The positive of all this

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjetsgreen, Sep 14, 2020.

1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

If yesterday is the preview of our season, we will be drafting number 1. We had the worst performance of week 1 BY FAR. Obviously, tonight's games will have to be played out.

IF we draft number 1, there is no way we are passing on a QB. We have a GM who says in every interview that QB "is the most important position in professional sports" and hopefully our new HC will be offensive minded as well.

With our other picks, we need to secure more weapons for that QB and add interior Oline depth. Probably use FA to secure a pass rusher, there's going to be a deep FA pool.

I'm not upset with us sucking, I'm upset if we don't take care of the problems despite having the means to do so. Cap space, picks etc.

2. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

He was the worst player on the field yesterday and that is extremely concerning. He also looked completed defeated at his presser after. Big big concerns right now at QB. I cant believe this fucking disater

NYJetsO12, SOJAZ and boozer32 like this.
  3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

AMAZING!

I totally forgot to take a photo of them when I was done. I make them so often, it completely slipped my mind. 6 racks were devoured in about 30 minutes serving 9 people.

I will be making them again on Friday. My wife is turning 30, so she requested them :)

I'll be sure to take some photos

4. Falco21

Yup.

I knew for sure we would have an issue at wide receiver, running back, and potentially head coach, but I did not think it would be at QB also.

This is extremely concerning and really fucking upsetting to think about.

If this continues, we are in the same fuckin' boat we have been in for a decade plus. It's really becoming infuriating

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Just keep in mind how often week 1 is a gross misrepresentation of the season that is about to follow.

I’m not saying the Jets will be any good but proclamations of selecting first overall are a bit premature I think.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It may be that Darnold isn't the FQB we thought he'd be, but it's not certain he isn't. The reasons that he's struggled are legit and outside his control. On the other hand, he has shown stretches of being really good, and if he had a good HC/OC he would be much farther ahead. Is he Mahomes? No, who is? Mahomes is a once in a generation, maybe even once in two or three generations, QB. That's why I was upset and disgusted with Maccagnan for passing on him, and it still irks me no end, but I've accepted that it's water over the dam. But Darnold can be a FQB, and keep in mind that most successful FQBs are not named Brady or Mahomes. Given the right supporting cast he can take them to and win a SB. He's better - way better - than Sanchez was. I think he's better than Flacco was in his prime. Do not underestimate the difficulty of what he's had to deal with, not only learning how to play QB in the NFL, but doing so on a team bereft of offensive talent, a horrible OL, and poor coaching, and he's 23 years old.

All that said, if he doesn't show that he can carry the team on his back sometimes, I think he needs to be subjected to an open competition for the job next year. And if the Jets are "lucky" enough to have the #1 pick, I would certainly consider taking the best QB available at that point, but if they have their "traditional" #5 or #6 pick, I'd use it on the best WR available or maybe if a stud Edge is there take him, and then have Darnold compete with Flacco and Morgan for the job.

I'd get rid of Gase before I judged Darnold as failed.

Pepsiguy5, SOJAZ, BomberJet and 2 others like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

You don't need an elite QB to win a SB. Sure it makes it much easier and I hope Darnold can become that level, but even if he doesn't he could still take them there and win.

BomberJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I’ve been a huge Sam supporter but since the whole “seeing ghosts” thing vs the Pats he’s been rattled with his reads ever since. He’s not playing fast and that’s a huge problem. His receivers are definitely part of the problem simply because they are sub par but I think the root of the issue is his timing and reading progressions is just not good enough.

Jets have a really tough schedule and might win 2-3 games.. This means we are definitely in the race for Sunshine Trevor Lawrence. If we do get 1 overall I wonder what JD can get for Sam? If anything...

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Yup, the Pats lost 31-0 in week 1 at Buffalo days after cutting Lawyer Milloy. Tom Jackson said they hated their coach. They proceeded to win 14 out of 15 and ended up winning it all.

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Looking lost in year 3 is a result of terrible preparation. Sam needs to own some of the blame, but Gase owns the lions share.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. At this point i dont even want Douglas. Ignored the same glaring weaknesses every other GM has ignored dating back a decade. Had a chance to bring in multiple edges,did not.Had a chance to improve weapons around Darnold,other than a perrriman downgrade & one pick..he didnt.

Hes utilizing the exact same plan as Idzik & i dont trust him to address key needs.

Hes not going anywhere,but i have zero respect for a gm that thinks its ok to put this garbage product on the field ignoring perpetual needs along the way.

