The positive of all this

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjetsgreen, Sep 14, 2020.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Do you genuinely believe that people who have talent can't be badly coached and then fail to fulfil their talent to the full?

The world is full of people in all sports that this has happened to.

I also never said anything about our piss poor drafting, as a Jets fan does this really need saying, I haven't been living under a rock for years.

You know you are onto a loser when you have tried to agree with somebody and then appease them, then they start using full cap words in their replies, just go full bolding and be done with it.

I was agreeing with you though, just remember that.

Have a good night.

2. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

And a RB. No way Bell is on the jets next year.

NYJetsO12 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  3. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Sam missed several open receivers first half. No, they weren't wide open, but plenty of room and he overthrew several times. And he jumps out the of the pocket way too early. He was better in the 2nd half.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Not really feeling the 3 scrubs interior lineman. We draft those bums every year. Until we get an edge rusher no one will fear the Jets and our secondary will be an easy target. Glad Maye is getting some recognition and glad we picked Becton. Jets need some skill talent to score some points.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Maybe he saw some more ghost

6. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to talk you down from that. Feel free to be as mad as you want.

I'm not mad-- from my perspective, this is was a pre-season game. And just one game, at that. If the offense still looks like shit in week 4 or week 5, I'll be mad.

On the other hand, maybe I'm biased. I have railed about the idiocy of hiring Gase since within about 10 minutes of it being announced, so my expectations for this team have been really very low since then.

SOJAZ and grkmanga31 like this.
  7. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

I think he has ptsd from the last two seasons. The linemen look like they need to gel, but I saw a pocket many times. That was a good sign, to me at least.

I’m definitely worried about our Sam though. He has to start being consistently good.

tomdeb likes this.
  8. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I use full caps in almost every post I make. I would have thought you would know that having been on this forum for the better part of 4 years.

Do I think that a coaching staff can ruin a highly talented player? No, I honestly do not. I think it can ruin a guy who is not overly talented but has the potential to be good.

My point is that the only basis behind that argument on this team is guys like Bryce Petty and Christian Hackeburg. I would not say those are guys with a lot of talent that were ruined by a coaching staff. Our problem is the drafting of bad players

9. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

You are articulating a thought I've held regarding Sanchez but I've never been remotely certain about how this young, dynamic stud in his first 2 years became such a beaten down mess. He definitely started partying more and dating after his 2nd year but at the same time Schitty was putting him in a box.

Darnold's mono indicated to me last year that maybe he wasn't taking proper care of himself but I dismissed that thought. I haven't heard of anything good or bad about his off-season habits.

10. Countsnake

Countsnake Member

Not sure where you got that number from. I see you at 73mill just 3mill more then the Patriots. That should scare the shit out of you.

11. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I didn't watch the game (thank God) because i was travelling. But I was reading BB take on Sam's missing wide open WR running free waving his hand.... I will watch this mess today but I got to tell you like others I am think this fking Franchise ruined this kid... he has 15 more game to prove us wrong...

#71 SOJAZ, Sep 14, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  12. I'm Sorry man...JD has been here a year & a half now. He's not immune to criticism..I'm sorry.

You & I have gone round & round regarding this a few times over. The disconnect that i can't seem to get through to you...is that i dont & didn't EXPECT for the whole team to be turned around in one offseason. I fully understand we're in a deep rebuild & he inherited a mess.

But please read carefully so that you finally grasp what I'm talking about.

Edge has been an issue for over a decade. It's nearly impossible to field a competent defense w.o one. JD had multiple shots to address the position w. young productive players THIS OFFSEASON when we KNOW the position doesn't grow on trees. He chose to let it fester for another year.

WR has been an issue for over a decade. It's extremely hard & near impossible to field a competent MODERN offense much less give a young QB a fighting chance WITHOUT good weapons on the outside. He chose to let RA walk & give a 1 yr contract to a journeymen. Further he only selected one WR(After trading down mind you) in a WR rich draft when we needed multiple bodies. He in essence put a band aid on the unit.

JD CHOSE to let these positional catalysts to continue to hold this team back. Back-up QB couldn't wait. A swiss army knife DB couldn't wait. A back-up RB couldn't wait.A punter couldn't wait.

He doesn't respect or value the positions we desperately need help at. We heard all offseason that he doesn't value WRs. 2/3 Orgs he's been apart of don't typically value WRs. Is it safe to assume he doesn't value WRs? Now some people on this board will be happy to hear that. I'm not one of them. It makes me fucking sick to my stomach if you want the truth.

My expectations were NOT to address every need..but rather prioritize the ones that have been holding the team back for well over 10 years.

Is that unreasonable? PLEASE. Tell me I'm being unreasonable. Because I don't see it.

Up to this point, in my eyes JD is no different than the clowns before him. he's been here a yr & a half. He got to sit back for 6 months to take in this organization & roster. Certainly, the situations at Edge & WR should not be foreign to him. I'd like to think he understands what it means to go as long as we have w.o competence at those 2 positions. And yet he's fine w. let those positions continue to be an embarassment.

