2020 Season Win / Loss Predictions

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Aug 20, 2020.

?

Jets 2020 Record

1. 11-5 and up

2.8%
  2. 10-6

1.4%
  3. 9-7

18.3%
  4. 8-8

15.5%
  5. 7-9

18.3%
  6. 6-10

16.9%
  7. 5-11 and below

26.8%
  1. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

6 - 10
    This team will take a major step backwards.
    The defense is going to be much worse than people think with a pass rush sinking to an all time low.
    While Bell and Darnold will be better, playing from behind most of the time is not going to be able to let them flourish.
    Gase will go full retard and Frank Gore will see 3 to 4 times more snaps than he should and kicking game will cost us a game or 2.

Here’s to new coach in 2021 hopefully.

SOJAZ likes this.
  2. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

Agree with a lot of this, but I’m gonna take a loss going cross country to the Chargers, and a win with the raiders cross country to us. It always makes a huge difference. Also will take a random loss to the browns or dolphins, in a game we shouldn’t have lost. 8-8

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Wow! That's a really pessimistic view and I just don't see it. The OL will be better, and probably a LOT better. Bell should be better. Sam will be improved. Herndon is back. Perriman should be an improvement over Robby Anderson.

How do you get that the defense is going to be much worse? You could be right, of course, but I'm sorry, that makes zero sense to me. McDougald is better in coverage than Adams, so that will help the pass defense. The CB corps should be improved, if not a lot better. The run defense will be fine. We'll have Avery Williamson back. Hewitt's solid, and Cashman and Burgess should be better than last season. Phillips, Shepherd and Q. Williams should all be better and continuing to grow/improve. We have Henry Anderson back. Basham showed promise last season and Jenkins has continued to improve as a pass rusher. The pass rush won't be where we want it, but should be decent.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  4. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Lotsa positive press now that's all I can go on until I can see for myself.

Darnold is the key if the game really has slowed down for him and he's ready to make a big jump that'll help offset the loss of Robby and Adams on the defensive side.

I say expect this team to contend. Why not?

Who drafts a supposed franchise QB then brings in a experienced coaching staff then in year 3 preaches a rebuild?

Raise expectations stop giving these guys a pass.

5. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I'm hoping for the best but you're just saying every unit and key players will be better than last year and it doesn't work that way.
    Only way that happens is there are no major injuries, no players take a step back, no players disappoint.. you really think that's a reasonable take?
    OL and CB are struggling so far (admittedly very early). We haven't even gotten all our CBs practicing at once can't just say "oh yeah they'll be better for sure!" When we haven't even them all on the field and what we HAVE seen isn't great.
    OL I do think should improve but I think it's gonna take some time might be into October before they really hit their stride and who knows what our record will be by then.
    Def I have more confidence in but can't glance over we lost our best player, Williamson hasn't played in a year, we HOPE Q will be better but hasn't sounded like he's making a major impact so far (again super early).
    I'm not being pessimistic but just saying everyone will be better is foolhardy

6. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

Ok - I went through this with you after the draft . You keep saying all of this WILL be better. They are all IFs and COULD. You don’t know how 5 new OL man will mesh. The last time Bell was good was in 2017! So you don’t know if he will be improved. You don’t know for sure if Sam will be improved. You keep counting on Herndon but he has not a proven player - he has shown flashes 2 years ago in a different scheme and finally you don’t know if Perriman is a upgrade on Robby - on paper his is not !

the only proven thing on this team that anyone can say is Greg Williams has proven he can elevate almost any player into the scheme and work around it.

Nobody is being pessimistic - you are always over optimistic as usual

mrmajix likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

First and foremost, on most players and positions I said "should be better" not "would" or "will be better." That's a huge difference. I only said "will be better" for Sam and the OL, and I believe that, and believer that it is totally realistic to expect that. Of course some players have bad seasons or take a step back, and/or suffer injuries, but that doesn't mean that their whole unit will or that the whole team will.

The OL has more talent and skill this year, so it would be not realistic to expect it to be the same or worse. There will be an adjustment period initially as they learn each other and learn to work together as there always is with a new OL, but overall, they should be improved and playing well down the stretch. We didn't have a single OL last season with the ability of either Becton or McGovern. Lewis was solid last season. Van Roten and McGovern are smart veterans, are at least one level (if not two) above the players they replaced, and seem to be adjusting pretty quickly. Fant is big question mark imo. To think that the OL will be same or worse is totally negative and cynical, and not realistic imo.

