How Did Our Shiny New Left Tackle Look?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

3. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

barfolomew likes this.
  4. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I think we'll probably see some more injuries, not just on the Jets but across the league. Not having a traditional offseason to get ready plus not having any preseason games is probably going to cause an uptick in the number of injuries this year, especially in the first few weeks of the season.

barfolomew likes this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

This Team is decimated already and SF up next..we probable will be a 14 pt underdog

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If they hadn't lost to the Cardinals, I'll bet it would have been more!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I think it may also have been the projection that he might struggle to transition to LT in the NFL as I believe most of his college experience was RT. I could understand the low floor on that basis, however if that had been the case I would have expected him to project as an elite RT instead, which I wouldn't call a low floor personally but the perception of the relative value of the two positions might cause some to.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

I could be mistaken, but am pretty certain that he played LT both years at Louisville, and was a LT in high school as well.

9. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I think he was only on the left for his final year, which I don't suspect is that unusual, however pre-draft I recall a consensus in opinion that he was a bit raw and may not immediately play LT in the pros. But then there were so many tackles in play I could be getting it wrong and confusing him with someone else. Fortunately he looks to have immediately settled in on the blind side, which is the main thing.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Per his scouting reports:

Becton was the starting LT for his highscool team for three years. Louisville, Freshman: started 10 and played in 12 games (doesn't state position); Sophomore: Started 13 games, switched between LT and RT constantly (even on the same drive) "A part of a scheme that forced him to switch sides based on the strength and direction of play calls"; Junior: Started all 13 games at LT, 1st-team All-ACC.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

He projected a lot better to right tackle because that's usually where you put your big boys that can run block a little better. Bigger (slower) defensive ends usually play on that side.

He played left tackle at Louisville and I believe there was a report early in camp that he just wasn't comfortable playing on the right side. It's completely opposite footwork in terms of pass sets, and coaches usually suggest if you're on the right side you put your right arm down in the 3-point stance, left arm on the left side. The kick leg is different as is the plant leg. And really I think the plant leg is more important since it's how you're protecting the inside which is the most dangerous for a blocker/quarterback.

It'd be so awesome if the dude can play on the left side his whole career.

12. Last season He flipped between Left & Right Tackle bc Louisville used “strongside/weakside” system upfront. So his side would vary depending on formation.If hes comfortable at LT should keep him there

Not gonna lie..come next April if other needs incl WR can be addressed in FA/trade/later in RD 1 & we are out on TL, Pairing Becton w Penai Sewell from Oregon would set this team up for a long time & would have a chance to be the best OT pairing since Boselli/Searcy.

Sewell is 6”6 325 but moves like a Tight end & has a very powerful punch.Elite psss protector & his reach block ability is scary.He can play either Tackle spot but RT might be more natural for him given its what he played in HS. Perhaps than Fant could kick inside & we upgrade 2 spots.

Noam, NCJetsfan, Jets81 and 2 others like this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

He is a really impressive talent. We'll have to be picking in the top 3-4 to get him though which will be really sad.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  14. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I didn’t see if someone already mentioned but Brian Baldinger was raving about Becton for a 5 minute Baldy’s Breakdown on him.

Quinnenthebeast and Noam like this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he was a huge stud. top 5 graded rookie and top graded rookie on offense per PFF. he was pretty shutdown in the pass game and in the run game he was mauling people. I seen him throw down d-lineman a couple of times too

16. NCJetsfan

17. NCJetsfan

18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I am very happy to be 1000% wrong on Becton and for it to happen right off the bat. But it’s fucking astonishing that we have a franchise QB and franchise LT yet we are leaps and bounds worse this year than we have been at any point since we drafted the QB. And yes, he’s a franchise QB. Give Sam any kind of competent coaching and he’s a top half QB right now.

20. Extremely small sample size..not juming the gun by any stretch.But this is Larry Allen type stuff. Being this devastating of a run blocker & being just as dominant as a pass blocker.Its scary.

Jets have a good Mt rushmore of OTs in its history. Hill.Powell.Elliott.Ferguson.Ward.Fabini. This guy has a chance to leave everyone of them in the dust.