Don't give me "Next draft" or "Next yr". He's just like every other GM we've had. Completely clueless. I fully expect a DT & a back 7 defender w. our 1st picks next offseason. And like the fools we are...we'll buy into it.

Rinse & repeat.

#72 KurtTheJetsFan, Sep 14, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2020
    SOJAZ likes this.
  13. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I see 35 signed for 2021 and 73 million in cap space, 3rd most in the league. I’m pretty sure I saw a projection where it reaches as high as 89 million by next offseason.

14. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

BUT in the meantime SAM is regressing... WTF are they looking at! If he was so bad why didn't they bench him? Fking it the game was lost anyway...they only thing this HC did was damage him more by keeping him in and letting him "play through" which IMHO is BS. THIs HC is clueless...

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

You don’t read well bro. Any interior lineman except Aaron Donald will be negated by a double team. Put Von Miller and Yannick on our edges and tell me Quinnen and them don’t run wild too? It’s the equivalent of a QB without any wr, which we also have as an issue.

16. Falco21

Let's look at the entire picture if you plan on evaluating Joe Douglas in the year and a half he has been here.

He traded Leonard Williams who was widely seen as a bust and turned it into a third round and a fifth round pick.

He completely revamped the offensive line by signing guys like Connor McGovern, George Fant, Greg Van Roten, resigned Alex Lewis and drafted arguably the best offensive lineman in the draft.

He traded down in the draft and still got one of the highest rated receivers while stock piling another 3rd round pick in which he later turned into 3 more picks.

He traded our 6th round pick for a cornerback, something we have desperately needed, Quincy Wilson, who was a previous second round pick.

You claim he should have addressed receiver? The only real option on the market was Emanuel Sanders and maybe Randall Cobb. Guys like Stefon Diggs and DeAndre Hopkins were traded. Diggs cost 4 picks including a first rounder. Brandin Cooks cost a second rounder. And while Hopkins only really cost a 4th rounder, he just received the highest paid WR contract in NFL history. Or close to it.

We got rid of Robby Anderson because he was simply not worth the money he was looking for. He only knew how to run straight and while he was a great deep ball threat, we were not going to pay him $10+ million to do so.

You talk about Edge? Who would we have signed? DeMarcus Lawrence restructured and remained with Dallas. Frank Clark signed a $100 million deal. Yannick Ngakoue signed a one year $12 million deal. Clowney signed a one year $15 million deal. Vic Beasley was thinking about leaving football and now has been a nightmare for Tennessee.

So you would have been good with spending $9+ million on a pass rusher with all of the other holes we have on this roster?

With one draft, Joe Douglas drafted a potential franchise Left Tackle. He signed a highly talented Wide Receiver. He took a highly talented running back knowing that Bell will be gone this offseason. He took a young very talented safety to pair with Marcus Maye knowing Adams was likely going to be traded and he took a young very talented pass rusher who unfortunately has been dealing with an injury.

And with all of that, he has now stock piled 10 picks in the 2021 draft including two first round picks, one second round pick, and two third round picks.

You claim he "doesn't respect or value the positions we desperately need help at". Well, I would argue that offensive line is a position that we desperately needed help at that he addressed entirely in one offseason.

You can continue to state that he is just like the others but you also continue to claim that you understand we can not rebuild the entire roster in one offseason. If he were just like the other guys, he would have put us in cap hell by signing big name free agents and unloading an entire brinks truck at their front doors while completely screwing up his entire draft. Instead, he held back spending a fortune on older free agents. He stock piled picks in the upcoming drafts. He got rid of high ego players and he primed the offense in the trenches in anticipation of building a more potent offense with weapons.

We will continue to disagree regarding Joe Douglas. Throwing him in the same class as guys like Idzik and Mac are ridiculous.

NCJetsfan and Imagesrdecieving like this.
  17. Falco21

Sam Darnold really fucked us this game.

This sucks man:

18. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

i was kicking and screaming on my couch why he didnt throw it away. Man this is wayyyyyyyy worse than I thought

Falco21 likes this.
  19. This is the 3rd..4th time youve said to me “He didnt address Edge or WR but he did THIS instead so it’s ok..”

And thats fine that you feel that way.

But objectively speaking did he adequately address edge or pass rush?

Objectively,did he address the WR long term beyond 1 draft pick where Sam is now better equipped for success?

The answer to both is NO!!! Were their opportunities on both fronts? YES!!

It was more of a priority to grab a back up QB, a Safety & a punter. I guess you’re fine w that.Im not.

You can think im misguided & irrational..but if this guy cant recognize how bad these spots have held us back & isnt willing to spend acouple more picks on WRs or god forbid give up a pick & use some cap space to resolve edge..how competent can he really be? Does this guy even WANNA win?

20. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

Lol...

Can we slow it down? Wake me up when they play Indy and Denver. Until then, I don't know what to tell people who expected this team not to be 0-2 except lol yur dumb.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.