Is Bell done?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Aug 28, 2020.

1. FinnishJET

FinnishJET 2023 TGG Double FF Champion

Bell posted some training videos on Instagram during the summer, some of them showed him and Steelers RB James Conner to do a same exercise. While I was watching them I was thinking how much faster and smoother Conner looked compared to Bell and thought then that maybe he had lost a step like many of posters here has said. I was one who was hoping it was the O-line and play calling that were the problem but now I'm worried he might be done. But I still hope he prove the doubters wrong and has a good season.

2. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

Bell is not done. Bell will a probowl player this year mark my words!!!

3. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

The article is nothing special, Bell was never particularly explosive. I’d be surprised if he ever looked good in camp.

We gave him a dysfunctional contract to join a dysfunctional team. We are paying a high market price to watch a premier RB get stuffed for 3 yard gains because other key pieces aren’t in place. That’s on Maccagnan, not Bell.

4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Bell is just a symptom of Jets disease.

You have to pay more when:
    1. Your team history and culture is trash
    2. Cost of living is higher
    3. Media stress is higher than any other market
    4. Your head coach is one of the worst in the league

That said, recently, we seem to pay more for the wrong people, and on the off chance that we hit on a draft pick, it feels like they go on to have a better career with a better franchise. Maybe that’s not actually the case. It could just be a matter of remembering the huge failures more clearly because the huge successes are few and far between.

JD has his work cut out for him because the Jets are a dumpster fire on wheels. It’s been far to long between playoff appearances, far to long since the Jets competed for a division title, and far to long since there’s been reason to be hopeful that next year will be better.

HomeoftheJets and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Maybe you should understand the player a little bit better than drawing conclusions as such and you wouldn't be so let down. Bell thrived on inside zone and power plays (power running behind the best pulling guard in the NFL).

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-steelers-offense-complements-leveon-bells-unmatched-vision

[​IMG]

That gap is RIDICULOUS. That's the power concept. Guard kicks out the edge defender to create a seam. After inside zone didn't work, we ran this concept more towards the end of the year.

Not sure where this misinformation comes from that he was some sort of edge runner like Dalvin Cook. He's not fast enough, nor does patience work as well because you run out of breather room and gaps to setup blocks consistently. Not to mention he was nowhere near fast or decisive enough with us last year to run those plays. They ran some outside zone for sure. But it wasn't their bread and butter. You're asking you're running to hightail it to the sideline and make one cut and explode into the seam. He could do it with the Steelers but it wasn't what he was best at.

Outside zone runs are instant 3-4 yard losses too if you get backside or defensive tackle penetration. With the worst offensive line in the league, especially early in the season before it settled, it would've been a disaster.

By the way. Take notice on the blocking on some of these places. It's pure genius - looks like an in sync dance. It's why James Conner was an instant Pro Bowler despite being an average rookie on a dysfunctional team.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2294622-leveon-bells-versatility-fueling-steelers-playoff-push

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2017/film-room-leveon-bell

^ 4 inside concepts, 1 outside concept.

#25 Jonathan_Vilma, Aug 29, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    Pepsiguy5, Dierking, cval and 2 others like this.
  6. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Jesus, everyone seems very quick to take this article as gospel. Isn’t the New York Post A piece-of-shit rag that likes trashy headlines and hit pieces? I haven’t seen a snap of training camp so I have no opinion one way or another, but I’m sure as hell not going to throw my hands in the air and run around screaming just because of articles from shitty sources like the Post.

Just wait until the games start - we’ll all see what Bell has left then, with our own two eyes. Not those of a journalist with an agenda.

Pepsiguy5, IDFjet and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

It’s been 3 calendar years since he was a good player - please show me a player after 2 non or unproductive season and showed back up on the 3rd......he’s only in the roster cause they are paying him regardless. The Steelers do things the right way - they let overacted RBs/WRs go... the jets who are one of the worst run teams across all sports continue to sign FA RBs. God they suck

SOJAZ likes this.
  8. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

To be fair the Steelers did use the franchise tag on him he just refused to play under it.

9. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

And you foresaw a 26 years old (then) top RB hitting the wall at 26?:rolleyes:

Dude was Marshall Faulkesque in Pittsburgh. He comes here he looks like a washed up Eddie George.

The early reports out of camp were about how great he looked so far in camp so I'm not burying him yet.

I want to see how he looks in 2020 with my own eyes.

ukjetsfan, IDFjet and Mogriffjr like this.
  10. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

or keep it.

12. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

the only reason i would think he is done is because the hc/oc wont use him in the way he needs to be used. he will get blamed for their misgivings but i guess it is what it is. at this point, just like jamal adams i hope he can find his way out of new york and onto the rest of his career.

at least the mets are getting a new owner... i have hope for them.

13. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

smh come on bro

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I do remember a game last year, can't remember which it was, when Powell came in for Bell and the running game INSTANTLY looked amazing. I thought that was a little odd and suspicious. Anyone remember what I am talking about? I hope Bell can get back on track this year, but if not, that is truly unfortunate.

SOJAZ, Jake and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  15. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Powell ran for a team high 74 yards at home against Miami week 14 (or 15) .....you're probably thinking of that game .

SOJAZ and The Dark Knight like this.
  16. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

Fair - they had no intention to resign him and it was a huge mistake for bell to sit out the season

17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

"Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated"

Le'Veon Bell, 2020

18. Jonathan_Vilma

What's the best way to use him?

19. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

NO I didn't see him hitting the wall (take no glee in that and hope it's not true)

But I did see us bidding against ourselves (not good) and spending a lot of money on one player has bad risk/reward especially if it's not you own (where you would have superior knowledge)

I totally have my fingers crossed for him/us

the history of pricey (i.e., not stop gap guys) FA acquisitions is checkered at best -- and in Jets case especially so

It's a useful reminder of the risks. We locked up a bunch of money on him and CJ and have little to show for it. A lot of the same people who who were pushing quick fix FA acquisitions also want Clowney or lament when all of the pricey guys went someplace else

NCJetsfan and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

That off-season was an absolute disaster for us, with or without hindsight.

Using hindsight, imagine how much different the team looks like if we signed Matt Paradis, Roger Saffold and say Jordan Hicks? Or insert Mitch Morse. Or only two of them?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...list-of-where-the-top-50-players-have-signed/

Maccagnan is the gift that keeps on giving. At least we got a decent (limited) Smurf of a slot receiver out of it.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.