Marcus Maye

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They want Adams to play the rover Kam Chancellor role in the underneath robber position and stick with that Cover 3 scheme and let someone else play deep.

You're right - they don't play man coverage at all though.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

good post. FWIW i'm glad we don't play Brady/Gronk twice a season

3. Jonathan_Vilma

PFF is OK. It's not the bible. It's interesting to look at and compare. But it's all subjective to the person rating the play and not only doesn't factor in talent level as you outlined, but scheme.

A left tackle might see a free rusher go by his outside shoulder and get the sack, but his job was to step right and block down. He gets a minus rating even though the runningback blocked the wrong way.

A defensive tackle eats up two blockers and gets driven back some but the ILB made a tackle for loss. The defensive tackle gets an even or 0 rating even though he freed the blocker up.

It's guys like any of us making these calls. Collinsworth did an awesome job of monetizing it and selling the product as a premium service. But it's not an absolute rating that should be abided by. Context is important and the eye test rules all.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Least we all forget Maye's game saving TD deflection against the Steelers last year!

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

All the talent is there for Marcus Maye he just needs to stay healthy

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Amen to that. Unfortunately I do not expect that to happen.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

and

Excellent posts, gentlemen. So obviously, what Maximus said wasn't all that we needed to know.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  8. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

2 out of 3 seasons he's played all 16 games (including last year) and 38 out of 48 total.

That's unhealthy?

K'OB and MoWilkBeast like this.
  9. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

For some, failing to recover from surgery and missing a good chunk of his sophomore season, will forever mean he is injury prone even if he never misses another game.

NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Theres a difference between being healthy and playing in games. Brandon Marshall played in a lot of games in 2016. Maye played with a big ass club arm at some point last year didn’t he? Was it against the Steelers? I think Maye certainly has a spotty track record dating back to college but when he’s on the field he’s usually playing pretty damn well so I wouldn’t say it’s a massive concern.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

12. Jonathan_Vilma

The team used Maye exactly the way I hoped they wouldn't use him. He is NOT Jamal Adams. I understand he had two sacks because he ran free. But he excels in cover 1 or cover 3. Most times he was in the box, we struggled with the ball being complete over the middle. Move him back to the single high and let McDougald play box robber.

I honestly think we need to move to a cover 2. We have aggressive corners who can tackle and safeties who excel in deep coverage. Play to the strengths and stop molding the defense as if Jamal Adams is still here.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. DefenseWinsChampionships

Marcus Maye? The one 3 years older than Adams? 0 All Pros? 0 pro bowls? That guy? Hm. Remember all the threads about lack of Ints for Jamal? As if his sacks and forced fumbles and tackles for loss etc meant nothing from a SS? But INTERCEPTIONS DID? HAJAJAGADADA what about INTs for Maye our FS? Why isn't our FS on anyone's top 20 NFL list? Man if you're expecting to get JAMAL ADAMS PRODUCTION wish again. He's nothing like Jamal. And neither is Rudy.

14. The problem is we dont have the pass rush up front to play 2 deep. Unfortunateky Maye is likely our best pass rusher right now so we’re forced to get creative w his role.

NYJFOREVER, Jonathan_Vilma and FJF like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Right. I'd rather see us fuck around with the inside linebackers and Poole than waste Maye's coverage talent to be honest. We have two safety who can cover. Seems silly to roll one into the box to overcompensate for a shitty pass rush.

I get what you're saying though. Our pass rush is atrocious.

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  16. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Overall i thought Maye played pretty good today. He missed an easy sack and Allen broke free, but he looks like the best player in the secondary (which means nothing).

17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

What we gain without Adams is one less mouthy loudmouth. Always liked Mayes better from the start. Glad he's getting his due.

18. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Best game as a pro. Too bad he will miss games this year for an injury. It's inevitable. But boy to we sure as fuck need a pass rusher.

19. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

The media wil have to calm down with the articles about how he's out of Adams shadow after one game and a monster payday.

He was brutal today.

Why did they take him out of the role they used him in week 1? Why change what's working? He had two (should've been 3) sacks against Buffalo, lotsa tackles, pass breakups.

Put him back in the Adams role see if he can keep it up.