SI Article on Mekhi Becton

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 3, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/ny...s-outlier-qualities-pre-training-camp-workout

In preparing for training camp, Jets first round pick Mekhi Becton shows that he's 'an outlier'

Kristian Dyer
    Aug 2, 2020

[​IMG]

In drafting Mekhi Becton, the New York Jets not only addressed a position of need in taking a franchise left tackle, they also got a prospect who is perhaps the most physically intriguing offensive lineman of the past decade.

To say that Becton, an All-ACC selection last year at Louisville, is a physical freak of nature, is to put it mildly.

Ahead of the NFL Combine in late February, Becton had been working out in Texas with Duke Manyweather. Arguably the nation’s top trainer specifying in offensive lineman, Manyweather has worked with some of the biggest names in the NFL over the years. He calls Becton “an outlier” and “something special.”

“I’ll say this, he has some characteristics and traits of many of the all-time greats,” Manyweather told Sports Illustrated’s Jets Country.

“He has a chance to be special if he can recognize his potential and of course, stay healthy.”

One look at Becton’s workouts with Manyweather shows a player with physical qualities that simply can’t be taught. Last week in video obtained by SportsIllustrated.com, Becton shows off not just his strength but his agility.

His 255-pound strict overhead press left Terron Armstead, a Pro Bowler each of the last two seasons, shaking his head in awe.

Manyweather’s facility in Dallas attracts some of the top offensive linemen in the NFL each offseason, and not just draft prospects.

In terms of future teammates, Becton knows two from the Manyweather facility. Jets fourth round pick Cameron Clark, a tackle out of Charlotte who projects as a guard, did his Combine prep with Manyweather. Jets guard Brian Winters also trains there during the offseason.

At the NFL Combine, Manyweather’s work with Becton turned heads, transforming the left tackle from Louisville from a late first round pick to a player who fell just outside the top 10 picks. Becton could have gone earlier in the draft had it not been for a flagged drug test at the combine.

At the Combine, Becton raised eyebrows when, all 6-foot-7 and 364 pounds of him ran a 40 time of 5.10. There was talk that he could be the first offensive tackle off the draft board and go within the first five selections.

Instead, the flagged test meant he fell to the Jets at No. 11, a team that had rebuilt their offensive line this offseason but were still missing an elite left tackle. In Becton, perhaps the most physically gifted left tackle to enter the NFL in quite some time, the Jets have a player with the potential to be a franchise left tackle for the next decade.

After the combine, Becton’s workout shifted from prepping for the 40 and individual workouts to getting ready for the NFL season and specifically, training camp. But it wasn’t a drastic shift in the workout regimen said Manyweather.

“[The] Focus remained the same the last few months. We wanted to make sure he was stable, mobile and flexible, that way we could safely and effectively continue to build absolute strength and functional power,” Manyweather said.

“We also had a heavy emphasis on movement quality as it related to any dynamic movement like running, jumping and change of direction, which directly piggybacks what we do with our offensive line specific type skill work.”

Manyweather said that when Becton left for Jets training camp, he weighed 364 pounds. His body, the trainer said, was 18 percent.

The article at SI has a video of Becton lifting the 255 pounds, plus a couple of other videos.

“We also had a heavy emphasis on movement quality as it related to any dynamic movement like running, jumping and change of direction, which directly piggybacks what we do with our offensive line specific type skill work.”

Manyweather said that when Becton left for Jets training camp, he weighed 364 pounds. His body, the trainer said, was 18 percent.

2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

It was really cool watching him on Instagram.

I started following him after we drafted him and he was constantly posting his workouts. Was definitely working his ass off to get where he's at.

Very excited about his potential!

JackBower, BudJet, FinnishJET and 3 others like this.
  3. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting, im super excited about him. I think he will blow open holes for bell and protect Sam well.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I really miss the days when the Jets had a great offensive line. It may not be an exciting position but it will be “exciting” when we watch Sam not get killed by pass rushers and Leveon Bell has holes to run through.

#4 Quinnenthebeast, Aug 3, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    Donttasemebro, Vida, BudJet and 8 others like this.
  5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I feel with Douglas all of the Jet's weaknesses, he will try to address. Traded away a loudmouth safety got 2 first and his replacement. Hope I never see another BPA defensive tackle in the top 5 of the first round taken by the Jets

6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

SI used to have professional editors back in the day.

ukjetsfan likes this.
  7. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Yeah uh.... The same exact quote is in the article 3 different times lol

8. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking. I was considering whether or not to say anything!

I've looked at some more stuff in that 'JetsCountry' section and it looks like they are written by trainee journalists and not even checked by anyone else. Shocking, for Sports Illustrated. The journalists should be doing better in the first place, but any writer can make a mistake. That's why you need subeditors. Or at least, that's why you used to need them.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

But I enjoyed the gist of the article and I hope we have found a real monster! Thanks for posting NC!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, definitely it was not checked carefully, and was probably written by a young trainee. Still, I found it interesting (but that may be because I'm a Jets junkie) and thought people would enjoy it even if was poorly written.

ukjetsfan likes this.
  11. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

No I definitely was happy to see literally anything Jets related, and not politics on TGG. I was just saying lol

boozer32 likes this.
  12. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Interesting read, if poorly edited. I’m looking forward to the 1 Jets Drive episode on Mekhi Becton.

NCJetsfan likes this.