Injuries

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rscherwin, Sep 17, 2020.

1. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

I can handle this team sucking. Macagnan and Idzik drafts left us a multi year rebuild.

I can even deal with another year of Gase, assuming he doesn't ruin Darnold's confidence (which is currently terrifying me)

I CAN NOT handle this team ignoring the need for personal trainers. Or stretching. What is up with all these hamstring and groin injuries since Gase took over. I get that he never even played college football, but you need to take care of your players bodies.

After last year's injury mess, you think we'd learn.

Mims, Bell, Crowder, Williamson ... all hamstrings.

Inexcusable.

2. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

That’s what I said. I think he overworkes them with contact it seems.

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

every team is banged up. thanks to covid and no preseason.

4. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

You never played sports if you think soft tissue injuries like hamstrings, groins and calf pulls are because of "contact."

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

They're bad, but they're happening all over the league. There were around 50 players last week in the NFL with hamstring pulls/injuries. Based on an article I read, if the author is correct, it is a product of having no mini-camps, no OTAs, a weird TC, and no preseason games. Everything was rushed. Most likely time that players would have spent stretching have been spent working out or learning the offense/defense, and trying to rush to get into football shape.

LAJet likes this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

We had a ton of injuries last year too.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah seriously. I don't really know what the answer is. It seems like something wrong with the system in some way because it's running through the entire team. But these are muscle pulls not knee hyper extensions, or AC joint sprains in shoulders or something.

8. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

It's insane to blame it on Gase..... But we've reached the insanity level. We didn't have issues like this until he got here.

9. Jedi mind tricks

:eek: NO WAY :eek:

10. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Since the Jets have zero depth, any injury to their roster will be overly-magnified.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  11. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Hammy injuries one injury that can be pretty much avoided, this as probl m last yr, we fired the trainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Sack exchange

Why not blame Gase, actually the staff works for him.

13. Sack exchange

I am sure some truth to this, but some protocols could help avoid, like stretching and getting warm before going all out. But I am sure COVID changed the norm...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Jedi mind tricks

I couldn't get a clear answer on this... I know the new rule is 3 games so is everyone who started the season on the Jets IR returning to the team after this next game?

#14 Jedi mind tricks, Sep 22, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  15. Not contact per se but certainly risk can increase w full speed or live reps esp in team period as compared to more scripted or half speed drills.

Alot of drills & scripted stuff becomes muscle memory from a movement perspective. But When its live team or more open ended activities, movement be it cuts/changing direction/bending/twisting/turning are less predictable & therefore higher risk for soft tissue injuries.

16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

It's not Gases fault but these problems have followed him wherever he goes. He's just unlucky as hell and it's now at our expense. His starting QB always misses time too it's nuts.

I can't remember if we had bad injury problems under Bowles as that whole era is just a blur of losing but I don't think it was this bad.

17. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Read somewhere that Gase demoted the long time head of strength and conditioning last season and it was apparently an unpopular move.

18. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Under Bowles I think we had one of the better injury records in the league, at least in terms of serious time-missing injuries rather than being banged up. The senior S&C guy was demoted/made a consultant during the off-season and his assistant promoted. I think the hamstring things are largely a consequence of the off season restrictions. You can stretch all you want in warm ups, but once you go full speed and push your body to the limits it is possible to get soft tissue injuries. Going from limited action to full speed without a middle phase that builds it up gradually is bound to increase the chances of developing an injury.

There's no doubt that injuries have followed Gase around though. Here and in Miami. Bad luck or poor preparation? Most likely a bit of both, but there is so much evidence now that it is looking less and less likely to be purely coincidence.

19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Another sad moment in Jets history that will be forever burned into my memory.