Roster Cuts and Final Roster Prediction

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Sep 4, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Wow! They must really like J. Smith. Hopefully, Cager, Campbell, and Hakeem Butler find their way onto our PS. JD really needs to get Butler, even if he has to sign him to the 53-man roster.

NYJetsO12 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  2. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Yes, we're clearly in the midst of a youth movement. Therefore, I'd much rather have a young guy with upside like Butler instead of an older guy with downside such as Sanu. We already have an older guy in Hogan, and Perriman also has some experience.

3. NCJetsfan

I'd rather have Butler than Sanu. Sanu is 30 and the most yards he has ever had in a season is 838. Butler is basically a rookie and is only 24.

NYJetsO12, SOJAZ, LAJet and 1 other person like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jets-53-man-roster-2020-season

The thoughts and emotions of NFL coaches, personnel people and players are pretty much the same at this time on the football calendar, a.k.a. Final Cuts Day. Certainly Jets head coach Adam Gase's view is the same as it was a year ago.

"It's the part of the business where it's not fun," Gase said, "because guys have been invested in this, especially some guys, not only over years of work, some guys that might have been their first year here and invested all this time since the spring, obviously in an unusual year and now you have to tell them, 'Hey, we're going in a different direction.' "

But each year there are wrinkles in the process, and as Gase said, this is an unusual year. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all NFL teams went through preseasons devoid of any preseason games. And instead of cutting down from 90 players as in recent years, teams were working from 80-man rosters to get down to 53 by 4 p.m. ET Saturday.

The Jets had 80 players combined on their active roster plus active/PUP (Joe Flacco) and active/NFI (Bryce Hall) lists. They made 27 moves to get their roster to 53, with several players who contributed in double-digit games last season among the departing.

Flacco, the veteran QB signed in May to back up starter Sam Darnold, passed his physical and is on the active roster, while two other QBs, David Fales and Mike White, were released.

Perhaps the biggest name released was backup OL Jonotthan Harrison, a three-year Jet who came in to start at least eight games in each of the past two seasons at center. Also on offense, TE Daniel Brown, who like Harrison played in all 16 games, was released.

Two defensive players with 2019 starts were also released. LB James Burgess, who was acquired off waivers from Miami, started the last 10 games, beginning with Game 7 at Jacksonville, at either at MLB or at OLB alongside Neville Hewitt in the middle. Burgess was waived, as was CB Nate Hairston, a six-game starter last season after arriving via a trade with Indianapolis. Also, S Matthias Farley, who played in all 16 games and got virtually all of his snaps on special teams, was released.

Despite the sometimes grim nature of making these cuts, Gase said, "There is a good part of it. There some guys that when they make it, the excitement they have, you share in that and that's a great part of it. It's kind of a mixed emotion. It's not always the most fun thing to go through, but that's part of our job."

Because of the volatile nature of NFL rosters the next several days, it won't be clear which 53 Jets on the active roster Saturday will be on that roster heading to Buffalo for their Sept. 13 season opener. General manager Joe Douglas and his staff will be combing all of the releases from around the league for some possible additions to the roster.

Then there is this year's practice squad, another change in the NFL's "business as usual." The new rules allow for a maximum of 16 players on the practice squad, up from 10, and including six veterans having any number of accrued seasons. The Jets and all teams can begin assembling their practice squads after 1 p.m. Sunday.

"You just never know what's going to happen because with no preseason games, there's not really film on some of these guys," Gase said. "So guys, if they're an undrafted free agent or if they're a drafted guy, you might not be able to slip guys through, because [teams] might just go off of what they had coming out of college. So it'll be interesting to see kind of how all this works out. I mean, this is uncharted waters for us."

