The positive of all this

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjetsgreen, Sep 14, 2020.

1. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

if the Jets are truly this bad they will be picking first. We all know Joe Douglas signed a 6 year deal and is not going to destroy his career on Darnold and Gase They will be both gone next year the Jets will take Trevor Lawrence and Douglas will have full control on who will be the next coach thing will finally get better. I dont see this team winning more then 3 games if this was the finished product we saw yesterday.

2. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

We have the new Ray Guy at punter and that's all the positive I see

3. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

We actually have a few bright spots on this team. Just need to tank properly here.

-Futute LT. Well graded on PFF and held his own vs a nfl veteran in Jerry Hughes
    -Solid interior DL. Again, they are useless without a good edge rusher but Quinnen, Faltuski, and Shepherd are fine. Look at the Redksins. Their interior DL have flourished since drafting Sweat and Young.
    -Maye is a stud and hopefully he’s a jet for life.
    -Bless Austin is a number two CB and a starter. He’s a good player.

now, season is successful if Mims shows something and Herdon. Even Blake Cashman. We need to have starters and a core for our future.

barfolomew, twown, boozer32 and 5 others like this.
  4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

two areas of concern based on Bill game:

1- still can't get to the QB. Seeing Allen standing in the pocket like a statue for 4-5-6-7 seconds, even longer on some, just waiting for someone to come open REALLY killed us ALL DAY. I don't know how many times we blitzed (it didn't seem like a lot), but GW will have to start dialing up the same blitzes this year he dialed up last year.

2- still can't cover a running QB. Gase talked about how hard it is. It requires taking a safety/LB out of coverage to shadow the QB, which in turn means you can't dbl team a hot WR/TE. And it requires D lineman to have excellent gap control. Most teams don't have a running QB, but some of the top teams do. It's not just tough for the Jets, it's tough for ANY defense to contend with a running QB. That's something most Ds never account for in their scheme, but this current crop of running QBs will change everything for defenses.

Look, bottom line is I don't wanna put too much on this one game. Yes, we looked a LOT like last year. BUT it was our first 'pre-season' game of sorts, and some of our key players were out. I'll wait until after 3 or 4 games before throwing in the towel! I think the Jets WILL look a lot better as the season progresses.

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I did not post yesterday simply because I am at a loss.

It's not the coaching issues that have me at a loss. It's not the wide receivers or the offensive line. It's not the lack of talent on this roster.

It is how compeltely horrible Sam Darnold looked. I have been high as hell on this kid and I have constantly stated that he has the potential to be a franchise QB, but yesterday really fucked my mindset up about him. All this talk about how much work he put in this offseason and how driven he is. It all turned to absolute dog shit watching him play yesterday.

I don't give a shit how bad the receivers are or how average the line is now. We may not have top tier talent at skill positions, but we have talent. The offensive line looked far better than last year and he had more time to throw. A franchise QB would have won that game yesterday and would have looked FAR better than he did.

I am officially concerned about the future with Sam Darnold. I do not say that lightly. This really upsets me to admit

6. WoodyHarrelson

the Jets “have 32 players under contract for 2021 and have $86 million in cap space.

Expect an entire new core next year.

BrickcityJet, NCJetsfan and Jets81 like this.
  7. WoodyHarrelson

because we neglected edge. Our OLB are Terrell Bashum...what’s he going to do? Replace Bashum with Chase Young or a top talent and this D probably isint that bad.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  8. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Been rebuilding since 1969

9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

This is the answer to a lot of questions, either directly or indirectly.

Imagesrdecieving and grkmanga31 like this.
  10. WoodyHarrelson

That, along with 3 picks probably in the top 35 next year could easily change this team. Need interior OL, WR, and probably a new QB

tomdeb likes this.
  11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

And a new RB, Gore is 37 and Bell might be on the decline.

