"I Can't Believe the Jets Just Got Joe Douglas"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Aug 3, 2020.

1. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Ah, it didn't come across like that to me.

2. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

I’m content so far and hopeful too, but his draft picks have yet to even step on the field....we should all calm down a bit.

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I think it has been pretty much repeated ad nauseum on here that there is still much to prove.

That is very different than the views of many other NFL executives and his moves thus far. Majority on here understand there is a lot he still needs to prove.

4. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

I thought Metha was the best choice. I guess we will have to live with Joe Douglas.

5. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

The last time I felt this good was when we hired Parcells. The only bad feeling I have is Gase. If he doesn't produce this year then it will be up to
    JD to find us a new HC. Then it will be "totally JD'S team. I am not wishing for Gase to fail, but he is the weakest link in the chain. This team will be very desirable for a HC if we give Gase the boot. A young QB, lots of cap space, 4 first round picks in the next 2 years, & JD at the helm. IN JOE I TRUST! He has done more to rebuild this team in 1 year than Mac did in 4 years.

6. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I'm no expert on spotting football talent, but at least Douglas' draft picks don't leave you scratching your head and wondering: "What was he thinking?"

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I think he might turn out to be the best we ever had and my gut says his picks will only reinforce that. Time will tell, we all agree on that. But, lets be fair. In his short tenure here he has made some tremendous moves, including trades, free agents, contract awards, getting rid of players that do not fit the long term plan and the like. He has navigated this ship thru a shit storm left by the predecessor and so far we look much more poised for growth and success. He knows talent and he does not get duped by GMs. Giving him zero kudos so far because we have to wait for the draft picks as the only yard stick is a bit much. So far, he gets an A plus from me. A winning team begins with a great leader...and he is that in spades.,

Brook!, NCJetsfan and dmw like this.
  8. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

He's done more in 1 year than Mac did in 4, & it's not even close. This team has a direction & JD has a plan. In 2 years after a few good drafts, & a new HC this team will be a team to be reckoned with. You can see the pieces falling in place at key positions, LT (O.L), WR, QB, next year I expect to Draft a CB1 & maybe a edge rusher. We will have plenty of picks to really upgrade the roster & get even younger. 2 -#1's, 1-#2, 2-#3's, 1-#4, 2-#5, 1-#6, 1-#7. That's a lot of ammo, not to mention 2-#1's in '22 draft. Things are looking up and it's all due to JD. This team has a plan & direction for the future.

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think Gase is the Coach he wants, but I agree with you, it has been a great year. You bring up a good point with the 2 1st Round picks in 2021. Many assume he will continue to upgrade the offense for Sam, but CB and pass rusher can't be ignored. He will have cap space to sign a few players too though, so maybe he fills some holes that way. They definitely have a plan and a direction and that is refreshing and wonderful to see!

dmw and barfolomew like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think it's premature to say how the 4 - 1st round draft picks will be used over the next two years, especially projecting both to be used on D. I don't think that would happen. He knows that a lot of our 1st round picks over the last 10-15 years have been used on D, and that it's an offensive league. If I had to say right now what I think he will do, I'd guess that he will balance things and use a 1st round pick on each unit, but I also think he'd be more likely to use both on offensive players than he would on defensive players. The offense is still pretty far behind the defense. Ultimately, I believe it all depends upon JD's plan, what positions he has prioritized, and how some of our FAs and young players pan out.

I think Sam will be our FQB going forward, but if he has a bad year, it's not out of the question that JD might think he needs to find a new QB of the future.

How will RT work out? Will Fant be solid? If not, will Edoga show that he can handle RT? If neither of the show this season that they are the answer, and Clark truly does project as an OG in the NFL, then JD could use one of those 4 - 1st round picks on a new RT.

We definitely need another WR, and if Mims doesn't project to be a #1 WR type, JD could easily use one of the 4 on a WR, and the point could be made easily that one of those 4 picks should definitely be used on a WR.

With regards to Edge and the pass rush, it could depend upon how Q. Williams plays this season. If he becomes a force on the inside and some combination of Jenkins, Basham, Zuniga, and Huff can provide adquate pressure from the outside, JD could decide that Edge can wait a year or two.

With regard to CB a number of things could happen. Desir could have a great season and JD decide to bring him back for another year or two as the #1 CB. Bryce Hall, Bless Austin, or Quincy Wilson could prove to be a reliable #2 CB, and along with Poole might be good enough, that JD decides to wait a year or two to address the #1 CB spot.

Would JD use a 1st round pick on an OG? I think he possibly would, so if there's a great OG prospect and Lewis or Van Roten look shaky, JD could use one of those 4 picks on an OG.

With Avery Williamson a FA after this season, and Mosley's wimping out on the team this season, if there's an ILB that's anywhere close to Isaiah Simmons in talent, one of those 4 picks could even be used on him.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Outside of James Morgan, you're right. And that's how low the bar is...

That being said there's no doubt in my mind Joe Douglas is the right guy. He's been praised for years leading up to him taking the job with us and even if he wasn't, the list of mentors speaks for itself.

12. amuck57

amuck57 Active Member

for the first time in a long time i am very optimistic

13. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Just like we finally went OL first round after ignoring it forever, I think it’s almost a requirement to go after an edge rusher with one of the two 1st rounders in 2021. Even if the talent might not be good, we could grab the best of a weak class with our later pick. We don’t need the next Miles Garrett but just someone who can consistently drive 8-10 sacks and a lot of pressures off the edge which should help our interior guys as well.

For offense it depends. I’d rather grab another tackle to give Darnold great bookends on the line, but I’d be fine going for a great receiver as well. It depends on the depth of talent in each position. I still don’t think we’re good enough at OL to prioritize other positions over it and often good receivers can be found on day 2.

14. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

the moment the Jets get the NFL's best young executive a deadly plague hits and the world ends

15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

It's obviously too early to judge JD, but you'd have to be insane if you aren't impressed with what he's done so far. he rebuilt the o-line in 1 offseason, filled the team with young talent. made cap room. got rid of a headache for a ton of future picks and a solid replacement. Even with the cap uncertainty the jets aren't in bad shape and have a ton of flexibility going forward.

16. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Agree but after this week only 2 players have made an impact. OT, P.
    Everyone was looking questionable at best and the rest didn't even play.

Grace period? Sure, but it's time for some results to start poppin soon.

AndyDrums likes this.
  17. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Meh. Anyone can draft players, put them on IR, and say "they all made the team". The fact that he pulled a MacCagnan and left the team bereft of speed and talent on offense is cause for concern. Even his prize LT is now injured.

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he had 1 offseason and 1 draft really. the fact becton graded out as the top rookie o-lineman and top 5 rookie overall in his 1st game with no preseason is pretty impressive. looks like he got us our LT of the future. mcgovern and lewis also graded out well. the right side of the line is the issue. of course gase keeps running right when we should be running left. we have 4 1st rounder the next 2 years plus an extra 3rd this year. thats 9 picks in the top 3 rounds over the next 2 years and we have plenty of cap. give JD another couple years to fix the roster

Royal Tee, apjbfc, Brook! and 4 others like this.
  19. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

He drafted the highest graded rookie o-lineman in his first game.

Our offensive line as a whole performed way better than last year in the first game.

And we currently have 10 draft picks next season including two first rounders, a second, and two third rounders.

There's much more to what he has done than you claim

Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If Joe pulled a Maccagnan, he would've taken Derrick Brown at 11 because he was too good to pass up.

Brook!, KY Jets Fan and NCJetsfan like this.