Here is the list of the Jets' 27 Saturday transactions, with players grouped by positions:

Table inside Article
    Player Pos Exp How Acq Transaction
    David Fales QB 6 FA-19 released
    Mike White QB 2 FA-19 waived
    Josh Adams RB 3 FA-19 waived
    Lawrence Cager WR R UdFA-20 waived
    George Campbell WR R UdFA-20 waived
    Jehu Chesson WR 3 FA-19 waived
    Josh Malone WR 3 FA-19 waived
    Donte Moncrief WR 7 FA-20 released
    D.J. Montgomery WR 2 W-20(CLE) waived
    Daniel Brown TE 6 UFA-19(CHI) released
    Bronson Kaufusi TE 3 FA-18 waived
    Ross Travis TE 4 W-19(IND) waived
    Josh Andrews OL 5 UFA-20(IND) released
    Jonotthan Harrison OL 7 FA-17 released
    Jared Hilbers OL R UdFA-20 waived
    Corbin Kaufusi OL 1 FA-19 waived
    Brad Lundblade OL 1 FA-19 waived
    Jimmy Murray OL 2 FA-19 waived
    James Burgess LB 3 W-19(MIA) waived
    Javelin Guidry CB R UdFA-20 waived
    Nate Hairston CB 4 T-19(IND) waived
    Bryce Hall CB R D5-20 reserve/NFI
    Lamar Jackson CB R UdFA-20 waived
    Zane Lewis CB R W-20(ARZ) waived
    Shyheim Carter DB R UdFA-20 waived
    Matthias Farley S 5 FA-19 released
    Bennett Jackson S 3 W-19(BAL) waived

5. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Just doing a quick search of players cut. I would look at

Sidney Jones
    Hakeem Butler
    Ryan Switzer
    Jake Kumerow
    Duke Williams
    Rasul Douglas

Can someone please explain to me, what happened to Bryce Hall? Did he get cut today?

Also, I hope Lamar Jackson, Lawrence Cager, Zane Lewis, and Shyeim Carter end up on the practice squad

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Hall is out for the first 6 weeks. Still recovering from an ankle injury suffered in college. He's on the reserve/non-football injury list.

blackssmagic likes this.
  7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Did any of our UDFAs make the team?
    We had a few interesting prospects there, but most I was hopeful for seem to have been cut.
    Mac did a pretty good job finding value with UDFAs, hoping that trend continues.

Tough year for those guys to prove themselves tho without any preseason games.

Edit: looks like Bryce Huff was only one to make it for now

#127 BacktoQueens, Sep 6, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  8. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Also, WR Robert Foster from the Bills. Had multiple 100 yard games 2 years ago but was injured most of last year.

9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This would be a good yr to make the PS. I have a feeling what we saw druing TC with injuries and covid hits will continue during the RS for the same reasons.

I could see at least half the PS getting called up to the big leagues during the season.....

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

11. BroadwayAaron

I have to be missing something. We claimed NO ONE?

12. BroadwayAaron

You have to assume that they’ll be bringing back two of Cager, Moncrief, Malone or Chesson once the two Smiths hit IR at 4p today. We cannot go into week 1 with 5 total WRs, especially considering one is a rookie who hasn’t practiced yet and another is a guy who has missed the last two weeks.

13. NCJetsfan

I'm surprised that we haven't claimed anyone yet, but the only player that I may have wanted the Jets to claim that has been signed by another team already is Rasul Douglas. Hakeem Butler, Sidney Jones, Kumerow, are all still out there. I think the 24-hour period could be a factor. Teams didn't have to have their lists in until 4 pm yesterday. If the teams have to wait until after 4 pm today to put in waiver claims, there will be a flurry of claims after that time.

14. BroadwayAaron

I’d bet covid protocols have a lot to do with it too. It sounds like anyone claimed wouldn’t even be able to suit up week one or if they did, it would be with no practice. I’d love to see Butler or Kumerow here but I’d get why the FO would prefer to just being back Cager or Moncrief.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

TBH they should be thinking longer-term than week 1 of a shitty COVID ruined season, get Butler in for next season in reality but use this season to get him up to speed with the NFL.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

17. BroadwayAaron

Agreed. This front office has done everything that’s counter intuitive besides building the OL. They get the benefit of the doubt but I don’t get how we could be so content with the garbage we have.

18. BroadwayAaron

Good and bad news depending on how you view smith.

19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

The video of Butler catching it one handed should be enough to give him a damned call and bring him in for a closer look.

The fact nobody has is a little weird or worrying that there is something else amiss that we don't know.

But it really is odd that we have brought nobody in off waivers.

#139 K'OB, Sep 6, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron