Ya'll Ready For Another Tank Season?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Sep 17, 2020.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Look like it's setting up for one. Banged up, players. QB playing like crap, another horrible coach set up to accomplish this mission. Time to get the team ready for the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes and to sync up with a shiny new head coach. Yes, after game ONE we are having this discussion.

2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

If only we had done it properly from the end of the Fitz/Marshall/Decker decent season, we could have been sitting pretty but no we are still in utter clart

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

They'll win enough games so they can drop down just enough in the draft to draft another useless DT.

4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This is terrifying but likely true given how many times we've done this the last few seasons.

JeTsInTexas and Noam like this.
  5. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Let’s just do this the right way and tank for Trevor or trade for a Kings ransom

boozer32 likes this.
  6. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Sadly I'm thinking we win at least a few and keep us out of 1. I can see wins against:

-1 Phins
    -Chargers
    -Colts
    -Browns

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Pretty much every Jets season is a tank season. We're probably 2-3 years, minimum, from being potentially able to look forward to something other than a tank season.

8. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Surprised anyone is surprised by this. Look at the roster and staff. This is the shittiest team in the league by a mile.

9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I learned a new word today.

Thank you.

JeTsInTexas, K'OB and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I think he’ll want the 2021 team to show us where the bus is headed. I don’t expect a playoff team, but I do expect to see a team that has an identity and that competes week in, week out.

It will be year 2 for this rookie class, with a new rookie class to complement it. We could have a new head coach, a new starting QB, and a couple top tier free agents on the roster as well.

I think his aim is Playoffs/Division in 2022, and so long as he hits on most of his draft picks (and replaces Gace) I can see that being a reality.

Footballgod214 and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Every season is a tank season.

12. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

They'll never tell us. But Douglas knew this was a tank season. We've had 10 years of awful drafting. Mainly on defense especially at dline (because that is where football is going). Idzik was awful Gave us 0 players. Macagnan drafted some good first rounders but after that it was trash and the first rounders he drafted didn't fit use because he had no clue how to fit it into a system.

Ownership is awful They keep picking the wrong people to lead this team. Rex had one year too many. Idzik was bad and given a bad marriage with Rex. Mac was awful and given Bowles. Bowels wasn't good or bad but he wasn't given the proper players to succeed. Then they hire Gase. A retread who failed with the Dolphins and has failed and gotten beaten many times by better head coaches. Dougals jury still out. I think he knows what he's doing. Time will tell. He's stuck with an awful head coach and inherited such a bad team he can't do much with one draft and offseason. I think he's waiting for March 2021 and the draft to really put his stamp on this team. Hopefully he does that in January with the right coaching hire. This time next year we'll be able to decide on Douglas. Unfortunately we are stuck with these owners and I don't trust them making the right decisions. Time will tell.

rammagen and Jets_Grinch like this.
  13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Me too!

Jets81 likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the new word!

16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I would be happy to be miss on Trevor and win the Penei Sewell or Jamar Chase sweepstakes. Sewell at LT and Bechton at RT would be the foundation of a good offensive team for 10+ years.

Brook!, Jets81, Big Cat and 3 others like this.
  17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

This is my dream scenario. Jets do bad enough this year to get the 2nd-4th pick but Sam turns it around and shows he's our FQB.

Could you even imagine Sam having a guy like Chase to throw to? Or having Sewell and Becton protecting the pocket for Sam? Talk about cornerstone pieces for a really good offense.

18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

the jets can't even tank the right way.

REVISion likes this.
  19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I've felt that picking that high next year and Sam showing enough to show that he's the answer are mutually exclusive. Can you change my mind? Serious question, BTW.

20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Unfortunately, I don't think that I can. I definitely agree with you that if the Jets are picking in the top 5 next off-season, it's most likely because Sam continues to play as badly as he did in Week 1.

However, I do think it's possible that just because of the sheer lack of talent currently on the team that Sam could be solid/good and we still end up in the top 5. Last year, Phillip Rivers threw for 4615 yards and had 23 TD's and the Chargers still finished 5-11. Kyler Murray threw for 3722 and 20 TD's, and the Cardinals finished 5-10-1. If Sam can have those type of numbers and cut down on the turnovers (thinking single digits), I would be totally ok with keeping him around for the duration of his contract. Then get him a quality HC for next season, give him some help through FA, and finally give him a guy like Chase to throw to or Sewell to protect his blindside. I feel like that would be the first time he would have anything resembling a legitimate offense since he's entered the league.

CotcheryFan likes this.