For the first time in his NFL career, Sam will be playing in the same offense with the same HC and OC. That is huge. Players and coaches have been talking about his leadership, his command of the offense, and his focus. IMO it would not be realistic to expect him not to improve. He knows that this is a make or break year for him, he's a hard worker, so the only reason that he wouldn't be better is if he just doesn't have the talent or what it takes mentally, and I don't believe that is the case. He had good chemistry with Herndon their rookie season. He has re-established that, has quickly established chemistry with Perriman, and already has chemistry with Bell, Crowder, and Griffin.

Last season the offensive schemes and defensive schemes were new. There is always an adjustment period and players think too much and don't play as well or as fast as they can once they know the system well. Sam was learning his second system in two seasons. Crowder, Bell, and Griffin were all new to the team and the system. This season those who continue on the team will have a year's experience in their offensive or defensive system, so it is not unreasonable to expect that they and/or their units will improve. In fact, it would be unrealistic to expect them not to improve. That would be saying that the players are no good, the scheme is no good, or the coaching is no good, or some combination of those things, and that simply isn't true with the possible exception of Gase and his system.

Last season Bell had the worst season of his career. With Bell having shaken off his rust last season, with his admittedly not being in good shape last season, with him being in the best shape of his career this season and knowing the offensive system, and with Gase having learned and admitting that he didn't use Bell well last season, all those things point to the fact that he should be better this season. He may not be, but it would be a surprise rather than something that is expected.

Similarly, we have a lot more talent and competition at CB this season. Austin, Hairston, and Maulet have a year's experience in Williams' system, and both Maulet and Austin have looked good in TC so far, and Hairston is starting to show some positive signs. Desir has been a reliable CB. I respect JD's judgment of players. We didn't have a single CB last season who was on his level. Quincy Wilson has talent and has played well in the past. Austin missed OTAs, mini-camp and ALL of TC last season recovering from an injury in college. Again, it would be unrealistic to expect the CB corps to be the same or worse than they were last season. How does better talent, more competition, experience in the system, and a rookie who played pretty well last season after having little practice and getting TC this season equal the same or worse? That makes zero sense.

Williamson will have some rust, and could still be hampered somewhat by his injury, but Hewitt, Cashman and Burgess all played pretty well last season and they have a year's experience in Williams' system. They should be able to play faster and better this season. That doesn't mean that they will or won't get injured, but the expectation should be that they will be improved especially with Williamson's leadership and experience if he can contribute anything at all.

Losing Adams will hurt some, but I think that hurt may be overblown. Maye looks like he is stepping up. McDougald is a good S and is better in pass coverage, and with the NFL a passing league, I think McDougald will actually make the Jets D better, not worse, and I don't think we will miss Adams nearly as much as some of you think. I also don't think he was the leader that some of you think he was.

IMO you are being pessimistic, but that's OK. No one said that we had to agree. I can understand based on Jets' history. I just think this is a new day, a new era in Jets' football and that things are getting better

8. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to argue and again I hope you're right but a big part of your reasoning seems to be "they have more experience in the system they should improve" when that's just not how it works for everyone. There are plenty of examples of players around the league who have been with their teams for years and never really improve. Robby's first year with us was his best year for example.
    Your OL points are basically what I was saying so we agree there.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic I just don't think any team in the league can sit back and say every unit of their team should be better just not realistic.. but let's hope for the best

9. NCJetsfan

I admitted that's not how it works for everyone, but that fact shouldn't and doesn't change the expectation. Humans frequently fall short of what they should do. IMO unless the roster doesn't change/improve, the roster is aging over the hill, the CS does change or isn't any good, the expectation every season should be that every unit on the team should get better as they grow towards their prime, have more experience together and in their system.

10. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

There's a difference between being positive and being a homer. Being positive is understanding reality but hoping for the best possible outcome. Being a homer is not understanding reality.

Let's start with your assertion that the OL "will" be better and "probably a LOT better." The line was terrible last year and the only real improvement is at LT. I think Becton will be excellent and should definitely be an improvement. The rest of the positions are really washes. Connor McGovern is a complete scrub, and Van Roten is above scrub level but still average to below average. Fant/Edoga are replacement level players. Frankly, I really don't see a difference between last year and this year other than at LT.

Perriman has in no way, shape or form, shown to be a better receiver than Robby Anderson.

Having Herndon should help, and you'd think Sam would improve - I agree with those statements. Bell is a complete wildcard for me and I'm not certain you'll see anything different from last year. I'd lean towards improvement but there's really no indication. He's a year older.

