can get Lawrence. If not, I'd rather stick with Sam with a better HC, better skill position players and a better OL, than roll with Fields or any other QB in the draft. In that scenario, I'd rather have Chase than Sewell. While it would be great to have a pair of bookend tackles, it's not necessary that they both be studs, and we need a stud WR for Sam. If we're unhappy with Fant at RT, we can probably get a very good, if not excellent RT with Seattle's pick in the 1st round or our 2nd round pick. If Chase is gone by our pick, then Sewell would make a nice consolation prize, but I would fear too much cap space would wind up being tied up on the OL, and it wouldn't leave enough in future years to pay for elite QB, WR and Edge contracts.

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

People wanting to tank this season might as well admit they have given up on Darnold. This season is key in his development. You cant just throw it away or say, "I hope he plays well in losses". That is not how it works and is a joke. If he doesn't make strides and lead us to wins this season he will never become the QB you want him to be. Just admit you have given up on him.

#24 ouchy, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    The Dark Knight likes this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well, supposedly but they don't even do that right.

6. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I've watched a little bit of the upcoming QBs bracing for the possibility of us picking top 3 and I'm not a Lawrence fan at all. Fields is the guy I'd want.

legler82 likes this.
  7. K'OB

I think this season is a gonna already, may as well draft 1-3, steel yourself and come back next year with a better feeling about the team and hopefully a covid free or as covid free as Sars as become etc.

8. NCJetsfan

We already have Becton protecting his blindside. Becton probably would not be willing to move to the right side or may not be as effective there. The other issue is that both Becton and Sewell will command big second contracts. That will mean too much money tied up on the OL and hamper Douglas with the cap and paying an elite Edge, QB, and WR. IMO the idea of having both Becton and Sewell on the same OL is a nice idea, but not very realistic imo. I'd rather have Chase or an elite Edge, or if Sam is still in doubt, Lawrence.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I totally agree. Chase over Sewell all day, but getting Sewell wouldn't be the end of the world IMO.

Wouldn't it be a nice problem to have if our 2 OT's ended up being studs that we had to pay in a few years? Sign me up for that.

Noam, Jets81 and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Exactly. That is why fans talking like this is ridiculous to me. Sam had a bad game Week 1, but you don't throw away the #3 overall pick (who is 23 by the way) that you gave up so much for because he had a bad game, with no weapons, on the road, with a new o-line, against a good defense, in a pandemic. It's why Jets fans drive me nuts. It's fair to worry about Sam now, but give up on him? Terrible.

johnny, twown and ouchy like this.
  11. K'OB

If this season is key to his development (it was) then he is already a lost cause, the WR class is a shambles and the OL though on paper looks better than last year, it didn't really perform as such v the Bills, granted they should get better but if they do what they did last year and 'rescue' the season from 1-7 to 7-9 all it has done is fuck us over for the future once again, there is nothing worse than mediocrity and 6-10, 7-9, 8-8 etc is just enough wins to keep us locked in the below-average bracket for another 10 years.

If they had bloody tanked properly when they jettisoned all the old players 3 seasons back we would be coming into year 3 with a decent looking mainly homegrown players (well, we would be if we could actually draft) but we can't even lose properly and win games when we shouldn't.

The shit show is set to continue for this season it seems.

As for trading him, who would want him right now?

I actually haven't given up on him yet but I am becoming very worried.

Leicester Jet and TheJetLife like this.
  12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The reason we are so bad is none of our high draft picks become long term solutions. So yet another high draft pick is going to solve that?

Acting like not losing properly is the reason we are so bad is the most Jetsy thing on this board. "We don't lose enough to be a good team". Ya right.

We suck because our ownership sucks and all the 1-15 seasons in the world isn't going to change that.

If I thought losing would get Gase fired before the end of the season I'd be tempted to see an upside. But ownership has made it clear that isn't going to happen. Lets just play to win. If/when we are 1-8 then it might become a viable topic.

#32 ouchy, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  13. NCJetsfan

It wouldn't be the end of the world, and would be a nice problem unless or until we couldn't re-sign an elite Edge or WR (if we ever get one), or wound up having to cut other players in order to pay both of them. Who knows, however, we might not ever draft an elite WR or Edge, either. At least we wouldn't have to worry about outside rushers getting to Sam, and would have the opportunity to have a good rushing attack to the outside.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Good organizations find ways to make things like that work. Granted, we're talking about the Jets here who are a far cry from a good organization.

Once you start winning, guys are more likely to take paycuts or restructure deals to clear cap space to allow us to get someone that may be the missing piece. However, we're quite a ways off from any of that sort of talk, so I'd be perfectly content with stud OT's that can protect Sam/Trevor/whoever else the Jets may have behind center and dealing with all the other stuff when we get to it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. K'OB

Ya Right? Well doing what we are doing currently is helping us be successful how?

I never quite said we are not losing properly but the way the NFL works makes losing for a spell the best plan if and only if you draft properly, now obviously we are not but we can hope that JD can be that person.
    No argument about the owners but what are we to do? Turn our backs until they have gone? We will be waiting a long time for that.
    and finally...

The scary thing is, they are playing to win. :(

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I talk about what I think Douglas is doing based on what I see, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want Darnold to succeed. Darnold turning into the guy we need him to be accelerates the process towards becoming a playoff team. I’m all for that.

If I’m ridiculous for thinking that the Jets didn’t go all in on this season than so be it.

The Dark Knight and NYJetsO12 like this.
  17. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

when guys restructure it pus money in their hands sooner rather than later. No player loses out on a restructure. They dont do it for the good of the team

18. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I'm always curious how fans think a tank actually works. In a sense, this season has always been a tank (hoarding cap space, etc.), but once the actual games get underway, there is no decision to lose games on purpose. It simply doesn't happen.

MAYBE late in the year there will be an agreement between management and the coaching staff to rest "injured" players that aren't really hurt, because wins can only hurt, and it gives the team a chance to look at younger players. But even in that case, once the coin is tossed, everyone on the field is trying to win.

The sad part is that we have to have this conversation every year because we're always looking at the draft instead of the post-season.

johnny and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Definitely. It's kill or be killed. You can't go half speed in an NFL football game or you're going to have a blown out knee or a wicked concussion. The lifespan of an NFL player is also too short and without guaranteed contracts players must always perform.

papapump and CotcheryFan like this.
  20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

This is why I believe that teams who pick in the top 5 are just bad. They don't need to rest their best players to lose games.