Dabo Swinney

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by semperfigreen, Sep 15, 2020.

1. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

I know its way to early to be talking #1 pick and whether we would move on from Darnold. Hypothetically, if we get the number 1 pick is Dabo an option? Would he be a good NFL coach? Also, would the job be attractive to him if he got to bring along Lawrence with him?

NYJetsO12, boozer32 and IDFjet like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think that Dabo would be a good NFL HC. He is all about his faith and character, which would turn off a lot of NFL players. He has it made at Clemson. Why would he ever leave Clemson?

3. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Yeah I read an article last year about how much he's integrated Christianity into the Clemson program like to the level of making church mandatory for all players and that mind set/style of program building just ain't gonna fly in the pros.

barfolomew, Jets81 and semperfigreen like this.
  4. Petey

Petey Active Member

Dabo is an elite college coach, but everything about him screams college coach and not a fit for the NFL. I think he'd consider jumping, but I don't think he'd translate well to the league.

5. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

I am a Clemson fan and alumn. Dabo is a recruiter and motivator, and obviously an incredible one. His brains are with his DC Venables. Dabo is not known to be the X and O guy

stinkyB, REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. DonnieBaseball23

DonnieBaseball23 Active Member

He makes almost $10M a year. Why would he take a pay cut to come to the Jets? Douglas will hire someone he knows and has worked with... Hopefully

blackssmagic and boozer32 like this.
  7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah Dabo strikes me as being a better recruiter than coach. Which is very important in college but pretty meaningless in the NFL.

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

One thing is for sure. Sam Darnold, like Jamal Adams isn't a JD guy or Gase either. They were Macc kids. And JD just like #33 will have NO PROBLEM kicking Sam to the curb. If the Jets have a disaster JD will take Trevor #1 overall regardless of which coach. JD will rather kick Sam to the curb, before EVER PAYING a Maccagnan kid (see Adams and Robby). JD seems like prideful prick.

9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Jesus, sounds horrendous.

Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Just to be clear nothing against Christianity or religion just pointing out the control over the program he loves having ain't gonna fly in the NFL. nick saban for example.

Ralebird, CotcheryFan and K'OB like this.
  11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I am not religious ;)

12. DefenseWinsChampionships

Bring back Herm Edwards. At least our team would play to try and win the game and players like Jamal and Mosley wouldn't out right quit on us. Darnold/Trevor would love him too.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Using religion to "motivate" your players, is the same thing as using politics...neither have a place in the locker room IMO.

14. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I don’t think he would translate well to grown men with different beliefs in a NY market. He can bible thump in a state where more people believe, and young men go to his program by choice. He also has been murdering the ACC, I doubt he would want to leave.

15. NCJetsfan

I agree. I don't think he has any desires to coach in the NFL. Faith is a huge part of who he is. He loves the South, and I doubt would want to live anywhere else. He has said that part of the reason he loves coaching is helping to mold character and make better men out of his players. That can happen in the NFL, but it's a lot harder. There would be a lot more resistance.

Where he is at Clemson, he is respected and appreciated, if not loved, for his approach. The ACC is a power 5 conference. He is great at recruiting and I believe that he has beaten Alabama more times than Alabama has beaten them, but could be mistaken about that. Perennially Clemson is one of the top football teams in college football. He knows that barring catastrophic injuries, he's pretty much guaranteed to be in the national playoffs every year. He just signed a big, new contract extension. He will go into the collegiate HOF. He has no reason to go to the NFL, unless he just wants to see if he can succeed at a higher level, but I believe he doesn't have a big ego, and doesn't need that, and he knows that his approach wouldn't work in the NFL.

16. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

You had a good argument until the last 2 sentences.

17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I don't see him leaving that program. It's a well oiled machine at Clemson. Recruiting is championships banners. Saves on crisscrossing the country looking for talent. Just throw up your hand and show off the bling.

18. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

He's another Nick Saban.

Some guys are just built for College Football

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Agree with most of you. Dabo is a college football coach through and through. A guy whose all about faith and family from the south isn't going to want to come live in East Rutherford anyways.

20. NCJetsfan

Utter nonsense! Herm Edwards said, "You play to win the game." but he never did. He was very conservative and passive. He played not to lose.

NYJetsO12 likes this.