Is Nathan Shepherd Poised for a Breakout Season?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Sep 9, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

This is another excellent article on Jet X. Again, there is excellent use of videos to support the author's claims of where Shepherd made great plays and where he missed. I recommend it. It may be that Mac actually hit on a pick outside the 1st round.

nycarl and barfolomew like this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Shepherd's a decent player who can generate pressure from the inside, but at 26 soon to be 27, he may have already hit his ceiling. Also, my Magic 8 Ball isn't very optimistic. :(

[​IMG]

#2 HomeoftheJets, Sep 9, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  3. Good guy & a good rotational DT. Still my most disliked selection of the Mac era bc he was the very first pick made after drafting Sam

barfolomew and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He was unblockable against the Giants last year. Honestly haven't seen one of our defensive lineman dominate the LOS like that since Sheldon Richardson's rookie year. And then he crawled back into his hole.

Cool PFF stats - he has two career sacks (both last year) and 26 career tackles.

I think he's poised to add another sack and another 4-5 TFL. That'd be a dope season for Sam's rookie running mate.

Jets81, KurtTheJetsFan and barfolomew like this.
  5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Well this is the reason why Shepard was drafted in the 3rd...he flashed in college but last year he finally showed why he was picked in that round.

I'd love for him to become this pass rush demon but I'd be shocked if he had anything more then what he did last year

barfolomew likes this.
  6. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I’m pleasantly pleased this is a thread, and also shocked that it is a thread.

barfolomew likes this.
  7. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I was excited when they drafted him. He looked much better last year than the first few years. He can definitely be a surprise player this year.

barfolomew and nycarl like this.
  8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Please let it be so

westiedog1 and barfolomew like this.
  9. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Wish we had this optimism with the receivers.

barfolomew likes this.
  10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I hope so, he seems like a nice guy and his hard work to get here was a good story, shame about the peds incidence but forgive and forget and all of that jazz.

#10 K'OB, Sep 10, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    barfolomew likes this.
  11. Hes this generation’s Alan Harper/James Reed

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

That tweet can be referenced every time someone tries to use PFF as any sort of meaningful metric.

13. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I do. I think the QB helps make the receiver more than the other way around. See Peyton Manning’s Colt receivers.

Of course the receivers have to bring SOME talent and health to the table. Also consider that if I am not overly optimistic today of all days, I never will be. :p:p

AJT73 and Footballgod214 like this.
  14. think its 51/49 in QB’s favor. A QB has to read the whole field,get said WR properly aligned,make the proper read & deliver a catchable ball often w anticipation & within tight spaces.

That said,weve seen subpar to average WRs hold offense’s & QBs back. If they cant make the proper read,cant get to spots,separate,catch or threaten at least 2 levels of the field it can make things very hard for a passing game even w excellent pass pro up front.

QBs want to know who theyre going to in certain situations ideally on a multi season basis. WRs want the same comfort level & cohesion w a QB.

15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I really wanted an OL, Edge, or skill position player with this pick. Orlando Brown comes to mind.

Quinnenthebeast and NYJetsO12 like this.
  16. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Who needs premium positions when you can draft older interior defensive linemen from small schools?

17. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I think he'll be a solid edge setter, sub package player but the inconsistent play is worrisome

Lon Chaney likes this.
  18. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Shepherd and Fatukasi are great second string guys. They are key to what we do on defense. I think he will have a solid season.

19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

That scrub still on the team? Never hear his name called. Another busted Maccagnan pick. Man he was horrible and that last draft he took Q Williams and Pollite. Thanks again Charlie Casserly and Ron Wolf.

20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I don't know if he will break out this season but we could use him to. Q. will likely be doubled most of the game so someone needs to step up and beat their man with some consistency.