JD - time to get on the horn and trade for a WR

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Sep 15, 2020.

1. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

The Jets are going to be awful this year with or without a WR--we're going to want those high draft picks when it's over.

2. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Watched him at Penn State a real good player, we could really use him

BrowningNagle likes this.
  3. tubby

tubby Active Member

Robinson and it's not even close

papapump, NCJetsfan and rammagen like this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Couldn't disagree more. Rex's act was stale when the winning stopped and Tanny's drafts after 2007 were mostly terrible. The big mistake was starting the run of arranged marriages between HC and GM with Rex and Idzik.

5. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing :)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

I would settle for being competitive in games for start

barfolomew likes this.
  7. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

This doesn't make sense in my opinion. Darnold had open receivers against Buffalo and missed them. Trading for more expensive receivers will not make Darnold more accurate.

cval likes this.
  8. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

What I meant was - they should have gave mike t and Rex for One more year in 2013. One more year together. Then reboot instead of the Idzik/Rex tandem

9. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I have always been fan of Rex and Mike T. Lots of energy and passion. It’s not all good, but overall not bad at all. What we have had since, dysfunctional, no passion, and just plain boring and incompetent. At least. Watching those teams was at least fun for most part. I would take both back in quick minute as it stands. That said, even mike T’s drafts were not good at end of his tenure, but they don’t even rival what went on after he was gone. Idzik’s draft was one of the worst drafts ever! Mike M’s drafts were abysmal. Set us back for yrs and main reason we in the situation we are. You have good point about marriage of head coach and GM. I agree that has been a major reason of our lack of success, but the ownership has structure that both report to owner. HC needs to report to GM in my opinion. That said, JD and Gase heading to a divorce, even Gase got JD hired!!! Lol. Maybe he can then choose a head coach and see where that goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rammagen likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's a short-term approach. That has been done to death here, and has never worked except with Parcells. Douglas is doing things the right way. The way they should have always been done here. I get the impatience and desire to see a competitive team. I'm sick and tired of their being a laughingstock, but not so sick that I'm willing to try to take shortcuts that are counterproductive and not the right way to do things.

I'm sure that Douglas expects the team to be competitive this year based on his comments. He believes in the players (at least publically). He knows that there are no more 5-year rebuilds in the NFL any more. This team should be competitive. If it isn't, it's because of Gase. Yes, there are still holes, lack of depth, and our skill position players are below average. Still, with good schemes adopted to the players' abilities, playing smart, tough football, not beating themselves, and playing as a team, they should be competitive. They won't be completely competitive (i.e., ready to challenge for the Lombardi Trophy) until the talent level is upgraded and most of the holes are filled, and we have a competent HC. That's probably going to take another year or two, but with good coaching, there is enough talent that the team should show up prepared, ready to play, and give their opponents a dogfight each week, and even upset some better opponents, rather than the hapless, ill-prepared team we saw this past Sunday.

#70 NCJetsfan, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This is it in a nutshell. But with Gase as the HC it's not going to happen. If CJ can't see this, he's even more ignorant about football than I've given him credit for.

rammagen, Jets81 and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Depends on his contract desires and what picks it would cost. I would absolutely love to have Robinson, but a first round pick is out of the question. Preferably no 2nd either.

13. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

I don't want to do anything that enhances the chance of Adam Gase being our coach next year. Tank for Trevor!

K'OB likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

darnold had an awful game for sure. but the couple of plays he missed open guys doens't account for the many plays nobody was open. the 1 sack becton let up was a coverage sack. you think hogan, crowder, and perrmian are scaring defenses? nope they are playing single man coverage and blitzing us. we need a WR who can make defenses account for them

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

I'd give up a 3rd a 5th and give him a 3 year deal averaging 15/mil a year. we'd have him for 4 years at an average of 13.75mil a year until he turns 31 (with an out in the final year) and giving up a 5th and seattles 3rd isn't a big deal to get a WR as good as him. that's what SF gave up for sanders

16. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I don't know much about Robinson but I'm wary of the Jets trading for him for some of the same reasons I was wary of them adding Forte a few years ago.

IMO the Bears aren't a dynamic offensive team. Why would he help Darnold take the next step when that wasn't the case with Trubisky?

I've seen his numbers he's been productive I'm not saying he isn't the answer.

To me OBJ is the guy to get. Who in New York doesn't know how good that guy can be? He knows the town.

17. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I’m weary of any big name player at this point because recently they just seem to come here for a huge pay day and provide nothing in return.

I’m sure Douglas is aware of this and it’s probably part of the reason he’s trying to load up on picks. He needs home grown talent and mid tier FA’s on reasonable contracts to build the base of the team. Then the big name FA’s become the cherry on top.

K'OB likes this.
  18. Sack exchange

If we could get an actual #1 receiver in the house, for say a 2nd or 3rd round pick, I say go for it. Lower pick would be better! Hard to find #1 receivers in 2nd round or lower. Sure it happens but not usually, so would be decent return for say 3rd rounder... I will go out in limb and even for late 2nd rounder.... in today’s NFL. Not having a sure fire #1 receiver is sure way to be bad!

19. Sack exchange

Say Cleveland has had enough of obj, and want to rid for 3rd round pick, might be good scenario. Remember we got B Edwards and Holmes for 5th round picks, cause they wore out his welcome.

20. GasedAndConfused

Robinson is a great WR who never had a good QB. he went form bortles to trubisky.
    on top of that he had a 1400 yard season with jax and an 1150 yard season whi chicago last year. he's made a pro bowl. he's only 27. PFF also rates him as a top 5 route runner with a top 5 getting open %
    he's also the only active WR with a 1400 yard 14TD season on his resume

Sack exchange likes this.