12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Sad to say but I think I'm with you. I was a big believer in Sam until yesterday. He looked completely lost and that can't still be the case at this point into his career. I'm still holding on to hope that he can turn this around but it's year 3 now, time to put up or shut up. The FO definitely hasn't done him any favors in terms of who's around him but it is what it is. Not sure if this is all Sam's fault, all the FO's fault, all Gase's fault, or some combination of the three but it is starting to look like it might be time to move on from Sam and go in another direction.

There's still a lot of season left so hopefully this was just a bad game but this can't continue to be the norm for Sam. We've got to see steady, solid performance from him for the rest of the year or those Tank for Trevor billboards will start to go up.

NYJetsO12 and SOJAZ like this.
  13. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

The offensive game plan was easily defended by the Bills. Darnold had no choice but to attempt to execute Gase's shitty plan and this affects personal performance in ways difficult to explicate. We should do Sam a favor and release him since we're apparently sticking with bugeye for the foreseeable future.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We have a stud LT in the making. Fant played pretty well. Maye had his best game as a pro and is very good.

Bless Austin is developing into a quality CB. We have some decent depth in Langi and Luvu.

NYJetsO12 and The Dark Knight like this.
  15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Great post. Well said. That is exactly how I feel this morning. That is the gut punch from yesterday. The rest we already knew. Sam disappointing, we did not expect. And like you, I consider Sam a potential elite QB. Well, elite QB's carry their teams to success. That is why I picked the Jets over the Bills. I thought Sam would make great plays, while Allen would fumble the ball and miss his targets. I got half of it right. I'm not jumping off the Sam bandwagon just yet, but I am concerned. It's Year 3.......

themorey and SOJAZ like this.
  16. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

With two 1sts, a 2nd, and two 3rds, the Jets are in a position to add a significant number of core players. Making smart moves in Free Agency will help round things out.

Off breaks I think 1st round priority would be Edge and OL, but it is so hard to say after 1 game. I would look to make Edge and WR the Free Agent Priorities. Pair a Free Agent and 1st round Edge, a Free Agent and Developing Mims at WR and keep Crowder, and add a high level OL with the other 1st.

I hope I don’t need to say all of this is subject to change.

Yes Darnold looked bad but there are 15 more games this year for a clearer picture. I’m still operating off of the assumption Darnold will improve as the line gels and the receiver corps gets healthier.

Imagesrdecieving, Pepsiguy5 and FJF like this.
  17. Sid Youngelman

Sid Youngelman Active Member

Here's the positive: Looking forward to next years first overall draft pick.

18. Falco21

This is the same horseshit excuse that I would have believed in his rookie year and even last year.

I am so sick of blaming something else for his mishaps. First it was he was a rookie. Then it was the change in coaches and offensive systems. Then it was Gase. Then it was his receivers. Then it was his offensive line.

When is it going to be about him? QB's around the league have been working with shit talent at WR and Offensive Line for decades. The really good franchise ones separate themselves from the rest, despite the pitfalls on the roster. If we have to rely on having a top of the line offensive line and top of the line talent at WR for him to be successful, then frankly, I don't want him as our QB.

He looked completely LOST yesterday. Yes, there were drops and issues with play calls, but he looked clueless. He made idiotic throws, he REFUSED to throw the ball away at times, and he played like a rookie. This can not be happening in his 3rd year. I can chalk up last year to may issues including the "sophomore slump", but if this continues, he needs to be cut off this roster. Label him as just another USC bust.

I really am pissed off by his play yesterday. I understand us not winning, but he played like dog shit.

19. Falco21

Exactly. An "elite" QB makes due with what he has and finds a way to win. An "elite" QB proves his worth despite the lack of talent on the field. An "elite" QB makes plays and throws that make otherwise nameless WR's look very good.

His display yesterday was far from elite. It was sickening watching Josh Allen out-duel him on the field.

westiedog1 and The Dark Knight like this.
  20. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

More importantly, how were the ribs?