12. ColoradoContrails

You may be right Kurt, but I don't think so...not yet anyway. Yeah, it looks similar to Idzik's plan, but it wasn't the plan that was bad, it was Idzik's ability to judge talent, and that's where I see a big difference. When Idzik took over the Jets OL was terrible, just like last year (and maybe even still), and he tried to repair it quickly. I think that was the right approach in theory. But you can't just draft/sign OL because you need them without regards to whether they have talent. There were better players available but he ignored them and took OL even if they had less talent. I don't see that Douglas did that. I still have faith that his working in great organizations, and being directly involved in talent assessment and acquisition will pay off, but this was never going to be an overnight fix. And let's not underestimate the damage that a shitty HC is doing to the whole thing.

NYJetsO12, rohirrim665, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree with your choices for the priorities for the draft. One almost never gets a chance to sign an elite pass rusher in FA. The same goes for a #1 WR. They would have an easier job signing a FA OL than they would WR or Edge.

IMO the 1st round priorities for the Jets should be WR and Edge. The second round could be either CB, RB or OL. Third round should definitely be OL and RB if they didn't take one in the 2nd round. FA priorities should be depth at WR, OL, perhaps ILB, and depth at CB, or if there's a youngish elite CB available, then make him a priority.

Of course it's all subject to change. I agree that with all their cap space and picks, the Jets are in a great position to add a significant number of core players. I also agree on Sam. It's too early to think about giving up on him. If he continues to look like he did yesterday, then that will definitely change, but I think he will get in sync and play a lot better in the coming weeks.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I am not saying the Jets will be crushed this badly in each of the following games, but after seeing the floor, I think the Jets will start 1-4 at best, possibly 0-5. I also see the best possibility 2-5 after 7 games with 0-7 not completely out of the question, since they will travel to LAC and then face BUF again.

SF, IND, and ARI will not be good matchups for the Jets. DEN is the only one I see as a possible win.

LAC could be a win, but BUF is unlikely.

I am confident the Jets will pick top 10, even if it is 10th overall.

15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

One game closer to a new HC

16. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I hear you but I don't think he didn't work hard for the last 9 months and suddenly forgot how to play QB. That's basically what you are saying. I'm saying its my hypothesis that he is in an environment that produced his shitty performance and if he was in a different environment he would be better.

We've all seen those videos of Brady and BB working together on game plans. Do you think the dynamic is like that with Gase and Darnold? Obviously not right? Gase dictates the game plan regardless of Darnolds areas of strength or weakness. I hypothesize that Gase sprung a bunch of new shit on him at the last minute and he was trying to digest it all but couldn't and it was probably a bunch of loser tactics anyway.

Here's another idea: Gase's gameplan is completely countered by the Bills and the adjustments he asks Darnold to make are incomprehensible.

#36 IDFjet, Sep 14, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    SOJAZ, K'OB and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Spot on! Idzik was clueless. He had no business being hired in the first place. He had little or no background/experience in scouting and personnel. Plus he was slow and methodical. Douglas is not slow or methodical and has a career of experience with two of the most successful franchises over the last 20 years or so with scouting and personnel.

Following FA and the draft this year, I think it would have been foolish for Douglas to expend next year's draft resources or additional cap space this year, when the season may not have even happened and still could end abruptly. At best, it would have been like putting lipstick on a pig, and at worst, Douglas would have looked like an idiot burning draft picks and cap space to bring in someone and not even get this year's service out of them. The Jets were going nowhere this season. It was better to wait until next season when there might be better FA classes of WRs, CBs, Edge, and OL to use the cap space, and save the additional draft picks bringing in excellent young prospects rather than trading those picks for older, perhaps less capable players.

#37 NCJetsfan, Sep 14, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. Falco21

I agree with you to an extent. I disagree entirely on laying the blame at the feet of other coaches and GM's.

Yes, a LARGE part of his issues early on were related to things outside of his control, but I can not continue to lay that blame elsewhere and ignore the issues he has as an individual player. He looked like shit yesterday. He made piss poor reads, he held on to the ball far too long at times, and he refused to take control of the game. These are all things a GOOD QB does not do.

My mention of the word "elite" was in response to another poster using that word. I do not expect him to be "elite". I expect him to be very good to great. This is his third year. He shit the bed yesterday which is not a promising sign to the beginning of a third year. Darnold has had one issue that lingers and bothers the shit out of me, he is far too inconsistent. I do not want a QB that looks like David Fales one week and Tom Brady another. I want a consistent QB who puts the team on his back and wins ball games. He has not shown that and I was really anticipating he would this year.

Again, this is week 1, but I am very concerned right now

K'OB likes this.
  19. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Does anyone think Gardner Minshew has the better tools than Darnold? Minshew has been kicking ass given his ability. We could have had Marrone as coach but he got slandered as I recall. Probably wouldn't have worked out anyway.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Thanks to Manish...