Now is the time to trade for Yannick Ngakoue (Traded to Vikings)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by footballfundamentals, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Intellectually I know that we should not be trading for a rental. But I cannot lie - I'm getting really excited by the thought of adding a bonafide pass rusher.

I'm already starting the mental gymnastics required to endorse this move.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Vida likes this.
  2. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

For those saying that they would tag him next year. He's already on the tag and a second tag is a lot more expensive. Is he really worth that much including the picks it will take.

All this in a season we hope to complete but might not.

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Ok, if you two can hold off on the 'mutual admiration' for a second... ; )

The Jets problem is they chase BPA's because they've WHIFFED on too many picks, regardless of position.
    2013: Dee Milliner (9); Sheldon Richardson (13); could've had DeAndre Hopkins (27)
    2014: Calvin Pryor (18); Jase Amaro (TE-49...could've had Devante Adams at 53); Jaylon Saunders/Shaq Evans-WR busts.
    2015: Devin Smith, WR - bust
    these idiots couldn't even pick serviceable WR's.
    Continuing.... v

2016: Darron Lee (20). Cleveland picked WR Corey Coleman (who?) at #15. After the Jets picked Lee at 20, the 3 WR's who were picked right after the NYJ at 21, 22, 23 were: Will Fuller, Josh Doctson (hello!), and the immortal Laquon Tredwell. The point being drafting WR's or edge rushers is all well and good - provided you pick good to very good (and sometimes elite). The Jets don't/haven't.

Douglass: Mims was good value at 59. While he went edge with Zuniga I wished he had grabbed Bryan Edwards (WR, So. Car.) instead. Big Zuniga-skeptic.

blackssmagic likes this.
  4. Imagesrdecieving

I think the thought is we have the ability to franchise him in order to control the right to negotiate a long term contract with him rather than him operating as an unrestricted FA

blackssmagic and dawinner127 like this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You're fuckin touched man, no pun intended.

6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

. . way to take it seriously...

. . let alone .personally

[​IMG]

7. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Which is the exact trap that the giants fell into with big cat williams, and one of the reasons we laugh at dave gettleman.

Yannicks tag is 17.8 mill which i would pay him no problem. The next problem if you trade and only have the tag as leverage is that next tag is likely to be worth over 25mil, and that will be his starting point in negotiations.

Do we want to be sat here paying him 25mill next year? He's not khali mack.

For me, he's on the list of players i would be heavily pursuing on the FA market next year, along with JuJu from the steelers.

I just dont see us giving a big pick when he have no real option of getting a long term deal signed for a while.

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I typed that post through laughter.

joe likes this.
  9. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Exactly this. If you want him sign him in FA. Makes no sense to bring him now

10. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

If he is franchised a second year in a row he will sit out just like this year. Him being upset with Jacksonville is directly tied to his contract situation. I would trade for him only with a low pick or a conditional pick that kicks up only under the condition he reaches a multi year contract by a certain date. I would not risk a high pick if he cannot be retained.

Brook! likes this.
  11. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Get permission from Jags for negotiating a long term deal with Yannick. Agree with him then give Jags a second rounder at most than move on

12. Imagesrdecieving

The deadline has passed. A long term deal can't be negotiated until after the season.

Brook! likes this.
  13. Suppose their is no season..or say part of a season that is abruptly cancelled?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Imagesrdecieving

I'm no expert but I believe regardless of whether the season gets cut short or not it will count as a year of service. So no matter what - whoever acquires him gets no leg up on negotiations other than a chance to bring him in and make him feel comfortable.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  15. Its been specuated that the trade would be conditonal.If he resigns w jets they surrender 2 3rds if he doesnt re sign its a 3 & a 5.

16. Imagesrdecieving

I'd sign up for that deal in a second.

Sometimes a risk needs to be taken. Given our excess draft capital this feels like a reasonable thing to take a shot on. The upside is too high to not roll the dice.

blackssmagic and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  17. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Aha. Thanks.

18. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Hell freaking yes. He and JuJu are the 2 players I have been eyeing for this team. They would fill major gaps and almost make this team complete. JD will have tons of flexibility in the draft next year making a huge difference for the Jets. When was the last time we could say that

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. Toon is God

Toon is God Active Member

If you trade a 2 now you get him for a year with the exclusive ability to negotiate an extension after the season. If he’s resigned great. If he walks the jets likely get a 3rd round comp pick in 2022. So you’re potentially trading a 2021 2nd rounder for a 2022 3rd rounder. Also keep in mind the value of 2021 picks vs 2022 picks with respect to the pandemic.

20. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Also, if people think that the Jets wouldn't already have the parameters worked out for an extension with a handshake and smile. It happens in every single industry, I cant believe some cant see that