CJ Mosley opts out of 2020 season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 1, 2020.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You're right, some fans are just plain weird.

Some of them are like fluffers.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

If thats him, its very disappointing

barfolomew likes this.
  3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I didn’t read through this entire thread, but I’m curious as to whether he had some kind of existing condition that put him at higher risk?

I can understand opting out at that point. I know some runners who had COVID and their lung capacity is shot right now - even after recovery.

If he doesn’t, than yea, I’d say he opted out to eliminate injury risk in a lost season.

barfolomew likes this.
  4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I like CJ...can't get it out of my head how his single handedly CANCELLED then entire Bills offense last season opening day. CJ was a MONSTER (until he wasn't).

I kinda like that he took COVID2020 off, adding an additional year to his contract when we may actually be relevant. Getting out of paying CJ $17M during this non-football year was a godsend.

Can't wait till he's back and the NY fucking Jets are BAAAAACK!!!

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

All of this is true, but the complete ignorance regarding a random photo on a random Twitter with no facts to support it, is just par for the course.

Let's all shit on a guy because he got hurt and then opted out due to health concerns during a pandemic. It's so fuckin childish and disgusting to watch. Funny how before he opted out, this whole board was ecstatic at having him back and watching him run the defense. He opts out and now he's shit and should be traded.

6. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i am so happy to see that there is someone else who views it the way i do. glad you are mentioning it, while i have gotten berated for sticking up for players and calling people out on the way they act. i feel maybe, someone will say you know that guy is right i need to rethink the way i handle myself as a fan.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I mean he opted out and then went and did something to put himself at risk for the reason he opted out (without a mask or practicing social distancing).

He didn't opt out because he was worried about the virus. He opted out because it was a sound personal business decision and he got to get paid to take a year off from working while already have secured more money than the entire member base of this board makes together.

And then people applauded the decision as if it was noble. It's completely understandable why people are disappointed. If he was trying to be safe he wouldn't be in literally the most unsafe environment right now in the entire country.

#347 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We also made him the highest paid LB in the league.

You'd think after missing the bulk of his first season he'd want to make good on that deal this season.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. Falco21

That's an old photo. He had red dreadlocks which he has not had since his days in Baltimore.

There is ZERO proof to show that this photo was taken now. ZERO

I actually find it hilarious that you and others are immediately believing a random photo from a random poster claiming it was taken by "someone I knew" LOL

It's a bad look for you

#349 Falco21, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    Ralebird, alleycat9 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

If it's an old photo then it's an old photo and he's at least not putting himself in bad situations.

I still don't see it as some sort of noble act or anything. It was a business move which is what players seem to prioritize when they come here unfortunately.

11. Falco21

Who gives a fuck? Lol

He had the option to opt out, and he did. What the fuck does it matter?

Of course it was a business move. He didn't want to put himself at risk for a shitty year in a season surrounded by a pandemic. Instead, he sits at home and rests and recovers from his injury for an entire year. How could you blame him?

All this pity bullshit about how "he's not a team player" and "he doesn't deserve this money" is laughable. Get over it

Ralebird and alleycat9 like this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

He's not a team player. Everyone deserves the money someone is willing the pay them. But I'm sure some in the locker room think he's a schmuck, not just us.

94Abraham likes this.
  13. Falco21

Again, an argument based on nothing of fact. Now your argument is that players think he is a "schmuck" because he took his option of opting out during a pandemic.

Opting out of a season in a pandemic is now someone "not being a team player".

Again, ridiculous

Ralebird and alleycat9 like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

My guess is that some players think he's a schmuck. It wasn't presented as a fact. Football has a your with us or against us mentality in locker rooms at times.

I think some of these opt outs had a lot less to do with the virus and more the draw of a year of physical healing and hanging out while getting paid & having your salary preserved for the following year.

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Hey, if things can go smoothly like that in 2021, sign me up! :cool:

alleycat9 and Footballgod214 like this.
  16. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

do we know for a fact why he opted out?

you cant claim hes not a team player, you dont know him, dont know the team and dont know really anything about the actual situation. as was brought up he was given an option and took the option. he did nothing wrong. you dont know what anyone in the locker room thinks of him or his decision.

and the one thing that is verifiable in your post is that you think hes a schmuck.

i dont know why people feel the need to call others weak or pitiful or its a thing in our country at this point. dogging other people who work very very hard to do what they do. and for what end? to make yourself feel better? to feel like a better fan? what do you get out of that?

Falco21 likes this.
  17. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Johnson lackey Boomer Esiason agreed with you. He told screaming idiot Joe Beningo today that he think had Mosley and Darnold been healthy, “the jets would have done something last year”

Footballgod214 likes this.
  18. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

He opted out because he was given the option to do so and decided, for whatever reason, that he would take that option. What his motivations were are irrelevant. He doesn't have to have any besides I want to and we don't really need to know them. It could be financially motivated, it could be for health reasons, it could be because he thinks Gase is a prick, or he isn't 100% and doesn't want to risk reinjuring himself and shortening his career. It could even be because he thinks Woody is a racist. It could be many things. He has done nothing wrong, and frankly I have more respect for him saying no, which isn't always easy to do in a team sport environment, rather than going out there and dogging it or constantly mouthing off like other ex-Jets have done. He's a fine player and I hope he's back next year at 100% in a competitive Jets team.

alleycat9 and Falco21 like this.
  19. Falco21

Great post!

It's hilarious when people posting on an internet board are calling NFL athletes weak, selfish, and non team players.

I also find it hilarious how people who disagree with the response to this virus and claim no one should control their rights, turn around and call a guy out when he expresses his rights and decides to take an option he was given and rest this season. Ironic when it works against you.

It sucks to not have Mosley. I was very upset when I got the news that he opted out, but I respect his decision, no matter the reason for it. He had the option and he took it. He had every right to do so and I would have honestly thought about doing the same if I was in his shoes. Coming off a season ending injury with a shitty roster and a pandemic, taking a year off was probably the smart move.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It was definitely a smart move for him. He takes a vacation and he’s still got $17 million waiting for him next year.

Good for him, we aren’t allowed to criticize though?

ouchy and Jonathan_Vilma like this.