Ranking of Each Unit of the Team

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 7, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/st...very-nfl-team-position-group-1-32-2020-season

Rich Cimini compiled a ranking of every unit on a team of every team in the NFL for the 2020 season. I'm not an ESPN subscriber, so I can't see all the rankings. The teaser above only shows the QB rankings (the Jets are 26th). If someone who is a subscriber could share the rest of the article, or at least share where each of the Jets' units are ranked, I'm sure that many here would find it interesting and it would lead to interesting discussion.

Thanks!

2. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Not a subscriber but I don’t think you’re going to get accurate rankings from the media. Most have a very pessimistic view of the Jets even for me.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

I'm not saying they'll be accurate from any media member, let alone Cimini, but think they would be interesting and would give us something to talk about.-

4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Going to say if they only rank Sam at 26th it is an article that will just be full of massive disappointment, so I'll just give it a miss.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

My Jets rankings

Quarterbacks C
    Running Backs B-
    Wide Receivers F
    Tight Ends C
    Offensive Line C-

Defensive Line B-
    Linebackers C
    Corners C-
    Safeties B-

Kicker F
    Punter ?

twown likes this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Here ya go:

Jets Rankings:
    QB-26
    RB-19
    WR-30
    TE-20
    Adam Gase's offenses haven't been particularly kind to the tight end position, but he managed to resurrect the career of Ryan Griffin (34-320-5 receiving line) last season, and he'll have Chris Herndon back in the fold in 2020. Herndon missed all but 16 snaps because of injury in 2019, but he impressed as a fourth-round rookie in 2018 with his 9.0 yards per target, fourth among rookie tight ends since 2007.
    OL-19
    Quarterback Sam Darnold was pressured on a league-high 28% of his dropbacks, and running back Le'Veon Bell had to deal with a horrific 1.63 yards before contact last season. In turn, GM Joe Douglas cleaned house along the offensive line during the offseason, positioning the improved unit with five new starters compared to Week 1 of 2019. Mekhi Becton was drafted in the first round to man left tackle, and George Fant (RT), Connor McGovern (C), Greg Van Roten (G) were signed as potential new starters. The overhauled line is far from perfect but is a major improvement from 2019.
    DL-15
    EDGE-31 Only the Rams are worse at 32.
    LB-22
    CB-32
    The Colts have overhauled their cornerback room in recent seasons, which might seem like an odd observation in this section, but it makes sense when you consider that the Jets have built their 2020 cornerback room primarily out of Indianapolis castoffs. Former Colts Pierre Desir, Arthur Maulet, Quincy Wilson and Nate Hairston (not to mention S Matthias Farley) are all competing for significant snaps (perhaps every-down roles) this season in New York. Brian Poole is a solid slot option, but youngsters Blessuan Austin and Bryce Hall have a lot to prove.
    S-22
    Overall: DEAD LAST at 32
    The Jets seemed to be headed the right direction after their aforementioned offensive line overhaul, but the trade of Adams to Seattle coupled with C.J. Mosley's opt out all but sinks this team's chances of a Cinderella run to a playoff berth. In fact, aside of the Quinnen Williams-led interior defensive line, it's fair to say New York's four other defensive units are below average or poor. The offense isn't much better, which puts a lot of pressure on unproven Darnold to make a big leap in his third NFL season. A fifth consecutive losing season appears to be on the horizon for arguably the league's worst team on paper.

Not very uplifting for Jets fans. Interesting that Safety is still ranked 22 even without Adams. (Seattle ranked 3rd)

7. NCJetsfan

Thanks, DK!!!

I figured Cimini would grade the Jets pretty low. I don't know the rest of the NFL as well as I used to, but some of the numbers seem too low. With Sam and Flacco, and a good your prospect in Morgan, we rank 26th? I have a hard time believing that there are 25 teams in the NFL who have a better QB group than the Jets. If so, then we're even worse off talent-wise than I thought, which would make the Jets finishing 6-2 last season all the more remarkable.

I'm not surprised that the WR corps is ranked 30th. Hopefully they'll find out about that and it will give them a little added incentive/motivation to prove Cimini and the naysayers wrong.

I am surprised that the OL, RB and TE groups are ranked as high as they are, but also surprised that the DL is ranked as low as it is.

I hope that some guys who know the rest of the NFL better than I will chime in to give a clearer, more accurate picture of where we are.

8. Quinnenthebeast

As you can see it’s a joke. I’m one of the more pessimistic (realistic?) fans on here but according to this article, they should end up being worst in the league if you base it on their talent alone. Even for me that’s kinda nuts (we all know the Jets will win those pointless games to stay out of the Lawrence sweepstakes). Despite that, I think the Jets floor with this hard schedule is about 4-5 games which most likely wouldn’t make them the worst in the league.

#8 Quinnenthebeast, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    FJF, barfolomew and The Dark Knight like this.
  9. K'OB

As suspected a massive pile of shit, we are most certainly not the worst team in the NFL and that is basically why nothing said in that article warrants a second thought.

tomdeb, Leicester Jet and IDFjet like this.
  10. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

A true testament/indictment of Mike Maccagnan’s 5 drafts as well as Todd Bowles and his staff’s inability to develop players.

tomdeb, NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. Quinnenthebeast

It’s hard to put an accurate ranking on it when so more of our team turned over and there is a lot of competition at multiple positions. Too many unknowns at this point, so I figured with us being the Jets they would assume the worst.

K'OB likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Buy the subscription dude. Isn't it like $4....

13. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I think the Jets are pretty darn close to the worst in the league, especially when you start breaking down by unit like they have.

The one unit that they got way wrong though was Quarterback. Sam has shown enough to be way above that and we do have a Super Bowl winning veteran back up.
    That alone will raise us to the below average but above the bottom level.

OL and WR can take a huge step up this year.
    Mims, Campbell and Cager could boost this unit more than anyone thinks.
    Having Becton as anchor, if we can get an Oline that can be stable and gel we have enough talent there to be respectable.

themorey likes this.
  14. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Fuck ESPN lol

barfolomew, FJF and Leicester Jet like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

With all the free information online I wouldn't spend a dime on paying for a subscription service like ESPN's bullshit. But if I wanted to read it I'd just buy it rather than ask for it for free..

barfolomew and IDFjet like this.
  16. K'OB

You wouldn't make much of a Scotsman, Cumbrian or indeed Yorkshireman with that attitude fella :p

17. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I literally haven't watched anything on ESPN in about 2 years except live sports and college football game day.

They've become way too political for my taste and the sportscenter anchors are the absolute worst. Trying to be stand up comics instead of just showing highlights.

#17 Lon Chaney, Aug 9, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    Leicester Jet, RochesterJet and FJF like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

I didn't want to read the article. I was only interested in the Jets' data. As some others said, ESPN isn't worth subscribing to.

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

So the wind up is we suck for a change?...well as somebody we all know just said "it is what it is"

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

There no money in painting the jets as mediocre. No one would click that. Put them as really bad and the SOJ lad plus the jet haters both click that shit up like a lab rat trying to earn cheese.

Lon Chaney and K'OB like this.