2021 Draft Strategy

Discussion in 'Draft' started by MaximusD163, Jul 31, 2020.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

My casual guess is that there is probably around 25% from rounds 4-Undrafted any given year. Which of those rounds puts out the most probably varies.

2. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Question: since the college season is all but in doubt, what will scouting look like? Watching tape of 2019? It’s certainly going to be weird...

With that said, it may be the opportune time for Joe to mold the scouting department more so in his own image. Having come in after the offseason in 2019 he couldn’t have had the ability to remove Macagnans scouts entirely.

3. Desk scouting.Lots of tape incl underclassman yrs & calls to coaches/relatives/colleagues trying to figure out the character piece.

Character becomes paramount in this type scenario.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. MaximusD163

Also, many players have already foregone college eligibility, and if there is no season maybe more. These players will be working out at pro training facilities, and teams can check them out there.

5. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Without having too much knowledge of where positions and players are valued, I'll keep this vague. All of this is subject to change based on the players available.

In round 1, I'm going OL and Pass Rusher. I don't really care which order.
    In rounds 2 and 3, I'm going WR, WR, CB. Best player available of those two positions

6. I shouldnt be surprised that somehow someway defense & OL are being prioritized over offensive skilll AGAIN by Jet fans.

i often wonder if we’ve followed the same team over the last 30+ fucking years. Whats 10 more yrs of vertically challenged vanilla offense or destroying yet another young QB along the way. It’s more important to try & stop OTHER teams young QBs who..gasp..actually supply their QB w legit weapons.

It’s embarassing.Humiliating.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'm all for getting skill position players with both 1st round picks in 2021. In a perfect world, we'd land Ja'Marr Chase and Travis Etienne. Both can make an immediate impact and our offense will have multiple weapons who are young, cheap, and can grow with Sam. OL can be addressed on day 2. Edge can wait until 2022. For CB, let's see what the current group does. The priority next year must be to continue giving Sam a supporting cast that gives him a fighting chance to become a FQB.

Attackett and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. We're in agreement...but I don't think we have many friends on the island.

This fan base STILL doesn't think skill matters & would rather continue to emphasize defense & trench play. For the life of me...I can't understand how people still think this is the proper model for this team. Is nearly 2 decades of downplaying the importance of scoring points NOT ENOUGH?! We've gone so long w.o a functional dependable offense people have literally forgotten that it's an actual thing.

But sure, why not? Let's just keep wasting picks on players who don't score points & shooting for 10-7 wins every single week. Scoring league my ass. Rules favoring the offensive boundary, my ass. 8/10 first round picks in a 10 year span spent on defense w. literally NOTHING to show for it? MY ASS.Worst WR corps most every year? Who cares? Young Qb who needs help around him? Ahh who needs that? Let's just draft a bunch of corners & Ol help. Can never have enough Tebow. I mean OL.

#48 KurtTheJetsFan, Aug 12, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2020
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

Not arguing with you but OL definitely goes into the "Help the team score" category, and we went 1st and 2nd round offense picks this last draft. I don't think that qualifies as ignoring the offense, at least in the draft anyway. Also I'd posit that there's a bigger dropoff for certainly in tackle and pass rusher and probably even corner than there is for WR outside the 1st round. Plenty of talent falls into the 2nd and 3rd round at WR every year.

If we pick a stud WR with one our 1st rounders that would be fantastic. If we got a stud tackle and pass rusher while addressing WR/TE in the 2nd and 3rd that would be fine by me too. Too manyholes on the roster to get laser focused on just one.

#49 Dax89, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  10. MaximusD163

Why is what other fans want embarrassing and humiliating?

11. Because it mirrors the team’s thinking over the last 10 yrs & suggests that folks havent even watched this team or followed their roster management history. Its outdated,backwards thinking & the final product on the field is all the proof i need.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. MaximusD163

But what does that have anything to do with you? Somehow something someone else believes humiliates you?

Seems like you are transposing some unnecessary things onto your own emotional state.

13. well interpret it anyway youd like i guess.

You clearly to exception so whose emotional state are we really talking about here?

14. MaximusD163

Well I have to admit whenever I point out something like that, I’m usually having a shitty day, so touché. On the same note, probably you’re taking it too personally?

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

JD may be waiting to see how they perform for a season or two before making any changes, but imo if he thought any of them were not qualified or doing a good job, they would already be gone. We've blamed the scouts because it was easy to do and we didn't have the necessary info, but I think 95+% of the blame (maybe more) lies squarely on Bradway's, Idzik's, and Mac's shoulders. Something that was very revealing to me was that JD sat with them and changed their priorities. Rather than ranking players where they stood in terms of others at their position in the draft class and with other players overall in the draft class, JD has them looking at how they fit into the Jets' scheme, how they can contribute, what attributes the coaches could use in their systems, character, love for football, work ethic, and that kind of thing. I think we my have already seen a big turnaround in the draft. I think there is solid justification for every player that JD drafted. It's early, and some may not pan out, but with JD's experience and pedigree, I'm more confident than I have been in decades.

16. NCJetsfan

You know I'm on that island with Herndon and you.

#56 NCJetsfan, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I think he's frustrated that the team has prioritized the defense in round 1 for a while and that people want to go OL again in round 1 next year. I get where he's coming from. The skill position group needs more long term pieces than can grow with Sam. Just because it's possible to find day 2 WR's who can turn out to be good doesn't mean we should pass on an elite prospect like Chase if he's available when we pick.

I have no issue with anyone who disagrees with my take. I understand that CB and Edge aren't exactly strong positions on the roster now. I won't argue if we get Rousseau or Surtain in round 1. But, in order for Sam to have a shot at realizing his potential, the skill position group needs a boost. I do not buy the argument(not saying you're making it) that the current cast in sufficient. And, the development of Sam has to be priorities A, B, C, and D as it'll soon be time to decide whether he's worthy of a second contract.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

I would add that it also reflects upon the lack of knowledge of some fans on the realities of the Jets' team and the nature of the NFL these days. The NFL is a passing league and is all about scoring points. Like most of their history, the Jets are 10 years or more behind the curve of what the rest of the NFL is doing. Some fans here obviously think the NFL is still about Defense, 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Either that or their idea of building a team is strictly by value, and they don't value WRs or offensive skill players very highly. It's amazing and ridiculous!

I can think of only three periods in team history where they had professional-level offenses: the mid-to-late '60s with Namath, Maynard, Sauer Jr., Boozer, Snell, and Lamm; the '80s with Kenny O'Brien, Wesley Walker, Al Toon, Freeman McNeil, Johnny Hector, Mickey Shuler and others; and the short period with Ninny Interceptaverde, Chad, CuMar, and Chrebet. Those are the only eras where I really enjoyed watching the Jets play. For the rest of their history, they have been sub-par, if not an outright embarrassment offensively. It's disgusting!

#58 NCJetsfan, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. MaximusD163

While the Jets had better skill players at those times, don’t you think the driving force behind these periods were Namath, O’Brien, Testaverde, and Pennington?

20. NCJetsfan

The QB is definitely the most important aspect of any offense and the most important player on any team. Still, it doesn't matter how great a QB is if his WRs, TEs and RBs can't get open or can't catch the ball, or if his RB can't find a hole. None of those QBs would probably be thought of as good or great if they didn't have excellent talent around them.