Saying McDougald is better in coverage than Adams is either just a blatant lie or complete ignorance. Adams blanketed TE's and RB's and earned some of the best coverage grades. The Jets have absolutely no one at corner other than the hope that someone (Austin, Pool... looking at you) start playing better. Avery Williamson replacing Mosley is a downgrade if he were playing at his best, and he's coming off a major injury. The Jets STILL have no pass rushers (feels like we've been saying this for a decade).

I'm all for being positive, but some of the things you are saying are not based in reality.

snamsnoops likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yeah, you definitely only watch 1 team.

OL will be improved, and I don't think anyone is calling it above average. McGovern is a solid center, Van Roten is a solid guard, both are better then the guys that started last year for the Jets. Sam and Bell will be better cause of it. I think I would take Perriman / Mims over having Robby Anderson personally, but I agree position is a question-mark, but Jets don't need stars, unlike your QB ours can throw a receiver open.

ColoradoContrails and Brook! like this.
  12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Did I read this right? I want to make sure I'm not seeing things.

SOJAZ likes this.
  13. 5-11 right on the dot. This team still lacks offensive personnel & defensive talent on the edge/boundary.

People forget other teams get better in offseason too.

Maybe by 2030?Maybe?

I dont really get my hopes up anymore.

#33 KurtTheJetsFan, Aug 24, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2020
    mrmajix and jilozzo like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

LOL Right. I don't need a Bills fan to tell me what is reality. I stopped reading at Connor McGovern is a complete scrub. Take your BS elsewhere.

SOJAZ, Brook! and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The irony here is that your team took a giant leap forward when they did the same exact thing the Jets did this past off-season as far as the offensive line is concerned. Sign a BUNCH of professional offensive lineman to reasonable contracts and create competition, while solidifying center and left tackle.

Why do you think it'd work for the Bills and not the Jets? Silly.

FJF, ColoradoContrails, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  16. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

The difference is that the quality of linemen the Bills added is much higher than what the jets attempted to do.

#1 - The Bills already had Dawkins at LT, who was a vastly superior lineman than anyone the jets fielded last year.

#2 - The Bills signed Mitch Morse, who was the top rated center (or near top rated center) in the league. The Jets signed nobody of this caliber.

#3 - The Bills traded up in the 2nd and took Cody Ford.

#4 - The Bills signed Quinton Spain who had a proven record of being a quality starter in Tennessee, and proved so again last season for the Bills, which lead to a nice contract this offseason. The jets didn’t sign anyone in the free agent market who’s play is on the same level as Morse or Spain.

#5 - The bills added depth players like Spencer Long, Ty Nsehke and Jon Feliciano. Feliciano was a huge surprise, and most will say he was our best lineman last year and the leader on the offense. He played RG at a high level and moved in to center when Morse missed time. He was fantastic last year and his loss this season hurts. However, he surprised because he was buried on the depth chart in Oakland behind 2 all pro guards, Kelechi Osemele and Gabe Davis. Feliciano never had a shot and didn’t really have a history of game tape in the league. Nobody really knew what they had when they signed him.

I love the Becton pick, but the Jets didn’t add anyone in free agency the quality of Morse, Spain or Feliciano. You might say that Feliciano surprised, so why can’t any of the Jets linemen surprise? My answer to that would be twofold:

(1) As I mentioned, Feliciano really had no game tape in the league. It’s not as if he was an average to below average player who’d been playing that way for years like McGovern, Fant and to some degree, Van Roten. Those players have a history of playing at a certain level. You’d be asking them to take a giant leap forward when they’ve shown no signs or ability for doing so. That’s what’s called a hope and a prayer!

The (2nd) reason is coaching. I have faith in the McDermott staff and none in Gase. The coaches, players and media have begun to recognize Buffalo as “the place you go to become the best version of yourself.” We’ve seen that happen with a number of players, so its at least reasonable to anticipate players having better seasons while playing for the bills than they may have had previously because of the culture and quality of coaching. That’s been proven. I don’t see anything like that from Gase.

snamsnoops likes this.
  17. Johnny "Lam" Jones

Johnny "Lam" Jones Active Member

Let’s see. Darnold won 7 last year and will improve, but it’s a monstrously tough sked.

give him 2 wins up from last year. Possibly 3.

I stick with 9-7

Lam

FJF likes this.
  18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

IF all reg season games are played then 3 wins.

19. 50ShadesOfGreen

50ShadesOfGreen Well-Known Member

6-10 minimum
    9-7 If Darnold and Bell play at pro-bowl level.

It's hard to give more W's, mostly because the defense and receiving core are both a big ? for me.

On the bright-side though, none of the AFC East teams are Superbowl contenders. Pats/Bills are playoff caliber at best, but they aren't better than any of the other playoff contenders.

20. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

4-12

This team stinks