2019-2020 New York Islanders thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by CBG, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

and we're through! YES! YES! YES!

stinkyB likes this.
  2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Either TB or Philly.

TB is undoubtedly the best team, but prone to playoff struggles. I recall not playing well against Philly this year despite a big comeback against them during our unbeaten streak.

pick your poison.

3. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I could be wrong but if Pitt loses to Montreal then the Isles get the Caps or Bruins. If Pitt wins then the Isles get Tampa or Philly.

twown likes this.
  4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Didnt get to see..... these weekday day games are tough for the workin man ;)

5. JetBlue

Won’t be the first time I’m wrong if so...

6. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

That's right - Isles have clinched the fifth seed (since Montreal beat Pittsburgh), so they play either Washington or Boston. That won't be determined until they play each other tomorrow.

Edit - I mean the Isles have clinched the sixth seed, and will play the winner of Washington-Boston.

#3666 statjeff22, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    The Dark Knight likes this.
  7. JetBlue

In anti-Islanders news, looks like the Leafs will join the Penguins and Rangers in the #1 pick sweepstakes, which is both satisfying and bittersweet if one of them gets it.

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was just reading that. Tomorrow is Flyers-Lightning. Winner takes on Montreal, loser likely Columbus(Or Toronto if they come back). Then Sunday the Capitals play the Bruins. Winner plays the Islanders, loser plays the Hurricanes.

I don't know who I would rather play. Each a good story line: Caps vs. Trotz or Caps vs. team that eliminated them in 2019.

9. statjeff22

Right - Islanders have clinched the sixth seed (not fifth as I said), and play the winner of Caps-Bruins.

Section 336 and The Dark Knight like this.
  10. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I watched every game of the Panthers series. It's such a likable team. I don't understand how the defense is so solid in general, and yet the PK is so sloppy. They seem very slow to rotate and coordinate. It worries me.

11. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I hope the Isles get the Caps. They seem to play competitive games against them . Boston is a nightmare. The Isles don't match up well with the B's. Both teams are tough but the Isles would have a better chance against the Caps IMHO.

12. statjeff22

Caps it is. Trotz vs. Caps is the story line.

BacktoQueens and The Dark Knight like this.
  13. The Dark Knight

I guess I am going to be in this thread for a couple weeks. Good luck, Islanders fans! :)

Can't wait. Hopefully Carlson and Eller are back asap for the Caps. I was happy with how they played today against the Bruins. Yes, Trotz will be the story line, but Holtby vs Varlamov is really interesting to me. Holtby pretty much replaced Varly on the Caps and has obviously been great. I think Varly and Trotz would love nothing more than to eliminate the Caps.
    Ask and you shall receive! ;) Should be a fun series.

JetBlue likes this.
  14. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Should be a good series. They went 2-2 against each other this year. What's weird is the Caps have won the last 4 games in NY but the Isles have won the last 4 in Washington. I guess we see who wins playing on a neutral sheet of ice in Toronto. For the Isles they need to stay out of the box. They are going to have to keep an eye on #8 in all situations but especially on the PP. What is the status with Carlson. Next to #8 he is probably the most important player on the Caps.

15. The Dark Knight

Yeah, he fell into the boards in the first bubble game against the Canes. I can't tell if he hurt his neck, shoulder, has a concussion, or what. It was an odd fall.

Everyone on tv keeps acting like the Isles won't be able to score as much as the Caps, but the Caps had 5 goals in their 3 games. Not like they are on fire. The Isles O looked good to me vs. the Panthers. I think it is a pretty even match-up.

Now if the two teams had a series in March before the pandemic, the Caps were on fire and the Isles looked out of sorts, it may be a different story. However, times have changed.

16. statjeff22

Worst-case scenario comes true in the draft lottery.

17. JetBlue

Or best case scenario in that the fans get delusions of the Cup and he never takes off.

18. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

When does the series start? ESPN is useless. Do Islanders have a chance? GO Islanders!

19. The Dark Knight

Wednesday at 3:00 is Game 1. Yes, the Isles have a chance. Unless a lucky break goes one team's way, this will probably be a long series going 6 or 7.

I feel like the Pens would have been worst case scenario. That would have driven me nuts.

Brook! likes this.
  20. statjeff22

Yes, but you haven't hated the Rangers for 47 years the way I have. More accurately, it's the obnoxious Ranger fans I've hated for 47 years, along with the obnoxious Ranger players of the mid-1970s to mid-1980s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.