The Official 2020 Jets Training Camp Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jul 28, 2020.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I don’t think they ever really had intentions of playing Fant on the left. It was a deep tackle draft and the Jets picked at 11, striking range if they needed to move up for one.

Obviously that’s in hind sight, not saying I knew that then, but I suspect Fant was always meant to be RT1

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, Fant is expected to be the RT, not Edoga. Edoga still needs a lot of work, and may never develop into anything more than a decent backup.

I believe that Perriman is a better WR than Anderson. He is a more complete WR, runs the full route tree, has better hands, and competes for the ball more than Anderson.

azhar80 and Mogriffjr like this.
  3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Yeah gonna be a rough one until Mims comes back hopefully. Crowder is more of a slot as is Berrios. So currently Josh Malone and Jehu Chesson are the outside WR’s. That’s why Hogan was brought in. Looks like the UDFA guys aren’t up the speed yet.

4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Perriman has less than 100 career catches in the NFL through 4 years. 25 of those 97 came in the final 5 weeks last year when Mike Evans and Godwin missed games with injuries and Perriman was the only option . Let's pump the breaks on simply penciling in Perriman > Robby.

Aero, GasedAndConfused and barfolomew like this.
  5. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Would you even bother looking Perriman’s way when you have Evans and Godwin? Perriman was still open all last year. Just didn’t start getting looks until options 1 and 2 went down.

themorey likes this.
  6. dawinner127

So explain to me why he's only had 72 catches in 3.5 years then? Was he just waiting for options 1 and 2 to go down for those first 3.5 years? If he is as hyped as everyone is making him out to be, he wouldn't have had to wait for options 1 and 2 to go down to crack into the starting lineup.

I hope I am so wrong on Perriman replacing Robby, but everyone is penciling him in as an easy replacement for Robby and I don't see it. The dude has done nothing for 3.5 years.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

8. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

9. BroadwayAaron

Desir our the entire first week with a hamstring injury is awful too. That’s what derailed him last year. And Christ can someone please get Poole some friggen water?

10. Mogriffjr

Well I mean he was behind two prolific WR's in Evans and Godwin. Also he had to be worked into a new system as well but he shined when he was thrusted into action late when he was their #1 option for the last bit of games.

11. BroadwayAaron

Fact is, when he was thrust into the WR1 role he thrived. By your logic you should be able to plug anyone into that role and they’d put up WR1 numbers. That’s not how it works. See: Anderson, Robert.

12. dawinner127

2016: Steve Smith Sr, Kamar Aiken, Perriman, Mike Wallace
    2017: Jeremy Maclin, Mike Wallace, Perriman, Chris Moore
    2018 (Cleveland): Jarvis Landry, Antonio Calloway, Rashard Higgins, Perriman

He couldn't beat any of these guys out in 3 and a half years of playing! 97 catches in four years while playing with a handful (not including SS, Landry, and I'll even give you Maclin) of JAGS for 3.5 years.Let's also remember he is going from an offensive wizard in Arians to a complete schmuck in Gase. Like I said earlier, I hope I am wrong, but to be as confident as some of you are in saying Perriman => than Robby before even playing a snap for us is asinine. He has done nothing outside of a five game sample size.

13. BroadwayAaron

I think the issue is you’re making Anderson out to be anything more than a third receiver on a good team, which is what Perriman has been. Anderson was forced to be a 1 and he put up good numbers as a mostly one-dimensional receiver. Perriman did more when he was forced into the same role.

azhar80 and themorey like this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

And if we are just looking at 5 game sample sizes... the best 5 game stretch of Robby's career (Perriman in parenthesis):

5.6 rec (5)
    98 ypg (105)
    490 yards (506)
    5 TD (5)

So if you want to break it down by the best 5 game stretches of their career, Perriman and Robby are quite literally the same guy. I'm also well aware that this is not the best way to compare players but the point is that even if you reversed the roles you could easily make the exact same argument that at their best, they are one in the same.

themorey likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand your skepticism. I have my doubts about Perriman too. I am definitely more hopeful than confident in Perriman. That said, he was one of the best WRs in the league the last 5 weeks of last season. If he doesn't have ability and talent, that doesn't happen. I don't know why he hasn't produced earlier. He was injured and missed his rookie season in 2015. I'm sure that set him back. In 2016 he was pretty decent and appeared in all 16 games. Then in 2017 he only appeared in 11 games. Was that due to injury or ineffectiveness? Sounds like he could have been struggling with injuries that season, but it could depend upon when he missed those games, and why. If he was injured, it would have been hard, if not impossible, to build upon 2016 if he was struggling with injuries early or throughout the season. In 2017 he had to learn a new offense and only appeared in 10 games. Was that due to injury or ineffectiveness?

For whatever reason, some people are late bloomers. It's not at all uncommon in professional sports for a player to struggle for years and then all of a sudden the light goes on and they become a very good player. Look at Kurt Warner. Maybe he's not a quick learner. I don't know, but I think he has potential. He is bound to have learned some things in his 4 years in the NFL and especially from Arians last season. It sounds like he is confident now, and we'd all better hope he proves to be the real deal and stays healthy. If not, it could be a long season for Sam and the offense.

Mogriffjr and dawinner127 like this.
  16. dawinner127

Nah, I didn't actually think Robby was anything special. The talk of him getting 13+ a year was laughable in my eyes - I thought he was alright, nothing great. I just think it's premature to claim Perriman is going to be as good or better than Robby when there is only a legit 5 week sample size of the guy. We can agree to disagree, but that's my stance on it. For our sake, hopefully I am wrong.

17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Fant is gonna compete with edoga for the RT spot. he's also a swing tackle and can play LT if becton gets hurt or struggles too much as a rookie. fan is basically insurance for the 2 young tackles

18. Mogriffjr

Perriman was raw coming out (had some injury issues too), that's why he struggled initially. But with the Browns, they supposedly liked him and wanted to bring him back. He went to Tampa, which ended up being a better place with Jameis throwing a ton of passes...so the opportunities presented himself. But he worked on his game and became a good route runner, it just took longer then the Ravens expected. Mind you, JD and some of the staff were familiar with Perriman, which is one of the reasons why he came here.

azhar80 and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

For me at least , it is not about Perriman, but about how overrated Robby was on the Jets. He is not a bad player, but his production is definitely replaceable. Part of it was not his fault, as he is more of a #2 WR than a #1 WR, but still.

20. It’s the wishful thinking about Perriman thats frustrating. Its not unreasonable to think he can contribute. It’s his name being thrown around as the answer to all tat ails the Jets skill group. This is a career journeyman on his 4th team in 4 yrs who is here on a ONE YEAR DEAL.

The false hope surrounding the last 5 game aspect just screams Curtis Conway/Matthew Hatchette/Justin Mccareins;Which tells you how long WR has been problem for this team & how long fans have been oblivious to the embarrassment w unbelievably low standards