Jets vs Buff Week 1 2020 - Studs and Duds

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Sep 14, 2020.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Studs

Maye - looked like jamaal adams out there. he was doing everything for us. great in coverage. putting on pressure. making big tackles. he has 2 sacks and a FF which was recovered by mcdougled, 2 PDs, and 10 tackles.

Crowder - had had a couple of drops, but he also was really our only offense. had 7 catches for 115 yards on 13 targets and a TD including taking a screen 69 yards for a TD

Poole - a great game by him as well playing coverage in the slot and run support. had 9 tackles 1 sack and a PD and good coverage all day

Bless - man he had a great game in coverage. he looks like a legit CB1. even more impressive was how he was also good in the run game on the outside including a TFL on allen on a QB run

Run D - Held the bills RBs to 41 yards on 18 carries (2.27YPC)

Mann - had a great day punting. had 1 short one but averaged over 46 yards on 6 punts including a 58 yarder

Ficken - was perfect on the day and we are short on studs

Duds -

Gase - was awful. the team looked unprepared. we wasted timeouts and were disorganized and the play calling was atrocious. nothing but screens all day. only effective calls were using bell on wheel routes but he got hurt and gase kept him in like an idiot. hopefully bell isn't too banged up

every WR not named crowder - periman was non exitant, hogan didn't do shit. permian with 3 catches for 17 yards was the only other WR to have any yards besides crowder in this game.

Desir - was garbaged and got benched during the game. not sure why people were so hyped on him. hairston replaced him and played better

Pass D - we got shredded by allen. his 1st career 300 yard passing game and the bills 1st 300 yard passes since tyrod taylor

Darnold - was just awful today. he was off the mark on all his passes. he just looked off. bad decisions too especially on the INT. sometimes he needs to tuck it and run to get a 1st down and not try to make the highlight play. also running out of bounds to lose 6 yards instead of throwing it away is awful

Trending up

the o-line wasn't a stud or dud but they are better then last year so far. with 5 new starters (1 backup form 2020, 3 free agents, 1 draft pick) and no preseason I expect it'll take some time to gel but so far so good

REVISion, azhar80, JetsUK and 6 others like this.
  2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I would not label Crowder as a stud for that game. If you take away the one 69 yard pass he had, he had 46 yards with a couple drops.

He was pretty bad yesterday

REVISion, azhar80, FJF and 3 others like this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

yeah but a 69 yard TD kinda cures all. he was our only offense

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  4. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Forgot to mention that Our pass rush was putrid, except when maye blitzed, which made our dubs cover longer... not that we have had pass rush for 10 yrs... but was hoping...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Think your mistaken regarding the run defense. Allen gashed them repeatedly. Can't dismiss that.

snamsnoops and cval like this.
  6. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Not disagreeing but I believe having Cashman go down so quick changed the gameplan.
    He would have most likely been the spy when we used one.
    Honestly, I figured they'd bring in the Rook safety and have him do it.
    That said, the D did start off slow as some have said but adding all the stuff up doesn't equate because the BILLS had the same shit to deal with.
    Last year, they stole one. This year they tried to give it back but we Gase'd it up.

Jets81, LAJet and TonyFtLaud like this.
  7. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Gase'd it up......
    Love that!
    Agree about Cashman. Also had poor adjustments and way too many penalties too. Week 1, no preseason, figured it would be sloppy.

Royal Tee likes this.
  8. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

It cures not ending the game with 7 fuckin' points.

It does not cure his drops and his complete lack of production outside of a screen

Royal Tee likes this.
  9. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

I do agree on this run D. They are players. They are just useless when your best pass rusher is Terrell Bashum. Quinnen is not a bust at all. Just double teamed every play because Bashum is our edge guy it’s that simple.

10. GasedAndConfused

the whole team looked unprepared at least he made some plays

11. GasedAndConfused

yeah people shit on him but he was getting doubled and tripled all day

12. WoodyHarrelson

I can’t say this enough. Look at Washington yesterday. They had two DL from Bama drafted in the past few years in Allen and Payne who are just like Williams. But, they were written off earlier in their careers. Washington goes out and drafts Sweat and Young (edge rushers) and it’s an 8 sack performance vs the Eagles.

