How Did Our Shiny New Left Tackle Look?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Sep 13, 2020.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Not able to look at out of market games. Saw Robbie Anderson caught a TD.

barfolomew and Jets81 like this.
  2. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

I thought he looked good, not perfect but considering it's his 1st start against a good DL I was impressed. Moves like a left tackle and he's so damn big that even if a defender manages to get leverage on him it barely matters.

I know this roster is full of holes but Becton lives up to his potential and turns into a franchise left tackle it will have been a massively impactful pick.

3. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

He looked good, very promising for 1st career game. We have our new franchise tackle for the next 10 to 15 years, now we just need our franchise quarterbac, which I believe we will get next year with a top 3 pick.

4. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Becton looked like a NFL left tackle, which is the best compliment you can give a rookie in his first game. He could be something special as time goes on. He has that dreaded word... potential.

legler82, boozer32, Jets81 and 4 others like this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

He wasn’t the problem.

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Left tackle was the least of our problems today. As a young rookie in a very tough position he held his own and shows a lot of promise. Sam, the WR, TE and the defense in general was dismal, with coaching getting a big fat F. Sam showed none of the improvements Gase bragged about, and Crowley aside, the rest couldn’t catch a cold. Once again, no pass rusher worth a crap, and stupid penalties at every turn.

7. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I agree. He looked the part and most importantly, unlike Beachum, wasn't getting manhandled. He was able to hold his own and simply blew an assignemnt here and there. With seasoning he should be the answer there. I know everyone hates to hear this, but Darnold missed throws today. Plain and simple.

Announcers saw it, fans saw it, reporters saw it and Gase even mentioned it.

Minshew looked great today and he has the same or less support than Sam has.

8. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i don't think LT is a problem position for us on offense. its the other 10.

NCJetsfan, barfolomew and LAJet like this.
  9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

What really irritates me about today’s game was what seemed like total lack of preparation, Sloppy execution and Poor team effort almost across the board. Was not expecting a win, but sure expected a fair match.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He gave up a sack to Jerry Hughes which was essentially a coverage sack and Sam didn't step up. They nabbed him for a hold too that was a wishy washy call where a speed rusher gets pushed out of the play and turns their body perpendicular to the line and can draw a call but really shouldn't.

He was solid and it was a good game to start his career. I barely ever heard D'Brickashaw's name for a decade after the first month of his career. That's what you want.

barfolomew and FJF like this.
  11. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

I think the only weakness he has is going to be vs speed guys and Hughes got him on one play. Overall, for a young kid, he’s great and he was mixing it up with their DL jawing and showing fight when, call it a bit classless, but someone had to show fight. Big ticket is the real deal.

barfolomew likes this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Too bad he will not see speed in practice since we have no one with speed that can rush worth a shit to face him.

NCJetsfan, barfolomew and 94Abraham like this.
  13. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Yea. Our defense is useless without an edge. Look at Washington with Chase Young now, all their Bama DL look like all pros with him. Quinnen is not the problem. Awful drafting every year has been.

barfolomew and LAJet like this.
  14. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Seemed like he played pretty well for it being his first NFL start.

Now, if only we could get that kind of play out of the other 10 players on the field with him, we might be able to claw our way up to mediocrity.

barfolomew and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. DefenseWinsChampionships

If he did good I couldn't tell or notice because Sam looked worse than ever.

Jeudy or Lamb should have been the pick. Especially after losing his #1 WR threat and WEAPON on offense in Anderson.

Becton did not move the needle for me. A passing league with busts like Perriman here.

All this talk about JD former O Lineman lol despite him being a trash O Lineman himself during his younger days. O line guru my ass.

barfolomew likes this.
  16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Becton did pretty good actually. I was hoping for a few more run plays to his side, hoping to see him pave the way for Gore. But falling behind early kinda killed that idea.

barfolomew likes this.
  17. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I thought he looked good Jerry Hughes is a very good player and tough matchup, he held his own

NCJetsfan and barfolomew like this.
  18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He's got such raw power. Sam navigated the pocket incorrectly and had horrible footwork on the second clip. If he steps up forward and doesn't drift to his right, he has literally a perfect NFL pocket and he maybe can even run for 5-6 yards.

McGovern looks like he took a horrible reach step on the first clip. I was praising his quickness in zone schemes a week ago and he just proved me wrong. Dude better improve (granted that was a difficult block).

barfolomew and Royal Tee like this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

It’s never a good sign when the best player on offense was a rookie LT in his first game after being deemed “raw” during the entire draft process.

Its a good sign that he looked good though. The interior was not, and I thought that’s the group that would look better. Becton and Fant have little to no experience, the guys on the inside have started for years.