Roster Cuts and Final Roster Prediction

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

By all accounts Harrison is a good guy and great teammate who blocks like a turnstile. That's why JD talked Kalil out of retirement last year. Didn't work out, but still doesn't make Harrison a pro caliber lineman.

The Dark Knight, joelip and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If he stays on the PUP list he wouldn't be eligible until week 7, and by that point, he will have missed about half the season. Why even keep him if they know going in he will only be available for the last half of the season.

There's no way Morgan should see the field this season. White, OTOH, has looked very good in TC, and has two years experience in the NFL, even though he has never appeared in a game.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

Flacco is not eligible for the IR as he was hurt before the season began.

4. NCJetsfan

No, he shouldn't. If the Jets keep him on the PUP list, he won't be available until week 7, so will have missed almost the entire first half of the season. With that being the case, why keep him at all? They might as well just cut him and roll with White and Morgan.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Can we put Morgan on our PS? Seems unlikely another team would pilfer him b/c they'd have to put him on their 53, and he's not ready. That way we'd have White backing up Sam until Flacco heals (3 weeks?), then White gets cut. Then we'd only have Sam/Flacco with Morgan on PS. Seems reasonable.

On a side note, if we put Morgan (or any player really) on our PS and another team claims him, can the Jets 'counter offer' by offering the player a spot on OUR 53 just to keep him? Or is it a done deal once a team claims him? What if the player preferrs to stay on our PS?

barfolomew likes this.
  6. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

I think they will carry 3 qbs and put Fales on the practice squad. Also I'm surprised we haven't brought in Steven Hauschka for a kicking tryout after Buffalo cut him.

barfolomew likes this.
  7. FinnishJET

FinnishJET 2023 TGG Double FF Champion

Due to covid-19, when the League expanded the practice squad to 16 players, they also made possible for teams to protect four players who then cannot be signed by other teams.

8. NCJetsfan

I don't think Fales is eligible for the PS. He has 6 years experience in the NFL. It's keep him or cut him. I vote cut him. He sucks.

SOJAZ, barfolomew and papapump like this.
  9. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

They presumably still have to be cut and clear waivers before they can be signed to the PS though. So there is a danger another team who liked him would put in a claim. You can protect 4 players on a week by week basis. They have to be nominated each week as I understand it.

barfolomew and FinnishJET like this.
  10. FinnishJET

FinnishJET 2023 TGG Double FF Champion

Okay, makes sense. I just read it from somewhere not long ago, didn't remember it correctly.

barfolomew likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If Sam gets hurt week one, Flacco isn't going to be ready anyway, so what's it matter if he isn't ready until week 7? He'll be lucky to be ready by week 4-5 if he's only just now soft tossing the ball ten yards on the side lines.

From a development standpoint - I agree on Morgan. From the standpoint of trying to catch lightning in a bottle and winning games, I'd rather see him take the field.

Gardner Minshew threw for 3,200 yards and 21 touchdowns/6 interceptions last year off the bench as a 6th round rookie. Nick Mullens threw for 2,200 yards and 13/10 off the bench when Garroppolo got hurt. Drew Lock, Jacoby Brissett, etc.

There are also hundreds of Bryce Petty's for every one of those stories too.

From a competitive standpoint I'd rather see a rookie come in and try to wing the ball around (no matter how raw), then watch Flacco come in and check the ball down on 3 and outs.

NYJetsO12 and Lon Chaney like this.
  12. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I'm sure as a former O/Lineman himself JD wouldn't leave us without a decent backup Centre. Perhaps they (the coaches) have seen something in another player that makes them think they could play Centre if they had too.

Have any of the new linemen we brought in ever played Centre before?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Agree, Harrison is a well-spoken, smart guy who works hard but who just doesn't have the talent to play significant minutes in the NFL. He was a sad part of our miserable, depleted line last year. I hope to gd that this is a sign that our backups this year will be more competent!

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This dude is the only one on the roster I have found that has center experience.

https://www.nfl.com/players/james-murray/

Unless Van Roten or Josh Andrews have experience doing it. To be honest, it's easier to just make sure you can snap the ball and for more lineman to do it in a pinch. The Spencer Long debacle was a fucking aberration.

Now, that doesn't mean anyone can step in and be good at blocking after snapping. But I'd imagine most teams have a backup center and an emergency center that at least won't Spencer Long it.

Harrison is a weird cut. I thought he was OK and at least a good enough player to be a backup.

barfolomew likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is all I could find regarding a new backup. Still a real odd decision.

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is surprising. He must have had a bad camp or something. A name to watch... 6’4” and can go get it. But at this point I’d rather keep Cager.

#36 BroadwayAaron, Sep 5, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    NCJetsfan and barfolomew like this.
  17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Fales wasn't even in the conversation to be part of the 4 or 3?

Sam, Flacco, White and Morgan.

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think the argument has been that Sam needs a veteran back-up, so if Flacco is out, then Fales would step in as the #2, and Morgan would be the #3. However, Fales is nothing special and White had an impressive camp, so it is an interesting situation.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

wow...wasn't he our leading tackler last season?

20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I think the argument or discussion stems from the opening post tbh where @NCJetsfan names the 4 I mentioned in his 53 ;)