Jets81 likes this.
  13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Bell has to be a Dud. I believed his hype and all his talk this off-season. Then he does absolutely nothing and hurts his hamstring after crying that he was fine 2 weeks go. Such a disappointing signing.

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I think Zuniga was supposed to figure into our gameplan. Whether or not that's smart, who knows, but you can see what Douglas was going for by drafting a young edge in the third. While I don't think he's done a good job outside the OL, I do think he realizes you need complementary pieces on the DL to have success at any of the positions.

15. WoodyHarrelson

but all of our guys get injured and then that falls on them and the coach. How hard are they pushed at practice? How good is the strength coach? Gase has an awful history of overworking players in Miami

16. GasedAndConfused

he pulled a hammy. he had ahuge 30 yard catch and would have had a 20 yard TD if he wasn't held

The Dark Knight likes this.
  17. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

I saw him quite a few times 1 on 1 and just slowly pushing the pocket. He needs to be better and even beat double teams as well. He is drafted to be a difference maker and not a space eater. With that said, he does need an edge rusher to be more effective. A lot of people were praising Jordan Jenkins but the guy is average at best and scares no one.

REVISion and GasedAndConfused like this.
  18. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Jets studs from my perspective:

-Marcus Maye: looked great, was all over the field. Covered, stopped the run, blitzed, he did everything. Great job

-Mechi Becton: he gave up a sack and had a holding penalty but his debut was impressive for me. Jerry Hughes and Mario Addison are sack artists and very savvy pass rushers. I expected his first game without a preseason to go much worse. Other than those 2 plays, you didnt notice him, which is a good thing.

-Jets run defense: outside of Allen, the Bills could get nothing going on the ground. The bills have a pretty good line and good backs, so to hold them how they did was impressive.

I'm not going to go over the duds because everyone knows who they are and I'm not one to pile on. However, I want to mention one dud specifically because I surprisingly see no jets fans mentioning this. Joe Douglas is a dud for me. I know he is anointed by Jets fans, but I cannot figure out why. Fans and media love to pile on Gase and even Darnold, but if you ask yourself what is the single biggest reason the jets will not be competing this year, the answer is because the roster is terrible and lacks talent. That's on Joe Douglas, not Gase or Darnold. Yes, Douglas walked into a mess, but he's been with the jets for a year and a half, and what talent has he added to the roster? I can't think of anyone outside of the 1st round pick Becton. He made no trades to bring anyone in, signed no free agents of value, and the only thing he's done is actually deplete the talent level even more than it was by getting rid of the few good players the jets had in Adams and Anderson. Gase has his own issues (and justifiably so), but I don't care what coach is given this roster, they are not making a run. I was completely flabbergasted when the Jets had all this money and signed no one in free agency.

Douglas seems to be operating with one foot in a rebuild, and one foot in the present. If you are rebuilding and trading away talent, why are you also signing and playing veterans like Frank Gore, Chris Hogan, George Fant, Bradley McDougald, etc? If you're rebuilding, you want to see what you have in players like Ashtyn Davis, Edoga, Perine (I know he's injured) etc. Either go in full rebuild mode and get rid of the overpriced veterans (like Bell) or sign players and compete now. If you try doing a little of both, you'll be unsuccessful in either. The single biggest reason why the jets are not a good team is because of talent, and that's Joe's job. He set the organization up for failure this year.

REVISion, snamsnoops, azhar80 and 2 others like this.
  19. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

A lot of those players you mentioned won’t be here next year. They all have an out or are 1 year deals. This was also The first time Douglas got to have his own draft. He came on way to late last year to have any impact in FA.

BudJet and Jets81 like this.
  20. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I am so sick of being sick and tired of watching opposing QBs having a 5 course dinner waiting for their WRs to get open.... and that is ANY opposing QB, not har for NFL QB with that much time to be good. Imagine Darnold had as much time as Allen had. We are in desperate need of a good edge (rental would have sufficed) unfortunately we took willliams instead of the other josh Allen with 3rd pick! Zuniga already hurt. Good edge can change offenses game plan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REVISion, azhar80 and Royal Tee like this.