The good part of week 1, 2020 for the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Sep 15, 2020.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Then Douglas needs to be fired too.

barfolomew and rammagen like this.
  2. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Agreeing with you, but if Gase is fired it will not be until after this season. Johnson is still paying millions to Bowles and MacIdiot in 2020 due to stupid 2017 extension he forked out. Johnson does not want to have THREE head coaches on his payroll THIS year (plus MacCagnan), which he will have to if they fire Gase before the end of 2020.

3. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

he does not have bowles on the payroll after this yr and not even the full amount. The bucs are paying part of it.

barfolomew likes this.
  4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I never said Johnson has Bowles on his payroll AFTER this year. I said 2020, which is THIS year.

As to your claim that the Bowles' extension with jets in 2017 contain offset language (allowing the jets to be off the hook for all/part of his contract), that is the first I heard of it. Sounds unusual that a team would sign a coach (Bowles) to a contract extension (normally a show of confidence), but include language that if we fire him within 3 years and another team hires him, we can get out of paying. That would NOT show much confidence in your coach who you supposedly just endorsed. But stranger things have happened, I suppose.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  5. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

We are back where we were a few seasons ago. Lots of depth players and few starters. Were a team full of back up players with some fringe starters and 3-4 legit starters. I do believe it was planned this way. Next season we are top 1-2 in cap space. 13 teams will be over the cap, at least 2 teams The Eagles and Saints will have to release or trade their top talent to try and get below the cap. Saints will be around $71 million over the cap and have been renegotiating and back loading contracts for a few years now as have the Eagles who are even further over the cap. FA salaries will be down. Hopefully between the current 5 picks in the top 100 and what ever additional picks are added and potentially the best FA class due to cap restraints, we should see a completely different roster. Hopefully......

6. TonyFtLaud

Bowles like most NFL coaches had off set language in his contract, likely in his original deal that carried over to his extension.

7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Guards can be found in free agency and the middle rounds. Clark might be one of them when he's good to go. Fant played well at RT. And what's a closer? I've only heard of that term in baseball.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

Will have to overpay I guess as nobody will want to play for a scrub outfit like the Jets

9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

It's funny how EVERYONE (except TGG) has high praise for Gase. Our owner seems to love him. Players love him, even former players. Other coaches talk very highly of him.

tomdeb likes this.
  10. TonyFtLaud

Any position can be found in Free Agency or the Draft, until we do so, we have a sever severe deficiency at those positions.
    Fant sucked, he was constantly being pushed back into the pocket, several times directly into Darnold. When your RT is standing on the left side of the pile and your QB is on the bottom of that pile, it's a problem. Fant graded out at 51 for his pass protection. You have low expectations if that's your definition of playing well.
    Closer comparative of (`near' or `close') within a shorter distance ....adverb.

11. TonyFtLaud

I believe next off season will be different. Not many buyers and no Maccagnan bidding against himself.

Centiment, tomdeb and Jets81 like this.
  12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

What I meant was that some positions are easier to find in the middle rounds than others and guards are one of them. Seemed like the interior was where the protection was bad and the tackles held their own. I'll have to watch again. I got confused when you said closer because you wrote your instead of you're.

13. rammagen

So in the NFL if they fire a coach and he is hired into another position part of the salary the new team is paying is like an offset on the original contract so it is deducted, plus it expires after this yr he was signed thru 2020 when I looked it up. There could also be a clause if fired he gets paid x amount and the rest of the contract is voided. So it depends on the wording. Even if they paid him off The bucs are offsetting part of that payment or there was a clause to pay him x amount.
    Either way he is off the books completely at the end of this season if they are paying him for the yr or even a portion of that

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. rammagen

except this board, have you seen any posts here? where Woody and Keyshawn bash him? High praise for gase from outside the owner has been sparing this week at best

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Lol no.

16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

This is our saving grace. So many teams are fucked by the cap next offseason and we’ll be in great shape (or so it would seem).

NCJetsfan and TonyFtLaud like this.
  17. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

It was bad enough with a whole month of breast cancer awareness. Now this political awareness is much worse. What about a month of awareness for other killer diseases like prostate cancer, lung disease, alzheimer, strokes, diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure. Maybe the NFL will have awareness for global warming, poverty and other things too. Let the NFL become more and more about other things than football.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/12/13/n...th-october-becomes-all-cancer-awareness-month
    Since 2009, the NFL has dressed up its fields, sidelines and players in pink every October to raise awareness and funds for breast cancer screenings and education in conjunction with the American Cancer Society. Teams were told last week in a league-wide conference call that each club will choose its own cancer cause to support during a three-week window next October.

18. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

Kudos to you if you can watch it again lol

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I did not know that about the cap. Good information. Unfortunately spending hasn't been an issue. Obviously we've spent it wrong but winning teams don't build through free agency unless it's a short term winner. I'd be up for adding a guard, receiver and an edge rusher though.

20. rammagen

Here is the one thing Tony failed to mention we did this under Idzick and were still bad, 2 yrs ago under Mac and we know the story there as well. Money is good to have but you have to know when to spend the resource to fill a whole now not next yr or the yr after. I have said this before the team has a responsibility to the fans that support to fiedl the best team possible every yr.
    I know this is a multi yr process but if you signed Clowney for 12 to 15 million you solved one hole go into next yr with cap space and one less hole to fill. All of sudden you have a team because you spread the costs over a 2 yrs and filled some holes with drafting and signing players, it will also take a less amount of time time jell because you are not adding a slew of new players at one time but over 2 yrs.