Why Rock Bottom Needs to Happen

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Sep 14, 2020.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Fixed for you. :mad::mad::mad:

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You've forgotten a lot. Yes, we had some talent, but we also had a bad Boomer Esiason, Bubby Brister, Neil O'Dummy and Glenn Foley at QB, and it was like the Butt fumble every week. I have never been so humiliated and embarrassed to be a Jets fan. They found a different stupid way to lose each week. I can still see the botched hand off or lateral from Brister (I believe) that Sam Mills intercepted and ran back for a TD and the expansion Panthers beat us for their 1st victory ever. Kotite would leave practice early, they didn't work hard in practice and it was a total clusterfuck.

3. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Going back even further the 2nd year of existence Seattle Seahawks shut out the Jets 17-0. Luckily the year before that they beat the expansion Bucs among their 3 wins to avoid complete futility.

4. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Rock bottom to me was sucking for 10 years, PLUS those ridiculous black uniforms.

NCJetsfan, Jets81 and Ralebird like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

The Giants and Bengals for starters. There may be more. The Browns have talent, but their owners could start meddling again any time.

6. NCJetsfan

Not with Gase as HC, but with a new HC, things could improve quickly. If Becton, Davis, Mims, Perine, and Mann all develop and play as expected, along with Sam, Maye, potentially Herndon, Austin, and Folukasi, and possibly a few others, we will have our core. If Douglas adds a couple of quality WRs, a quality Edge, improves depth next year, and we have a competent HC, the team should be competitive, if not pretty good. Add in another good offseason in 2022, and the team should be ready to start making some noise. If I didn't believe that, I wouldn't be here now.

ouchy and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. Funny,cause IDK why im here anymore.Have ZERO confidence moving fwd.Dont be shocked when we’re right back to drafting defense & ignoring skill next offseason.Thats what this team does.Ive seem absolutely NOTHING to indicate JD will be any different.

REVISion likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

I'm sorry that you've lost your hope and optimism, my friend! Normally, you would never make a statement like the bold based on one offseason. You yourself said Becton was the right pick with our 1st round pick. He took Mims in the 2nd after trading down and adding additional draft capital. Normally, you would applaud such a move. Where was he going to get the Edge? Ngakoue? I liked him and wanted him, but he would have eaten up a ton of cap space. IMO Douglas is trying to build the team responsibly, through the draft, and not make big, splashy, big contract signings in FA or via trades. The Jets have gotten burned on those more often than not. You yourself have said that isn't the right way to build a team.

If he doesn't value WR or Edge, why did he sign Perriman and draft Mims and Zuniga? Why did he re-sign Jenkins? Who else could he have signed in FA or traded for? One offseason is not enough evidence to state anything unequivocally. You know that. If he doesn't address the WR and Edge positions in a significant fashion next offseason, then a whole bunch of us will join you and be unhappy with Douglas.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

I think you're still here because, underneath your disappointment and frustration, you know that it's too early to give up on Douglas and the team. I think you're still here because you want to be here. You don't want to give up hope for the team you love. I get that. Hang in there. I've been where you are and I got through that dark time. I think I know you at least well enough to believe that your optimism will return as Douglas continues making good moves and addresses WR, Edge and the other skill positions. Once Gase and the last vestiges of Mac's bad trades, bad FA signings and bad draft picks are gone, things will look very different once it's Douglas' team. Hang in there.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  10. Ill even throw aside edge although I wouldve pounced on Yannick & wouldve at least TALKED to Clowney,doesnt seem Jets had interest at all.Young talented edges dont become available often;Part of the reason we still dont have one after all these years.

I cant excuse the WR position. Helping Darnold had to be far & away priority #1 in this past offseason. That doesnt stop w OL. He could legitimately be ruined by lack of weapons the SAME Way Sanchez was. It also makes the evaluation of Sam that much more difficult moving fwd bc the surrounding cast is pure crap & have no idea what he could be w legit playmakers around him.

JD was content to let Sam waste away w the garbage we see on that WR depth chart.It was a WR rich draft,he chose to only draft 1 guy. Other positions, many not even on offense took precedent.YES the team has other needs, but WR needed the same TLC that OL got this past offseason.All we got was 1 draft pick & a band aid on a 1 yr deal.Other teams LAUGH at this WR group. How are we honestly ok w Sam having these weapons in YEAR 3? Even if the mid round WRs in this past draft werent big names or immediate impact,at least theyd be guys for Sam to grow w.Give some sort of long term vision.This is Mims,Crowder & a 7-11 store brand band Aid. Totally unacceptable.Whats stopping them from ignoring next april too? They already let it happen for this yr.

11. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Agree Kurt. This was outright neglect. As I said in another thread, for some reason this fanbase is in love with the concept of squirreling away draft picks and cap space. You can make moves and still have sufficient cap space and draft capital for the future. These two things aren't mutually exclusive. Instead it's always "That guy is this, and glad we traded this guy cause he was that." Well if you want a team full of cheap, nice angels have at it. We could have:

- resigned Robby who Sam had a comfort level with and chemistry. That right now is probably the most important thing to assess this QB
    - resigned Jamal. Best player on the team, 25 years old, All Pro and brought an energy level every week that was unmatched
    - either traded for Yanick or at least made a hard attempt at Clowney. Pass rushers don't grow on trees so when you see one, you go for it.

Those 3 signings alone with everything else done in the offseason makes this team a COMPLETELY different team. People love to look at each move in a vacuum and say things like "We wouldn't have won if Jamal was there in Sunday." It's the totality of the hand sitting and storing away draft picks (that we will probably blow anyway) and cash that dooms us today.

We finally get two home grown talents that WE discovered/picked in Robbie and Jamal and they are gone. So if thats the case and nobody wants to spend money on any free agents like Clowney, then what the f*ck is the cap space for?

Right now - go out, call the Bears and make a damn trade for Robinson and give Sam a chance in hell or at least a chance to assess if he's worth a damn.

12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I pretty much agree with all of this.

But I agree with the others that we should have gone after either Yannick or Clowney. These are pro bowl edge players and we had the money.

NCJetsfan and matt robinson 17 like this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They like the idea of it because the franchises that do it have sustained success for a decade+. Think Ravens, Steelers, Patriots, Saints, Packers and the Seahawks (until the last couple years). They are never major players for big contracts.

Fans want to see a different approach. We've seen the effects of mortgaging your future for the short term (2008-2011) and how it set us up to have a losing franchise for the next four years. We then watched the team go through two massive offseason spending sprees in 2015 and 2019 that set the team back another two years each.

So while I agree to an extent with your sentiment, there's a reason for it.

Looking back at it, we should've ponied up some more cash and added 1-2 more players. Looking at it, I wish we kept Robby Anderson and signed another interior offensive lineman. The interior offensive line lost that game against the Bills last week as much as any other element did.

#53 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

This Good Thing that had to happen was 3 Rock Bottoms ago..lol

The moron owner has faith in his moronic choices ...otherwise his decisions would be what we all know>>>bad bad and bad

The Johnsons Con game continues...they all "know better than us" sounds like Fearless leader friend

Sorry but Jet fans unlike our Veterans, the real losers and suckers

15. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Christopher Johnson doesnt seem to care about wins and loses...I honestly have no clue as to what he cares about because it isnt winning football games.He seems to have developed some type of personal relationship with Gase which isnt good for us.He called Gase "A Brilliant Offensive Mind" the other day...Theres no stats that support that nonsense that doesnt involve Peyton Manning.This guy became a millionare because he was Mannings OC for a few seasons.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  16. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Here's my take, if I was a betting man:

When Gase was hired, he sold CJ on a very clear expectation that this would take a certain amount of years to get right. My guess it was 3-5 based on his contract and rhetoric. He probably did a sales job on CJ with this 3-5 year plan and set the expectation that there was going to be some turbulence in the mean time.

Gase may be a terrible football coach, but he's clearly a great salesman being able to find as many jobs and promotions as he's gotten is not easy. Good sales people set expectations to hedge their verbal commitments.

Essentially guaranteeing himself at least 2-3 years of employment potentially--

This could never be proven of course, but CJ's rhetoric casts light on the conversations they might have had.

17. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I think you're looking far too deep into this when it is very simple, a billionaire family likely does not like publicy admitting a mistake or a mess up.

You honestly think a Johnson family member will come out and say that they were wrong or that they hired the wrong guy? Even if that is in a subtle way? Woody Johnson is a part of Trump's administration. I think telling the truth and admitting fault is the last thing they know how to do

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Just stop with the talent-less team with a big eyed zombie as HC. We are no were near rock bottom.

in 2018 we had the top Special Teams in all the country.

in2019 we had a top defense without any top DBs. In fact, our defense was so surprisingly good we were ranked #1 in several categories, like short yardage defense. We were a perfect 17-0 in stuffing short yarded runs, even critical runs on 4th down and goal line. We were the only defense to snuff ALL 17 attempts

in2019 our offense had an excuse for being graded 32. We had Sam, yes, and with some semi-success in WR Anderson. Griffin who filled in at TE did a great job and was given an extension. But we all know now our offense was doomed from the beginning with the horrid, last place O-line. Yes, we got Bell, who no openings to choose and dance through. We had a 2nd yr QB trying to learn a new, very complicated offense with less than 1 second per throw to scan the field, set protections, then try to find/hit the open WR. A Huge recipe for destruction.

in2020 we see phase one of rebuilding the line. Becton looks to be the real deal, and the toughest line positions to fill can be crossed off. Joe Douglas is not done. Not even close. He will use AT LEAST one of or top picks in 2021on another lineman, possibly our first overall. And maybe even one after that. He won't stop until Sam has the most dominant o-line in all of football. Sam will have the most time to throw and our RB will have the biggest holes to run through anywhere in the league. Joe already got us Mims, a top outside WR talent. He drafted Alstyn Davis, the best safety to come out. JD also just got us ANOTHER lineman and pass rusher further down in the draft.

I don't think JD is frustrated with Gase as we are. JD sees Gase up close every day. Gase runs a VERY complex offense that is difficult to learn. Gase doesn't run a 'simple' offense that the players love and can figure out quick with some early success. Why? Because the success is short lived. Defenses will be crushing it within 6 games, no matter how well the men run the plays. A complex offense that keeps the D guessing and can change/morph at the snap depending on what the D tries to do. These offenses take a few years to master, but when we do, are very difficulty to stop.

We are not rock bottom and don't need to be. We are young with new coaches and a new GM that will adding committed talented, young talent every year.

19. Vida

Vida Active Member

I don't think it will be a choice. I watched pretty much every game from week 1 (40 minute condensed versions of most games) and we were clearly the worst performed team. I would be surprised if we are not picking top 3 at the draft and really #1 overall is a chance

20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Agreed. There have been plenty of humiliating moments and individual seasons, but the current stretch of futility is by far the worst I’ve experienced in my 30 years as a fan.

matt robinson 17 likes this.